Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Even as Ronan is retired. I do love how he always gets a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

bilston wrote: »
    Come on man pull yourself together!

Thanks.
    I made an effort this evening - watched some BOD greatest hits on Youtube. They did cheer me up a little, but as each one finished, Gatland came to mind again, and a tear rolled down my cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Almaviva wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I made an effort this evening - watched some BOD greatest hits on Youtube. They did cheer me up a little, but as each one finished, Gatland came to mind again, and a tear rolled down my cheek.

He'll play again next season, you'll have plenty of new highlights to watch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Seriously looking forward to the reception the Welsh boys receive at the Aviva in the 6N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Seriously looking forward to the reception the Welsh boys receive at the Aviva in the 6N.

It'll be fine, doubt anyone has any real qualms with the Welsh players themselves (it's not Davies fault he's been picked ahead of the embodiment of our nation's hopes and dreams). Gatland will get the brunt of any abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rumours floating around on twitter that Tuilagi might be injured with a hamstring strain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Speaking of ROG, I wonder if there is much overlap between the people in uproar now about BOD and the people who were ridiculing those who were in a similar place when ROG was dropped during the 6N.

Big difference. There was a better form player at the time to step into his place.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Rumours floating around on twitter that Tuilagi might be injured with a hamstring strain

bb1.jpg

Convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

rumours growing that Tuilagi might not be fit. If so, I reckon he'll add Cuthbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I have to say, I've enjoyed the outrage in the forum. It's mostly faux outrage and tongue firmly in cheek. I think some people are missing that tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Piliger wrote: »
    I simply do not accept your main point. There is NO case to be made for dropping the best centre, the best attacking centre and the best defending centre in the home countries at the very least. Simply no case. I have not seen anyone make such a case in any convincing way, and it has nothing to do with green glasses. I for one thought BOD was finished two years ago but he has proved me wrong and come back to the top of the game. Not for bish bash bosh or any other style of rugby.

As for supporting the Lions, I find your logic bizarre. I won't support the Aussies but I won't be watching or supporting anyone.

Of course there is a case for dropping BOD, I may not agree with it, you may not agree with it, but a case can be made.

Why do you think Gatland has done it ?

I find your logic bizarre in the extreme , I presume you supported the Lions up until now ? So because one man is dropped you withdraw you support
    Even though there are other Irishmen on the team ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    rumours growing that Tuilagi might not be fit. If so, I reckon he'll add Cuthbert.

No, he'd bench BOD. It's not that he dislikes him, just he thinks he is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rightwing wrote: »
    No, he'd bench BOD. It's not that he dislikes him, just he thinks he is not good enough.

I don't even think it's a case of that. He just wants his welsh combo in midfield.

.ak wrote: »
    I don't even think it's a case of that. He just wants his welsh combo in midfield.

That too without doubt, but if Tuilagi is injured, he'd have no hesitation in putting BOD in. I've a bit of sympathy for Gatty here, tough decision, goes without saying massive sympathy for BOD too. Just 1 of those calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Rightwing wrote: »
    That too without doubt, but if Tuilagi is injured, he'd have no hesitation in putting BOD in. I've a bit of sympathy for Gatty here, tough decision, goes without saying massive sympathy for BOD too. Just 1 of those calls.

he is going for bosh he will bench cutbert... if he was ever going to put bod in the team he woud have started him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Cuthbert would be the replacement.

But I've a feeling this story is a load of bull anyways and Tuilagi is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Horrible rumour to release just before bed time- twitter now sayin its a deliberate rumour

Think it all stems from some poster on the Planet Rugby forums. Funny how these things snowball.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Even if it were true it would make no sense to have BOD benching instead of Manu. What happens if a winger goes down? As already talked abou yesterday Tuilagi provides a modicum of wing cover, BOD provides none whatsoever. So sorry to say if Tuilagi is out then Cuthbert or someone other than BOD will bench, on the basis that Tommy or Farrell would then be centre cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Could gatland be a genius
    Could he call up bod to fill in for someone last min, and then but bod on the pitch for the last 15 mins when the oz are out on their feet !!! Surley he can't think a welsh team will beat them !!

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Superbus wrote: »
    bb1.jpg

Convenient.

This pic demonstrates in my mind why he was dropped, purely on bulk. Its class however how chuffed Manu clearly is ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

.ak wrote: »
    I have to say, I've enjoyed the outrage in the forum. It's mostly faux outrage and tongue firmly in cheek. I think some people are missing that tho...

The argument has fallen firmly on the side of blind loyalty. Hard for an Irishman to distance himself from it.

When you step out of the green mist however, you have to acknowledge that BOD has been average in the tests, yes good defensively but no real attacking threat.

That said he should definitely have been on the bench. Dropping him from the matchday squad entirely was a step too far and ultimately, I feel, a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Aidric wrote: »
    The argument has fallen firmly on the side of blind loyalty. Hard for an Irishman to distance himself from it.

When you step out of the green mist however, you have to acknowledge that BOD has been average in the tests, yes good defensively but no real attacking threat.

That said he should definitely have been on the bench. Dropping him from the matchday squad entirely was a step too far and ultimately, I feel, a mistake.

The real problem for me is that it's Davies who has taken his place. He was very poor last Saturday. The two main errors BO'D made stemmed from trying to cover for errors by Davies.

Therefore the decision can't be one on form and if partnerships are so important, then Conor Murray should be wearing number nine. Even outside of the partnership element, Murray has been in better form than Phillips on the tour.

It is the hypocrisy of Gatland which has annoyed me.

The amount of changes from test to test have been bizarre and unprecedented in the history of the Lions. I expect Australia to win comfortably on Saturday and given NZ are up next, as others have already said on here, the Lions are likely to go 5 series without a series win.

This was a series that was very winnable and I think the Lions would have won with many coaches who hadn't payed such a limited predictable gameplan. Gatland will justifiably receive huge criticism if they fail on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tom Shanklin has apparently been spotted making his way to the airport.

ROG:

O’Gara revealed that he rang his long-time Ireland captain on Wednesday after Warren Gatland’s selection was made public – and described the Leinster man as “choked”.
    “It’s the greatest kick in the b****x he could ever get. Horrific,” O’Gara said.
    “He has to live with that now. Threw will be a captain’s meeting today and he was probably preparing a speech for that from Monday. And then he gets the tap on the shoulder from Warren.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

AngeGal wrote: »
    The real problem for me is that it's Davies who has taken his place. He was very poor last Saturday. The two main errors BO'D made stemmed from trying to cover for errors by Davies.

Therefore the decision can't be one on form and if partnerships are so important, then Conor Murray should be wearing number nine. Even outside of the partnership element, Murray has been in better form than Phillips on the tour.

It is the hypocrisy of Gatland which has annoyed me.

The amount of changes from test to test have been bizarre and unprecedented in the history of the Lions. I expect Australia to win comfortably on Saturday and given NZ are up next, as others have already said on here, the Lions are likely to go 5 series without a series win.

This was a series that was very winnable and I think the Lions would have won with many coaches who hadn't payed such a limited predictable gameplan. Gatland will justifiably receive huge criticism if they fail on Saturday.
    +1,
    I think you hit the nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Here's my problem with a lot of the people criticizing BOD. Everyone is saying his defense is outstanding but his attack is not what it use to be. Can someone honestly tell me there was a good platform for any 13 in the world to attack from in the first two tests? Davies passed the ball once in the second test, what does that tell you about your first and second centers. The Lions played last week to defend not attack. BOD did that well, Davies did not.

I can understand people making the argument of bish bash bosh but when people criticise BOD for attack, what the hell does it say about Davies over the first two tests. Gatland has set this team up for that kind of rugby and Roberts becoming injured threw a spanner in the works for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Care to point out who has been an attacking threat???..... apart from north who has one or two good runs. Drico has done more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Every single pundit has come out and said it was a mistake. Even Tim Horan today has called it a huge error. I don't think it has anything to do with 'green mist'.

Advertisement