Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

see there is a japanese place now next to it

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Got a mention in the Irish Times yesterday.
    Talk about bad timing. People who read the article and go to check it out will arrive only to find the place closed.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

koth wrote: »
    Talk about bad timing. People who read the article and go to check it out will arrive only to find the place closed.

True, but can't see too many people flocking there based on a half a line in the Irish Times.

" Limerick’s new Badass Burritos bar has won over many locals".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Read this yesterday. Found the article just a Dublin tourism racket really. Great deals in limerick at the moment. Getting a 10 inch pizza and chip and can for a fiver nowadays in limerick is easy enough. Marco polo's 10 euro meal during the week and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

koth wrote: »

Not closed permanently though haha

Is now a good time to point out that burritos are not mexican :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Just saw on Facebook, they're open tomorrow

Brilliant. I'm going for a veggie burrito tomorrow for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Not closed permanently though haha

Is now a good time to point out that burritos are not mexican :p

Actually they've changed down through the years in the USA, but they apparently originated from the State of Chihuahua in the north of Mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

There is a chain here in Canada called "Mucho Burrito" and they are right good burritos. You can get burritos, quesadillas, tacos, pretty much all the mexican staples.

It kind of has a subway style to it where you go from counter to counter to get stuff added in and they are savage. I got one for $6.60 and I was full after it. You can get 3 bottles of beer for $10 dollars too. That is in downtown Vancouver, one of the most expensive places in the world, so I hope that a burrito place in Limerick isn't trying to rob people and stop establishments like that from flourishing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I don't think you can really compare pricing between Vancouver and Limerick Kev :D

• Advertisement

I don't think you can really compare pricing between Vancouver and Limerick Kev :D

haha I know :p

I'm just saying that I hope this place is open when I'm home, tastes good and it isn't a rip off :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I live close by there and peeped in while passing on 4 occasions in the last week. Not a single customer any time I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

padma wrote: »
    Brilliant. I'm going for a veggie burrito tomorrow for lunch.

So Padma?
    Whats the verdict on their veggie offering?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I live close by there and peeped in while passing on 4 occasions in the last week. Not a single customer any time I passed.

ah no they were all downstairs in the cinema with the leather chairs :D

i'm not going back until the microwave is gone and i know they have the basics like guacamole

banie01 wrote: »
    So Padma?
    Whats the verdict on their veggie offering?

I cooked at home instead. I'm being super tight on the lead up to Christmas. I'll do my best to get in before the 25th

I passed by yesterday and the place was so badly lit it was like a cave. Really put off this place, they don't have a clue how to operate a business professionally and it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to eating there.

Which is a pity because I eat burritos 2-3 times a week.

I passed by yesterday and the place was so badly lit it was like a cave. Really put off this place, they don't have a clue how to operate a business professionally and it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to eating there.

Which is a pity because I eat burritos 2-3 times a week.

That's the damning thing. I love burritos and I live literally 30 seconds walk for there. Haven't been there for about 2 months...

That's the damning thing. I love burritos and I live literally 30 seconds walk for there. Haven't been there for about 2 months...

It is a great idea for a food outlet, and run well it will do great business.
    But this comment speaks volumes, folks who know what they want, who know good burritos and who enjoy them regularly(even if we do haveta make them ourselves in Limerick) just aren't going back here for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was there yesterday and it was grand, grand as I nothing bad, nothing special.

It's true about the place being really dark.

Also it's not super value, could be a little cheaper. €6.50 is more than enough for what you get. In Subway you can get a footlong and a drink for €6. Chocolat do a Panini & Wrap Special €8.50 (Soup,Any Panini or Wrap with Fries,Tea or Coffee). Two courses in Marco Polo and Bambu for just under €10.

The student special is €5 which would be enough to charge everyone I think.

Their sauces are fierce mild and bland, I end up getting the "Inferno" sauce and then having to douse it in the Tabasco sauce.

Overall, alright but nothing special.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No guacamole this evening, and the inferno salsa ain't doing it for me any more either.

I shouldn't have gone to Boojum the last time I was in Dublin! :( I like Badass Burittos, but Boojum would put them to shame.

• Advertisement

The inferno sauce is tasteless. As mild as ketchup. Last time I got it when I got home I had to put Franks Hot Sauce on the burrito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The inferno sauce is tasteless. As mild as ketchup. Last time I got it when I got home I had to put Franks Hot Sauce on the burrito.

I thought it was just me as I really like spicy stuff. My kitchen is always stocked with chillis, chilli flakes, cumin, garam masala.

I thought it was just me as I really like spicy stuff. My kitchen is always stocked with chillis, chilli flakes, cumin, garam masala.

Same here. And Franks is not even particularly hot compared to some hot sauces.

I'm surprised more people don't make their own burritos. It's easy.

Dice chicken or steak. Season with chilli powder, black pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, garlic salt and onion powder.

Fry in a little olive oil or sesame oil on hot pan. Can also do the chicken in oven at 200c for 20 min.

Boil rice and add lime juice and coriander leaf when cooked.

Prepare your choice of wrap. Add rice and grated cheese to center, top with meat, add guacamole/sour cream/hot sauce.

Roll together. You can add more cheese, sour cream and hot sauce to top of burrito. Bang it under grill or microwave for 30 seconds and you are done.

Tastes amazing.

Was in the place in ennis again and it puts this place to shame. There was obviously a new guy there and he was being shown the right way to construct the burrito so that you get a bit of everything in each bite. Its not just lumping everything into the middle like they do in badass. Was interesting to watch. Only disadvantage is they dont do pork just chicken or beef. They do quesadillas. Tacos. Fajitas and more though so worth a visit if in ennis. 6.50 for everything and a can if coke is good value. No charging for extras and no microwaves either

I was talking to my friends back in Limerick yesterday and the 3 of them said it was lovely in there and they had been in at the weekend. Starting to wonder if people are just looking for something to moan about on Boards. Wouldn't be a first!!! :rolleyes:

Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****er. Pigs sleep and root in ****. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I was talking to my friends back in Limerick yesterday and the 3 of them said it was lovely in there and they had been in at the weekend. Starting to wonder if people are just looking for something to moan about on Boards. Wouldn't be a first!!! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd eat there 3-4 times a week if it was done properly. If you are aware of the standards in other burrito bars, then this place just doesn't match up. The idea is great, the execution is poor and hasn't really improved as promised.
    Its obvious its being done on a shoestring budget and the food is not bad but if you open somewhere that specializes in burritos then at least do the basics right. The reasons people are complaining are well documented on the thread and most of them are not that hard to fix but like the microwave, there is no sign of change.. Aside from those issues, I wouldnt consider the actual place, lovely, by any measure. It feels, dark, slightly dingy and the furniture etc is nasty looking(upstairs at least). I'd happily overlook that if the speciality of the house i.e the burritos were actually done right. Not having the basic ingredients of your one and only menu item is just down right shoddy.

I genuinely wish them well, and if things change i'll happily support it but to suggest people are just having a moan...well I just don't agree. The fact that this thread has gone on so long suggests there is a market for this, if its done right.

Thats me done on this thread,.

Kev_2012 wrote: »

Yep, that's right. Nail on the head. I have nothing better to do than post false reviews on the eateries I frequent.

Thankfully, I don't care what you think. I vote with my feet. She has had months to make basic changes to the place. Nope, showing movies seems to be more important than getting rid of the microwave and get proper wraps.

Looking at the way it's run, it makes me very confident about my prospects if I ever opened a business.

Yep, that's right. Nail on the head. I have nothing better to do than post false reviews on the eateries I frequent.

Thankfully, I don't care what you think. I vote with my feet. She has had months to make basic changes to the place. Nope, showing movies seems to be more important than getting rid of the microwave and get proper wraps.

Looking at the way it's run, it makes me very confident about my prospects if I ever opened a business.

+1, I like to at least try and be honest when I review and I tend not to give Kneejerk reactions.
    I have eaten here many times and none of the promised ''improvements'' ever materialized.
    So, I have decided to vote with my feet and eat elsewhere, better value and better quality food to be had all over the city(Unfortunately nowhere else doing burrito's as yet) and to be honest I'd rather drive the 25mins to Ennis and spend cash there on well prepared Burrito and good value at that too than the 5 mins to city centre to go here.
    A perfect case in point would be the sauces, no change in intensity or quality despite acknowledging it as an issue in July.
    The owner agreed the sauces were an issue, undertook to actually do something about it, and did???
    S.F.A....
    It kinda makes customers feel unappreciated don't ya think?

As others on thread have pointed out including myself, this is a great idea for a fast food place.
    BUT if ever a Boojum or similar place opens in town, Badass will be obliterated on quality and presentation alone, and thats before you take price into consideration.

• Advertisement

It always puts me in mind of the ''Ballymaloe jalepeno relish'' just a glorified ketchup ;)
    I find Franks more vinegary than hot :/

Advertisement