Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

.ak wrote: »
    Very few that don't come from a Welsh source as well tho.

Maybe, BUT the poster in question did say "every single pundit"

Quite a few on the other side of the coin were Irish.

Well to be fair Woodward is hardly the pinnacle of impartiality seeing as he and BOD had a well publicised argument this week.

I am just respnding to the claim that "every single pundit" agreed it was a bad call, when they quite clearly didnt..welsh , irish or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

vkid wrote: »

You did have a few Aussies like Eddie Jones saying it, whether they were playing mind games with Gatland or not is another thing, because I can remember Jones from years back was a master at mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think it's a really difficult call. I don't buy the defensive stuff, BOD is far superior. Davies imo has more potential in attack, he hasn't shown it yet in this tour, but he could deliver tomorrow.

Ah yeah, but then you're crossing fingers and stuff. BOD is the better attacking 13 than Davies, based on every minute of rugby played in 2013. So it doesn't make too much sense.

Davies is just there to run through players. He won't have the same hands as BOD.

Yeah fair enough. I would say it's 90/10 in favour of BOD tho going by google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

I listened to BBC5 live last night. One and a half hours of Rugby talk.
    It seems the English are as mystified as us.

Worth a listen If you have the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0367cf5

The BBC correspondent following the lions tour (forget his name) was accosted by three Welsh fans and was accused
    of being anti welsh. His only crime was to write about how poor the non selection of BOD was.
    I suppose the Welsh just being welsh. A chip on both shoulders.

that argument would seriously damage our credibility on the issue...under no circumstances should gatland give o'driscoll a last hurrah for the sake of it

i'm not sure. I've been talking to people who very little about rugby and rarely watch it and they can't believe he has been dropped. That's sentiment. Probably only BOD could generate that amount of it here.

This is how I'd analyse it for tomorrow's match, 2 scenarios:

1. BOD + sentiment > Davies

2. BOD = Davies.

So I'd go with BOD.

No abuse of pundits/coaches/players etc. please

i'm not sure. I've been talking to people who very little about rugby and rarely watch it and they can't believe he has been dropped. That's sentiment. Probably only BOD could generate that amount of it here.

This is how I'd analyse it for tomorrow's match, 2 scenarios:

1. BOD + sentiment > Davies

2. BOD = Davies.

So I'd go with BOD.

IMO I think it's as simple as

BOD > Davies.

However, Gatland sees this

Size > BOD

BOD > Davies.

Size > BOD

Unfortunately that's the way he sees it alright, also explains why Tuilagi is on the bench, a big powerful lad, who should be on the team imo.

• Advertisement

BOD > Davies.

Size > BOD

Not sure. I still believe a tried and tested partnership at centre is what Gatland is looking at, to play the style of game he wants. Regardless of whether we like that style or not, Gatland obviously sees that as the winning format.

Not sure. I still believe a tried and tested partnership at centre is what Gatland is looking at, to play the style of game he wants. Regardless of whether we like that style or not, Gatland obviously sees that as the winning format.

Yeah, I agree with that.

So I should've said

Welsh Combo > BOD

It's his call, ultimately, but I think he's wrong. And ofcourse, win or lose, it doesn't change the fact it's completely against what the Lions are all about.

If it was just about winning the series then they should just play the 6N champs every 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

mmm...how can i rephrase my criticism of Gatlands selection...
    He is sticking to a gameplan that is not maximising the talents of the lions. He is willing to sacrifice BO'D to demonstrate how sure he is. & gamble the series on it.
    He is a gentlemen who is very sure of himself

mmm...how can i rephrase my criticism of Gatlands selection...
    He is sticking to a gameplan that is not maximising the talents of the lions. He is willing to sacrifice BO'D to demonstrate how sure he is. & gamble the series on it.
    He is a gentlemen who is very sure of himself

That's probably an accurate assessment. However, I won't criticise him unless we lose tomorrow. People disagree on the matter, but I think this tour is all about winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm not sure. I've been talking to people who very little about rugby and rarely watch it and they can't believe he has been dropped. That's sentiment.
    well they know best!

People disagree on the matter, but I think this tour is all about winning.

So do I...its what he is paid to do. He's not paid big bucks to be a nice guy, give everyone a go for the sake of it, give BOD his fairy tale ending

he's paid to win the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

So do I...its what he is paid to do. He's not paid big bucks to be a nice guy, give everyone a go for the sake of it, give BOD his fairy tale ending

He's paid to coach the Lions. The Lions isnt just about winning, if it was it wouldnt still be going, they dont win very often. Its much more about the event than the result.

He's paid to coach the Lions. The Lions isnt just about winning, if it was it wouldnt still be going, they dont win very often. Its much more about the event than the result.

Really? More about the event than the result? Sure whats the point so? A jolly for the lads every couple of years,.

Why is everyone so worked up about BOD being dropped if its more about the event than anything else.

Don't buy that one myself now, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And dropping BOD is the way to do that?!

It's nothing to do with being a nice guy or giving BOD a fairytale ending

Tox56 wrote: »
    And dropping BOD is the way to do that?!

It's nothing to do with being a nice guy or giving BOD a fairytale ending

We won't know until tomorrow.

I never said it was about being a nice guy, or giving BOD a fairy tale ending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Well look at it this way..
    ..should increase sales of his future Autobiography :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Really? More about the event than the result? Sure whats the point so? A jolly for the lads every couple of years,.

Why is everyone so worked up about BOD being dropped if its more about the event than anything else.

Don't buy that one myself now, but each to their own.

Jolly for the lads ? These are profession players being paid to play in a professional team. This event is a huge draw, it brings people to these regions, they sell tickets, they sell gear. Packed stadiums, millions buying tv subscriptions, amazing for local rugby and clubs to get games against such a high quality opposition. If it was just about the result it would be one game Lions v Aussies. Get the result, why bother with a tour ??

Everyone is so worked up because Brian O'Driscoll is one of the best players out there, a legend of the game and the Lions, who is the best person in the squad to captain and start at 13. Its players like him that make these things worth watching, that sell tickets and pack stadiums. But he was dropped so Gatland can try eek out a result with his crappy plan that hasnt worked to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Anyone have a link to ROGs article about BOD being dropped?

Obviously this one will be judged in retrospect. If the Lions win it's a first series win in 16 years and Gatland's stock goes up and the dropping of BOD dispappears.. If they lose the O'Driscoll decision comes back again...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I see Geech and Telfer have both said droppoing O'Driscoll is a mistake. You see if the Lions lose tomorrow there is going to be some comeback for Gatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

bilston wrote: »
    I see Geech and Telfer have both said droppoing O'Driscoll is a mistake. You see if the Lions lose tomorrow there is going to be some comeback for Gatty.

but BOD being dropped is only the tip of that iceberg if they lose. its Gatlands tactical play and selections that are drawing the flak (and rightly so imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I really hope the Lions smash the crap out of the Aussies and win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

leonard7 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to ROGs article about BOD being dropped?

Not much use yet, but his articles go online here, nothing up yet though http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/ronan-ogara/

Jolly for the lads ? These are profession players being paid to play in a professional team. This event is a huge draw, it brings people to these regions, they sell tickets, they sell gear. Packed stadiums, millions buying tv subscriptions, amazing for local rugby and clubs to get games against such a high quality opposition. If it was just about the result it would be one game Lions v Aussies. Get the result, why bother with a tour ??

Everyone is so worked up because Brian O'Driscoll is one of the best players out there, a legend of the game and the Lions, who is the best person in the squad to captain and start at 13. Its players like him that make these things worth watching, that sell tickets and pack stadiums. But he was dropped so Gatland can try eek out a result with his crappy plan that hasn't worked to date.

I dunno, i give up. People seem to be just upset that BOD was dropped.

Him being a legend of the game is completely and utterly irrelevant. Lots of legends around still alive, should we haul out John hayes too?

AS for Gatlands "crappy plan that hasnt worked", was BOD not part of that. Who's to say the Lions wont win without BOD being of it. Or that, god forbid a centre pairing without BOD in it might actually work..?

Anyway , carry on lads. I've enough BOD and faux outrage this week to last me a life time.

C'mon the Lions, I hope they knock 7 shades of Sh!te out of the Ozzies and BOD not being involved won't change that. I hope the Irish players that did make the team have a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

By playing a game plan that has failed 8 out of 9 times, using players that have failed on most of those occasions?

Advertisement