Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What's with the arguments lads. Yas are only CODdin yourselves arguing.
    This isn't the PLAICE for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tubbylad wrote: »
    Why didn't you just say you caught some at Balscaddan. In all my years fishing i have seen plenty of shoals with no catches. Don't be a smart kid either Paddy
    It don't suit ye. Take the tiny bit of critisism like a man and not a spoilt little brat
    Your comments are unbelievable and uncalled for. Thanks for the smarty pants wellcome also Paddy. I will now deactivate my account,for your pleasure, and go back to being a guest.

Stop complaining and get on with things for god sake man.

No one is asking or wishing you to go away.

Sure you were wellcomed along by myself,as you just joined up and posted your 1st post here to me.

If you want to take issue with that,then thats your own personal choice to do so.

You are wellcome here and Ive no wish to see you go away.

Enjoy your mackerel hunting.

natdog wrote: »
    ahh poor thing.

Sympathy vote perhaps??:pac:

Right so,Im off out fishing for an hour or 2.

Happy hunting everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

I,ll wait till the full moon tis nearly there and fish a rising tide at dusk had my best mackerel fishing with that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

madchild wrote: »
    I,ll wait till the full moon tis nearly there and fish a rising tide at dusk had my best mackerel fishing with that approach.

Is Mackeral fishing that bad around you that you have to wait for ideal conditions ?

• Advertisement

stylie wrote: »
    Is Mackeral fishing that bad around you that you have to wait for ideal conditions ?

It is as i,m at least 1 hour and 20 mins from the coast i could try the local river but i don,t think there,s any mackerel in them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

What's with the arguments lads. Yas are only CODdin yourselves arguing.
    This isn't the PLAICE for it.

Thanks for making the fish names in capitals I wouldn't have spotted em otherswise:rolleyes:

Was out today off galway full off sprat but no mackerel behind em.Very strange especially with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Looking for some advice.

I have never done any sea fishing before. I have some freshwater tackle that I have used a good few times for PIKE e.t.c..I plan to head off over the next few weeks just to do some pier/rock sea fishing. If I catch anything at all I will be happy but just a bit of fun.

Any advice on where to go within reasonable distance of Dublin and what gear do I need to get ? Lure or feathers ?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jwkbyrne

except wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

I have never done any sea fishing before. I have some freshwater tackle that I have used a good few times for PIKE e.t.c..I plan to head off over the next few weeks just to do some pier/rock sea fishing. If I catch anything at all I will be happy but just a bit of fun.

Any advice on where to go within reasonable distance of Dublin and what gear do I need to get ? Lure or feathers ?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Go to Dillons park in Dalkey an fish off the main rock at the bottom of the steps on a rising tide with feathers, you can use fresh mackerel to catch smoothhound which generally show up in the evening, so id bring two rods if u can, and grounding one and feather the other, I even got a tope there once but got no pics so nobody believes me, anyway a great spot, use a five ounce weight, gets abit crowded though, its up bout 100 Yrds from colimore harbour, id use a wire trace, decent size hook and a mackerel lance (flank) for the smoothies, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

15 or more in about an hour last night off Poolbeg pier just after the swimming club with silver feathers. Only 2 keepers, the rest went back, 1 random Pollock on there too. Could see the shoals at the top of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

4 nice ones off Skerries this morning and 3 small ones "there on their way" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

safetyboy wrote: »
    15 or more in about an hour last night off Poolbeg pier just after the swimming club with silver feathers. Only 2 keepers, the rest went back, 1 random Pollock on there too. Could see the shoals at the top of the water.

Just a note on throwing them back. Mackerel skin is very fragile. Hence all the scales on your hands when handling them. So if you're releasing them try not handle them or else use a very damp cloth to hold them

Not saying you didn't know this safetyboy, just a point for those that may not have known this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I didn't know that cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I still have scales on one of my rods for over a year!! Say what ya like but I think it's like a war wound!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Anybody having any luck around Arklow/NorthWexford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing from Greystones today.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Any luck around Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Work in the fish industry and its not just the shore fishing thats being affected. There is short supply right across the board...

Anybody having any luck around Arklow/NorthWexford?

12:30am this morning just north of Wicklow town.

Small shoal of mackerel and sea trout in close to the shore...(high tide was 11:20pm).
    Caught 2 small uns (jack mackerel),went back into the sea straight away.

2 seals swimming up and down close to the shoreline from around 10pm-10:30pm

We had a field day doggie bashing and also catching lots of small tub gurnard and plaice to around a 1/2 lb.:)

We left the beach at around 2am and got back home around 3am this morning.

Forgot to post this.....Poolbeg Pier...( South Bull Wall) the other night.

A few nice Mackerel on an incomming tide.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »

I only see 1 paddy :pac:

That one was so big he eat the other ones before he got a photo

Well if you get up off your backside and actually go down there to jig for them,then you might actually see a few of them in the flesh...

Or you could try your local river...:pac::pac::D

It is as i,m at least 1 hour and 20 mins from the coast i could try the local river but i don,t think there,s any mackerel in them:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

At least yours took the hook I had to foul mine :D

2012-08-10184335-1.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    At least yours took the hook I had to foul mine :D

2012-08-10184335-1.jpg

As long as you landed it,then thats all that counts.:)

As long as you landed it,then thats all that counts.:)

It,s called foul hooking for a reason if ya foul hook a salmon on a beat ya have to return it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

Paddy please do us all a favour and stick with the topic of this thread. it was designed to report on mackerel on the east coast by reporting when and where they have arrived. even reports of blanks proved useful. discussing other species and techniques or posting pictures is bad enough but the smart ass comments about others could be done without , thank you very much.

pat g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

wasn't fishing myself but called by poolbeg and the guys there said nothing was happening today.

Anyone heard of much around bullock harbour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anyone heard of much around bullock harbour?

As Greystones, Poolbeg and Clogherhead are all blank then I would shape t the Dalkey area is not much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement