Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Soundman wrote: »
    Skerries Harbour used to be great for catching Mackerel years ago.

Its gone very quiet there in the last few years.

Generally the east coast has gone quiet,due to a combination over fishing and inshore trawling.:(

Bailey Lighthouse is good at the moment for doggie bashing and theres a good few large-ish smoothhound and bullhuss around there too,at the moment.Few large pollack too

Sandeel,muscle and live peeler crab is doing well there at the moment,.

Give it another 2 weeks and the West Pier in Dún Laoghaire should start seeing Mackerel shoals.

Go right to the end of the pier...(allmost a mile long of a walk)....and cast as far out as you can with a 6 feather trace and a 5-6oz weight.

Use a 2nd rod and drop down off the side to catch some nice ballan wrasse or pollack/coalies that might be swimming along the pier wall/base looking for crabs and shellfish.

Some of the east coast beaches (especially South Wicklow) are starting to produce some nice smoothhound,pollack and also some nice bass and flatties..(plaice,dabs and flounder)

Plenty of dogfish too.

You will get plenty of small flatties and the odd pollack/small bass in closer to the shoreline....especially of theres a decent surf breaking.

Last 2 hours of the rising tide and 1st 2 hours of the dropping tide seems to be the best at the moment.Long range casting for the smoothhound,bass and doggies is whats curently needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I was out off Skerries yesterday and not a bite. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

From RTE today http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0716/462676-mackerel-iceland/

Seems Mackerel are heading North due to warming seas.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Myself and another boardsie spent a few hours yesterday evening on our kayaks trying for some macks off clogherhead - not a bite!

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    I was out off Skerries yesterday and not a bite. :confused:

Try doing a few drifts in close past the Rockabill Lighthouse

A few good sized poloack being taken on a trailing jelly worm rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lubo the great

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    I'm heading down near hook head for the first 2 weeks in August, how's that fishing? I'm a newbie to sea fishing do hoping to get out while I'm there. Do you need to fill that boat from Dunmore east yourself or can you just book in. Would love to get my young lands out for a day.

You can jus call on speck an see do they have any spaces Boat i went out on also does evening trips from 5pm till 9pm which would be great value if you are bringing the kids out.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

paddy147 wrote: »
    You do know this is the motorbike forum,dont you???:pac:

You need this forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Oh and Balscaddan Bay in Howth has the odd small mackerel shoal in at the moment....(wont be fully in till end of the month/early August)

You need to be able to cast a long distance,as the shoals are currently a good bit out off the rocks/cliff face.

Thanks Paddy !

Lots of tope stranded on the beach at Rush today.

Around 30 of them had to be captured and returned to deeper water by some of the locals and some fishermen too.

http://www.herald.ie/news/shark-alert-locals-rush-to-help-30strong-stranded-shoal-29424559.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Around 30 of them had to be captured and returned ......../quote]

Yes there is another thread about that. What about Mackerel reports though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

From RTE today http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0716/462676-mackerel-iceland/

Seems Mackerel are heading North due to warming seas.

Thats bull****, an excuse to use so they can justify selling their quotas to the Russians. The decline in Mackerel stocks started as soon as they raised their quotas in 2009.

stylie wrote: »
    Thats bull****, an excuse to use so they can justify selling their quotas to the Russians. The decline in Mackerel stocks started as soon as they raised their quotas in 2009.

Yep exactly what I was thinking, it wasn't too warm for them a few years ago.

Around 30 of them had to be captured and returned ......../quote]

Yes there is another thread about that. What about Mackerel reports though!

have a read of my previous posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I did Paddy. If you read the OP you'll see this is a thread for reports on mackerel - not dogs, pollock etc and not about where can be or was good in the past. This thread is for active reports of mackerel catches. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

still none as of last night at clogherhead

I did Paddy. If you read the OP you'll see this is a thread for reports on mackerel - not dogs, pollock etc and not about where can be or was good in the past. This thread is for active reports of mackerel catches. :)

Eh,maybe you should carefully re-read again,and you will see where some mackerel is being caught....( I should know,as I caught the Mackerel).

My posts were also moved to this thread from another forum.

So on that note,you should have no further need to complain about or take issue with my posts.

Happy Mackerel Hunting.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tubbylad

Relax Paddy. The point Srameen is making is:
    Post 30 - Small shoals at Balscaddan
    Post 32 - No Mackerel mentioned
    Post 33 - How to catch them at Dun Laoghaire
    Post 37 - No Mackerel mentioned
    Post 40 - No Mackerel mentioned.
    I'm also curious as to where the you caught the Mackerel you know you caught.
    You don't actually say where any are being caught........ Anywhere.
    He also didn't complain,he just reminded us all that this thread is for active reports on mackerel catches......

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If the Faroese and Iceland keep at it the way they're going, the huge shoals may be a thing of the past. They've gone from 3-4% of the European quota to a forecasted 55%.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

2 dozen last night off a Cork rock mark. Between Cork harbour and Kinsale. They were there all night but not really on the bite, small tide. Small silver feather, guys fishing german sprats and fancy feathers 1-2 fish.

Tubbylad wrote: »
    Relax Paddy. The point Srameen is making is:
    Post 30 - Small shoals at Balscaddan
    Post 32 - No Mackerel mentioned
    Post 33 - How to catch them at Dun Laoghaire
    Post 37 - No Mackerel mentioned
    Post 40 - No Mackerel mentioned.
    I'm also curious as to where the you caught the Mackerel you know you caught.
    You don't actually say where any are being caught........ Anywhere.
    He also didn't complain,he just reminded us all that this thread is for active reports on mackerel catches......

Very 1st post on Boards......wellcome along there my good man.

BALSCADDAN.

+

MACKEREL

=

CATCH LOCATION

you dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.....

Oh and Balscaddan Bay in Howth has the odd small mackerel shoal in at the moment....(wont be fully in till end of the month/early August)

You need to be able to cast a long distance,as the shoals are currently a good bit out off the rocks/cliff face.

Enjoy your fishing

• Advertisement

If the Faroese and Iceland keep at it the way they're going, the huge shoals may be a thing of the past. They've gone from 3-4% of the European quota to a forecasted 55%.

Ah here now,we cant have posts like that here,as its not an active mackerel catch report on the east coast of Ireland.

You will only annoy some people here.:pac::pac::D

A few small mackerel being caught from West Pier in Dún Laoghaire this morning......(mate is currently on his way back from there now,just texted me to say he has some in his cool box).

So I might head out there this evening for an hour or 2 and give it a go....(Ill take 2 rods with me and also try in close for some coalies or pollack)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

(Ill take 2 rods with me and also try in close for some coalies or pollack)[/QUOTE]
    paddy stop talking pollacks youll have the girls giving out:rolleyes:

natdog wrote: »
    (Ill take 2 rods with me and also try in close for some coalies or pollack)

natdog wrote: »
    paddy stop talking pollacks youll have the girls giving out:rolleyes:

Ah Im sure someone will have something to complain about...:pac::pac::D

Just back from a stroll around Howth.

A couple of Polish lads there fishing on the cliffs at Balscaddan,had a quick chat with them...(been there since 11am this morning and caught 5 mackerel and 3 pollack between them).

Cooking some freshly caught mackerel on their portable BBQ.:)

Down in Bullock Harbour today, out of 4 boats I saw comming in, only one had caught anything and they got about a dozen mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Down in Bullock Harbour today, out of 4 boats I saw comming in, only one had caught anything and they got about a dozen mackerel.

Usually sign that by next week they'll be in properly
    Happened us last year. One trip saw us come in with a dozen or more and week later we had a hell of a lot more.
    Grand time to get few joey mackerel for pike bait

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jwkbyrne

Got three down the end of the west pier in Dun Laoghaire this evening, was there for three an a half hrs on the rising tide,only five caught in total, on the way in, say another wk and they'll be in properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tubbylad

Why didn't you just say you caught some at Balscaddan. In all my years fishing i have seen plenty of shoals with no catches. Don't be a smart kid either Paddy
    It don't suit ye. Take the tiny bit of critisism like a man and not a spoilt little brat
    Your comments are unbelievable and uncalled for. Thanks for the smarty pants wellcome also Paddy. I will now deactivate my account,for your pleasure, and go back to being a guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

ahh poor thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement