Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Wales's Gareth Thomas. Paddy Power blog for the tour
    "With the risk of being banned from Ireland, I agree with what Warren Gatland has done," .
    "Dricco and Jonathan Davies didn't partner all that well together in the second Test. What Gatland has gone for is a combination that plays well together. They know each other's game and Jonathan Davies is lucky to be the survivor of a bad centre partnership only because Jamie Roberts has come in to the side and they've played together before. That's what has kept him in the team.
    "Keith Wood said that the decision to drop O'Driscoll was a 'terrible mistake'. But If I was a coach, I wouldn't give a sh** what Keith Wood said. I wouldn't give a sh** what I said. I wouldn't give a sh** what anyone else said because if they lose then Warren Gatland is going to get his arse dragged across hot coals. Of course, if you take the money you take the sh**. However, if they win then people like Keith Wood are going to go back into their hole.
    "Ultimately as a coach and as a team that's what they're going to be judged on, so sometimes ballsy calls need to be made. This is one I agree with."

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was the cursing really necessary. How crude. :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'll be happy if we win for SOB Sexton and Bowe, I'll be delighted if they get hockeyed for the shoddy one dimensional tactics and vastly weighted Wales side selected that IMO kinds pisses on the idea of a mixed team to me... along the lines of the rants the english had about of how they should just send their team to the lions tour since they considered themselves the best team in the lions nations. Oh and denying BoD a final test for reasons must pundits are baffled by.

This Lions has left a bad taste in my mouth and it isnt even over, and I am far from alone with that sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This Lions has left a bad taste in my mouth and it isnt even over, and I am far from alone with that sentiment.
    Totally agree with this, I will watch the game, but I'm gutted that they dropped BOD as it certainly doesn't appear to be based on improving the team

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

smurfjed wrote: »
    Totally agree with this, I will watch the game, but I'm gutted that they dropped BOD as it certainly doesn't appear to be based on improving the team

smurfjed

Never mind BOD-gate, this Lions tour was distinctly underwhelming well before Gatty dropped the BOD-bomb. The Lions has become a massive triumph of hype and corporate overkill over substance, just like so many rugby competitions in recent years. The 6 nations is exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Being a bitter person who thinks both gatlands selection and tactics have been rather weak and inconsistent this tour i can only hope if the lions do win tomorrow,it is in large part due to the performances of the non-welsh players,and that if the lions lose,its becuase players like phillips and roberts have been awful.

for me the lions can play a lot better than we have seen in 2 tests so far,but so are australia capable of playing much better so i think it could go either way.too hard to call.Lucky we werent touring nz this time around-think we would have been well beaten 3-0.been really diappointed with lions this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would be happy if the forwards could win while the backs lose somehow. Expose Howley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would be happy if the forwards could win while the backs lose somehow. Expose Howley.

For all the talk about gatland, howley really has shown himself up to not have a clue how to best use the backline talent available to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Its a great shame that its come to this though, isn't it?

The Lions Legend used to mean something, it was a pinnacle to be approached once every 4 years, it was the best of the best against the alien foe from the other side of the world, the journey itself was a daunting pilgrimage, let alone the tactics to beat the opposition from the SH

The best of the best?? come on, Wade? Shane on zimmer frame , Tom Court straight from the sunbed and Gatland playing one dimensional bosh rugby, selecting from a palette of favoured sons, negating and devaluing the skills of those left on the sidelines because they don't fit his vision (a vision which has failed many times in the recent history)

I feel let down tbh, yes BOD is a factor, but the hysteria I don't share, Id put BOD there in a heartbeat, gatland hasn't, ok, fair enough. But I feel more than that, I feel cheated, let down, we haven't even kicked a ball in the decider and already the Lions as a brand, as a legend and as a legacy for the future seems tragically devalued by one dimensional tactics and favoured selections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

BBDBB wrote: »
    Its a great shame that its come to this though, isn't it?

The Lions Legend used to mean something, it was a pinnacle to be approached once every 4 years, it was the best of the best against the alien foe from the other side of the world, the journey itself was a daunting pilgrimage, let alone the tactics to beat the opposition from the SH

The best of the best?? come on, Wade? Shane on zimmer frame , Tom Court straight from the sunbed and Gatland playing one dimensional bosh rugby, selecting from a palette of favoured sons, negating and devaluing the skills of those left on the sidelines because they don't fit his vision (a vision which has failed many times in the recent history)

I feel let down tbh, yes BOD is a factor, but the hysteria I don't share, Id put BOD there in a heartbeat, gatland hasn't, ok, fair enough. But I feel more than that, I feel cheated, let down, we haven't even kicked a ball in the decider and already the Lions as a brand, as a legend and as a legacy for the future seems tragically devalued by one dimensional tactics and favoured selections

Add the sky **** fest to that, and the whole tour has been dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Being a bitter person who thinks both gatlands selection and tactics have been rather weak and inconsistent this tour i can only hope if the lions do win tomorrow,it is in large part due to the performances of the non-welsh players,and that if the lions lose,its becuase players like phillips and roberts have been awful.

Personally, I hope if the Lions lose tomorrow, it's because all of the players on the pitch have had a great game, but Gatland's crappy tactics and incredibly questionable decisions on this tour are the main culprit for the loss, and he has been shown up as the poison on this Lions tour that he is. I would hate to see Philips or Roberts or Davies taking abuse or flak from fans and the media simply because they were picked to play.

To be quite honest, I have no idea what I think about this game tomorrow anymore. I'm as neutral as I've ever been for a Lions game at the moment. I've had swings of mood; between wanting Australia to hammer the Lions and see that smug grin wiped off of Gatland's face, and seeing the smiles and happiness on the faces of SO'B, Murray, Sexton, BOD, and all the other players that put in the effort and deserve to come home with something to show for it. It actually pains me to get behind any team that goes out looking like it's been setup to play such negative, anti-rugby; it was the same seeing Ireland under Kidney, but at least I could still get behind my own country and sense of national pride. As I simply don't have that with the Lions, I've decided to just remain neutral. Whatever happens, happens and good luck to our lads over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't really get the people who hope the Lions lose because of this decision. Schadenfreude at its ugliest.

I'm as upset as anybody for O Driscoll but I'm still hoping the Lions win the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

Aidric wrote: »
    I don't really get the people who hope the Lions lose because of this decision. Schadenfreude at its ugliest.

I'm as upset as anybody for O Driscoll but I'm still hoping the Lions win the series.

People want to see Gatland fail because of his poor decisions and it's not really the lions team anymore, it's the welsh team.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I had some spare time on the train this evening so I watched back the entire 2nd Test looking only at BOD and Davies. BOD was excellent bar a couple of poor decisions. Davies was really poor bar the (very) odd good move.

I'm actually sorry I didn't make out a list of moments where they were involved and the outcomes. It would tell a serious story.

People saying BOD hasn't been great this tour seem to be forgetting that he shouldn't be compared to himself at his peak but instead at how Davies is currently playing. There's just no comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

I had some spare time on the train this evening so I watched back the entire 2nd Test looking only at BOD and Davies. BOD was excellent bar a couple of poor decisions. Davies was really poor bar the (very) odd good move.

I'm actually sorry I didn't make out a list of moments where they were involved and the outcomes. It would tell a serious story.

People saying BOD hasn't been great this tour seem to be forgetting that he shouldn't be compared to himself at his peak but instead at how Davies is currently playing. There's just no comparison...

Yeah you are right, The Guardian newspaper also agrees with you

"O'Driscoll made 23 tackles in the first two Tests, as many as any other Lion. He did not miss one. Davies missed three in the last game alone, including one on Adam Ashley-Cooper when he crossed for the try. O'Driscoll has also made more offloads, and won more turn-overs."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭twinytwo

there be no telling the welsh that....

Besides if the lions win tomorrow, i dont think bod will mind too much that he didnt play.... all we have to do it beat the ABS in the AI's and he can retire a happy man

Yeah you are right, The Guardian newspaper also agrees with you

"O'Driscoll made 23 tackles in the first two Tests, as many as any other Lion. He did not miss one. Davies missed three in the last game alone, including one on Adam Ashley-Cooper when he crossed for the try. O'Driscoll has also made more offloads, and won more turn-overs."

but, but but he's past his best you know

it must be true, I read it on an internet forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

twinytwo wrote: »
    there be no telling the welsh that....

Besides if the lions win tomorrow, i dont think bod will mind too much that he didnt play.... all we have to do it beat the ABS in the AI's and he can retire a happy man

Sod that. A WC looms. May as well win everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

BBDBB wrote: »
    but, but but he's past his best you know

it must be true, I read it on an internet forum ;)

If you don't think he is past his best, you must have a very low opininon of BOD when he was at his peak. Just because he is the best option and a great player, doesn't mean he is as good as he was.

If you don't think he is past his best, you must have a very low opininon of BOD when he was at his peak. Just because he is the best option and a great player, doesn't mean he is as good as he was.

hang on, I need to read that again before I decide whether to embrace you to my arms or smite you with an internet reposte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Quint2010 wrote: »

One of the best analysts around. He is on twitter now btw and is pretty good to engage. https://twitter.com/MattRCNM

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

I watched it this morning as well,
    - Davies ONE pass in the game was after Murrays quick tap and go trying to get field position for 1/2p, interestingly BOD made his biggest yards in that play as well,

- The ease that Davies was blown off a counter ruck as well, the same ruck that gave Aus the quick ball to set up their try stood out,

and just on Gatlands boosh-ball and failure of anything imaginative with the players he has in the backline, WTF was he doing with the ~12 man?? line out after 10 minutes??

last point, Tommy Bowe was talking during a clip on BBC newsline this morning (He's also been shown on SSN all day but this sound bite was obvious in its omission) and he stated how frustrated he was chasing kicks and not getting any ball in to his hands, the lack of a plan to play the wingers as anything but defenders and strike runners (North) is ridiculous.

I hope the Irish lads make a good show of themselves tomorrow, but equally I'd love to see Gatland humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭twinytwo

http://thewaisaletimes.wordpress.com/

this is worth a read.... while its obviously not real... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Newsnight on BBC2 getting in on the act - they just rolled the closing credits to the tune of Bread of Heaven.

Every member of the production crew were listed as Jones. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Quint2010 wrote: »

Yes, but with the proviso he's an Aussie himself, of course. It kind of reminds me of the 2007 RWC - most people were happy Aussie & NZ got knocked out, but it just reinforced the view that the English & SA methods, which are very similar to the Lions gameplan so far, is what is required to win knockout rugby. I just hope that whatever side comes out on the right side of the ledger tomorrow has played the more enterprising game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just watched the Sky preview programme. Nice interview with Leafilano. I wonder if he'll be the difference tomorrow. Nerves of steel with his goalkicking and without labouring the point the Lions midfield defence mightn't be what it was and he and AAC might get a bit of change out of it. It will be very interesting to see the contrast in styles between him and Roberts. It may even be game defining.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Won't be watching tomorrow.

Can't imagine the backs will do anything.

I hope Phillips has a stormer because that's the only way I see the Lions winning this one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭leakyboots

duckysauce wrote: »
    Add the sky **** fest to that, and the whole tour has been dire.

No it hasn't, there's been some cracking games in there. If you want to blame anyone for some lacklustre games you look at the ARU, not the Lions or Sky Spurts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

leakyboots wrote: »
    No it hasn't, there's been some cracking games in there. If you want to blame anyone for some lacklustre games you look at the ARU, not the Lions or Sky Spurts

:D

Shane Williams Oh yeah ARU me hole

Advertisement