Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options
  • 30-06-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I see a thread on mackerel fishing on the west coast.
    So this one is for the east coast.
    Anybody heard of any mackerel being caught on the east coast yet.
    Maybe it's a bit early in the year

MB

Mod: Several threads from east coast merged. Happy Mackerel bashing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

There is one for the east coast too clogher haed seems to be the hot spot i remember the grandfather talkin about fishin it for mackerel god rest his soul but the reports so far is that nothin is showing just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

madchild wrote: »
    There is one for the east coast too clogher haed seems to be the hot spot i remember the grandfather talkin about fishin it for mackerel god rest his soul but the reports so far is that nothin is showing just yet.

Clogherhead hasn't been a hotspot for a few years. The new pier has changed the dynamics of the place considerably.

Cheers for the info so where else would you recommend? Greenore maybe?

Cheers for the info so where else would you recommend? Greenore maybe?

Certainly Greenore , if they ever arrive, but it can be thick with bashers all Summer.

bashers?

• Advertisement

bashers?

every Tom, Dick or Harry with a rod. Casting wildly across your line. Angling equivalent to learner Sunday drivers who only fish when Mackerel are easy to catch.

I had a look there on google maps there is alot of places there in greenore that seems suitable i take it you,re talkin about the piers that get jammed up?

I had a look there on google maps there is alot of places there in greenore that seems suitable i take it you,re talkin about the piers that get jammed up?

No piers at greenore. Shingle beach beside the lighthouse is the best spot - and the most crowded of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Plenty of polock in Dun Laoighre still no sign of mackerel in any great numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Plenty of polock in Dun Laoighre still no sign of mackerel in any great numbers!

What would be considered normal timing for mackeral on the east coast ? Should they be here by now or is it more into August ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mackyboy1

Went to Clogherhead this morning, nothing caught and didn't see anything caught, and was fishing an incoming tide.
    After a few hours, shot up the M1 to Greenore, and would you believe, nothing there as well, and didn't see anything caught either. When i was at greenore the tidy was on it's way back out.
    Plenty of seals about.
    Maybe it is to early.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This time last year I was pulling mackerel in off bullock harbour. Somethin is wrong. Weather is getting better again so they should be in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mackyboy1

This time last year I was pulling mackerel in off bullock harbour. Somethin is wrong. Weather is getting better again so they should be in now.
    Hi,
    The problem is, that the Mackerel are being overfished by the trawlers.
    Have a read of this article, link below, it not looking good, if they don't stop.
    Iceland and the Faroes are to blame.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/5614-anger-as-mackerel-quota-is-set-to-be-cut

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

load sof pollack around the back of irelands eye, no macks.. that was 2 weeks ago

Is anyone or does anyone have reports of mackerel been caught from boats.?
    As in renting a boat and going out for hour or two?

Anybody I spoke to said they were rare as hens teeth from boats as well on the East coast.

Sh!t
    I was planning on heading out to bullock harbour on Friday afternoon and renting boat for an hour or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

was out on a boat off Dunmore last week and between 7 of us we didnt catch one and we were out for a good 5 hours! caught a load of pollock and cod though

Check this out it would explaine alot of what is going on disaster to be honest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9818669/Why-mackerel-has-been-taken-off-the-ethical-fish-to-eat-list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lubo the great

was out on a boat off Dunmore last week and between 7 of us we didnt catch one and we were out for a good 5 hours! caught a load of pollock and cod though

Was out on a boat off Dunmore East last tuesday and we got about 40 between us Loads of decent size cod and pollack Good days fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

Im in dublin this week is there anywhere where there are lots of mackerel being caught. Dun Laoighaore wasnt great when I was fishing there last year :(

There are hardly any being caught anywhere around the country yet.

Mates were out on the boat in bullock harbour and got plenty around the island.
    Plenty of cod and pollock about too
    Still think it'll be August before they're in if they do decide to fully come

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

Ok thanks for the help :) is there anywhere were pollock of a decent enough size (by that I mean fish of around 30cm and above) can be caught from the shore as I've only got my spinning rod with me.

snoopytoop wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the help :) is there anywhere were pollock of a decent enough size (by that I mean fish of around 30cm and above) can be caught from the shore as I've only got my spinning rod with me.

What I've learned from pollock fishing from shore is look for swells of deep water and deep pools with plenty of thick seaweed.
    You will lose gear but could get one decent size pollock aswell that'll make your day. And could be worth losing some gear.
    It's the sea mate so god knows what you could catch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Was out on a boat off Dunmore East last tuesday and we got about 40 between us Loads of decent size cod and pollack Good days fishing.

I'm heading down near hook head for the first 2 weeks in August, how's that fishing? I'm a newbie to sea fishing do hoping to get out while I'm there. Do you need to fill that boat from Dunmore east yourself or can you just book in. Would love to get my young lands out for a day.

And there was me thinkin there was news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Anybody catching mackerel from the beaches on the east coast ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robinwing wrote: »
    Anybody catching mackerel from the beaches on the east coast ?

You do know this is the motorbike forum,dont you???:pac:

You need this forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Oh and Balscaddan Bay in Howth has the odd small mackerel shoal in at the moment....(wont be fully in till end of the month/early August)

You need to be able to cast a long distance,as the shoals are currently a good bit out off the rocks/cliff face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Skerries Harbour used to be great for catching Mackerel years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement