Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

As Greystones, Poolbeg and Clogherhead are all blank then I would shape t the Dalkey area is not much better.

Eh no it aint...not on the South Bull Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Eh no it aint...not on the South Bull Wall

No offence Paddy147 but based on your history here I wouldn't believe one word from you.

Others here and on other forums are reporting little or nothing along the east coast from shore at the moment yet you seem to catch them every trip!

No offence Paddy147 but based on your history here I wouldn't believe one word from you.

Others here and on other forums are reporting little or nothing along the east coast from shore at the moment yet you seem to catch them every trip!

No offense taken...(Im not that sort of person.:p:):D).

But I tell it like it is......(another member also reported Mackerel being caught at Poolbeg)

My angling and angling skills and experience comes from my competition backround.

I know what bait to use for various locations and I also read the tides and weather very well,when I plan my fishing trips.

Now as I have allready posted here..........I have caught some Mackerel in Balscadden.on South Bull Wall (Poolbeg) and also just off shore on the beach in Wicklow last night.

I posted some pics and have posted catch locations and catch reports.

Believe me or dont believe me...Im not bothered if you dont believe me.

Regards.

PS-Would be nice though if you might stop complaining all the time via your posts though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

enough of the handbags folks. This thread is for reports about mackerel only.
    Please keep on topic

For any of the non believers.......

As previuosly posted by another member and also by myself here too Mackerel are indeed being caught down at Poolbeg (South Bull Wall).

Thats 2 verified reports on Poolbeg.

Happy Angling

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

poolbeg from 10 until 1.30 this afternoon had people lure fishing, feathers, and float without success. some were very experienced anglers and said it is the slowest start for mackerel in many years. I went up to mornington after that but only a few young fellas about with no catches but not surprised as they didn't seem to know what they were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod- final warning. Next off topic or personal insults post can have a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seems a bad year this year considering the great weather I would've thought the end of June would've had them. Maybe the end of July start of August will have them in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Myself and @jonnykitedude fished Skerries last night from our kayaks and we blanked. We did however see one mack being caught by a guy fishing from the pier. Now he could have caught more but we only spotted the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Here is a pic from Friday at Poolbeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Was at the ballycotton pier this morning caught just 5 mackerel, well something is better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

Anyone heard of much around bullock harbour?

i saw two fellas in an inflatable dingy at bullock last week not very far out that had caught about 12 mackerel in a short space of time

mackerel arrived just off Kilmore quay on saturday, and I mean proper shoal's , guys reeling in six full hooks at a time for most of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Sprats on the beach and Mackeral just off shore at a rocky beach near Youghal. Didnt see it myself but report are 100 million percent reliable. Small sprats but its still early for this beach mark. Anyone eat sprats ? I know guys that prefer them to Macks

14 fishing Clogherhead 3 hours before and 1 after high tide this morning. Not a thing caught. Water was lifeless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Howth yesterday east peir not a thing. Balscadden saw a small mac taking on feathers. Not even a nibble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I reckon yas are all just brutal at mackerel fishing :)

Kilmore sunday 21/7/13 just some of what I caught

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

caught off a boat in kilmore I assume not from beach/harbour

Either that or they dont believe you...:pac::D

• Advertisement

Some nice sized mackerel being caught about 120 yards off shore at The Lions Head in Howth.

Forgot to say,2 hours before full tide and cast as far as you possibly can.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Some nice sized mackerel being caught about 120 yards off shore at The Lions Head in Howth.

Forgot to say,2 hours before full tide and cast as far as you possibly can.

Was that today or June 2009 like the picture you posted yesterday?

Nothing from north of Howth to Bettystown today. a few lads in boats said they came across no mackerel either out of skerries.

patgmail wrote: »
    Nothing from north of Howth to Bettystown today. a few lads in boats said they came across no mackerel either out of skerries.

Theres quite a few mackerel in along the coastline from Howth right down to Wicklow now.

Theres also some at Skerries,you just got to be in the right spot at the right time.

The Lions Head (just accross from Bailey Lighthouse) is a good 20 minute trek down to it from the main road.

If you are afraid of heights,then this aint the place to go to.

Lots of people trek down there to go diving/swimming off the cliff face when the weather is nice and calm and sunny.

But its a grand spot for angling...when its quieter.

Some really good size pollack off it too,when jigging for mackerel.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

jeez folks, I've never had so many reported posts in one thread.
    General banter is allowed as long as its on topic. It would be very boring without it
    Personal abuse/flaming/trolling..etc are not. Im sure we all know the difference?

1 small jack mackerel and 1 very small wrasse in 2 hours out in Howth.
    Down at the far end of Balscadden Bay.
    Nice view though,and a nice suntan aswell....( a bit too tanned actually.:pac::o:D)

Might try Arklow Harbour and South Beach tomorrow evening.

Was that today or June 2009 like the picture you posted yesterday?

Just wondering when this was paddy, you did not reply or quote that part of my post. I don't want to contradict you but you seem to have reports from every location reported on today by others. I can only report on what I saw or was told today. June 2009 was a long time ago and today was blank according to at least 25 others plus myself who spend 5 hours or more fishing the stretch from Swords north to Bettystown. plenty of other species but no macks - which is what this thread is reporting.

Just wondering when this was paddy, you did not reply or quote that part of my post. I don't want to contradict you but you seem to have reports from every location reported on today by others. I can only report on what I saw or was told today. June 2009 was a long time ago and today was blank according to at least 25 others plus myself who spend 5 hours or more fishing the stretch from Swords north to Bettystown. plenty of other species but no macks - which is what this thread is reporting.

You have to be in the right spot at the right time of the tide..(as is the case alot of the time with fishing),and maybe you need to know what you are actually doing too.

Try harder next time so or else come down South of Howth and do your Mackerel Fishing along that part of the coastline.:)

Toodles.

you still haven't answered about the picture from June 2009 that you posted this week. Are all these catch locations for mackerel this year or just marks from other years.

Girls, girls!!!

Patgmail stop stirring. You are not the only one to cop the date configuration on that photo but we let it lie.

Paddy147 stop acting like a child. Oneupmanship has no place here.

I started this thread so we could share reports on the movement of mackerel shoals, as many of us rely on them for bait, others like eating them and some just enjoy their once a year fishing trips with the kids. However the thread is ruined and completely disjointed.
    Thanks guys.

I'll stick to catch reports on other angling forums from here on in.

• Advertisement

Girls, girls!!!

Patgmail stop stirring. You are not the only one to cop the date configuration on that photo but we let it lie.

Paddy147 stop acting like a child. Oneupmanship has no place here.

I started this thread so we could share reports on the movement of mackerel shoals, as many of us rely on them for bait, others like eating them and some just enjoy their once a year fishing trips with the kids. However the thread is ruined and completely disjointed.Thanks guys.

I'll stick to catch reports on other angling forums from here on in.

Yeah,its a bit like a witch hunt isnt it......:pac::pac:

Camera is girlfriends and date on it is wrong,as she didnt know how to set it up correctly without the booklet....(batteries in my camera died that evening)....thats life for you.

Now enough of this silly witch hunt,this carry on by yourself and a certain few others here.

Lets stop complaining about things,stop going off topic about a camera date and lighten up.

Go get out there and enjoy your mackerel fishing

Regards.

PS-Oh and Yes,I corrected a spelling error.....hense the edited post...(waits for someone to whinge and complain about that too...:rolleyes::().

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement