Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is this place closed?Pasted it today just before 6 and in darkness

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

From the Facebook page:
    No I'm not closing down !!!!!!

Just closing while I go to San Franciso for my Nieces Wedding
    Hi All

So I'm off to San Francisco on Monday 11th to Thursday 21st and Badass Burritos will be closed while I'm away .......

I will reopen on the Thursday 21st November !!!!

Oh!Thats good to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

bigpink wrote: »
    Oh!Thats good to hear

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Very bad business move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Ridiculous. Is there no one they could take on part time to cover. Really unbelieveable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah a bit strange to have a new business closed for over a week.

Even if the cost of hiring cover would seriously impact profits it would nearly be worth it in order to build the business and word of mouth. Shutting down for a week and a half is a week and a half where people aren't telling their friends about the tasty burrito they had for lunch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I cannot believe how dumb of a move this is. She is the the formative months of a business that, if run correctly, could be a very nice addition to the city.

The fact that she is CLOSING the restaurant with little notice for the best part of 2 weeks is mindboggling. I passed it last night and I don't think I even saw a notice on the door explaining the situation. It just looks closed down.

From day one, they have had their priorities completely arseways. The place still looks like a mess, one I was happy to oversee so long as it was recitfied in the opening weeks.

Even if the cost of hiring cover would seriously impact profits it would nearly be worth it in order to build the business and word of mouth. Shutting down for a week and a half is a week and a half where people aren't telling their friends about the tasty burrito they had for lunch.

It's far worse than that, it's a week and a half of "oh that place where I had a burrito looks shut down"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

FutureGuy wrote: »

From day one, they have had their priorities completely arseways. The place still looks like a mess, one I was happy to oversee so long as it was recitfied in the opening weeks.

have to agree. I have slightly given up on the place anyway. I gave themnthe benefit of the doubt when they opened but its not changing. Still using a microwave to heat the tortilla. Still dodgy looking decor, with cheap garden furniture to sit on in the main upstairs area, while there are leather chairs and a flat screen tv as a cinema downstairs. the charging for more than 2 toppings is a farce as well and the last 2 times i was there they were out of guacamole. Guacamole is one of the main things you use in a burrito...get it together.
    I just don't see them improving at all and this closed for nearly two weeks thing is a complete farce altogether. Unless they change tack, i give them a few months...tops

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Quick someone contact the Limerick Leader to break the story for the weekend edition!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Wow...some people are taking this very personally! Its the owners business and she can pretty much do what she likes - whether its smart or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Very bad business move.
    john_cappa wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Is there no one they could take on part time to cover. Really unbelieveable.
    I cannot believe how dumb of a move this is. She is the the formative months of a business that, if run correctly, could be a very nice addition to the city.
    It's far worse than that, it's a week and a half of "oh that place where I had a burrito looks shut down"
    vkid wrote: »
    have to agree. I have slightly given up on the place anyway. I gave themnthe benefit of the doubt when they opened but its not changing. Still using a microwave to heat the tortilla. Still dodgy looking decor, with cheap garden furniture to sit on in the main upstairs area, while there are leather chairs and a flat screen tv as a cinema downstairs. the charging for more than 2 toppings is a farce as well and the last 2 times i was there they were out of guacamole. Guacamole is one of the main things you use in a burrito...get it together.
    I just don't see them improving at all and this closed for nearly two weeks thing is a complete farce altogether. Unless they change tack, i give them a few months...tops

+1 on all the above!
    Their pricing is ridiculous, what passes for a burrito in there after a promising start, now bears little resemblance to what many of us who have eaten them elsewhere(alas not in limerick) know a good burrito to be.(Well at least without adding those chargeable extra's)
    The portion vs price vs chargeable extra's is pricing them out against their local takeaway competition and if boojum or the crowd in Ennis open in the City their pricing and product quality will crucify them on comparison.
    The meat one day can be fantastic, next it can be poor... Where's the consistency?
    The fact that they consistently run out of burrito staples such as Guacamole points to poor planning and inventory management, because having eaten there a few times in the hope that ''I was wrong'' and ''surely the last time was a one off''
    It has not improved, only gotten worse IMO and with regards to my previous thoughts on poor planning and management, closing for 2 weeks while still trying to establish a business and build a reputation...
    Well it just reinforces those thoughts for me.

When they opened I was happy to cut some slack in what I expected while they got up and running and learnt the ropes, in the hope that time and experience would bring about a better product and a nice addition to the city foodscape other than kebabs and burgers.
    But if I'm honest in my experience of maybe 7/8 visits since it has opened it has only gotten worse.

Heres hoping when they return, they will address the issues(rather than just pay lipservice) because I do think done properly it will be a great spot.
    But as can be seen from the quoted comments above, I'm not the only one getting tired of hoping it improves and seeing nothing.
    Probably be all our fault if it goes actually for talking down another local business in typical Limerick begrudgery! ;)
    Rather than any business taking on board constructive criticism

Parchment wrote: »
    Wow...some people are taking this very personally! Its the owners business and she can pretty much do what she likes - whether its smart or not.

Its not personal at all. Any business doing the same things will p!ss people off in no time. She can do as she pleases, but then so can the customers...and they will vote with their feet. If as mentioned, some decent attempt at a burrito bar opens, she will be wiped out.

vkid wrote: »

This. Madness. As I said, her priorities are arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Will someone think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I find the decision to close for two weeks very, very strange and I think it will backfire badly.

I'm don't know if it is their first time running a business and I'm not sure that they know what they're doing. I've been in there a few times and they are often out of essential ingredients. Their pricing is also quite high.

If another Burrito Bar were to open and was run properly I'm sure it would lead to the closure of this one. The demand seems to be there...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I guess she just has to learn from her mistakes. Maybe someone could tell her about this thread?

I guess she just has to learn from her mistakes. Maybe someone could tell her about this thread?

Might be no harm if she saw it tbh,...but its possible she has already.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

They have acknowledged this thread before, see post number 34.

Doesn't seem to have made any difference :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Lads, we don't know the full story at all, she said she lived in SF for a good few years and is now over there for a week or two, who knows it could be an emergency. Also could be a case that she didn't have anyone at hand competent to keep the store open. Either way when the place opens again I will be popping down for my veggie burrito.

• Advertisement

L.T.P. wrote: »
    They have acknowledged this thread before, see post number 34.

Doesn't seem to have made any difference :confused:

Yep, they know about it and acknowledged it on their FB too.
    Hi All Just wanted to address some of the reviews on Boards.ie ... Yes the Salsa's need to be hotter and they will be !!! the microwave your right I 've ordered a grill to heat up the tortillas and yes ,yes ,yes the beans need more depth .... and I'm delighted with the feedback ...... No were not a chain and I'm a local Born and Bread Limerick Girl...... Please give us a chance were only open a week today !!!!
    Notice that back in July they were ordering the grill?
    That hasn't appeared as yet, but the basement has a ''cinema'' with leather couches.
    Every point that was raised re: the food even back then was acknowledged and in my experience, it has been ignored and indeed with portion sizes and per topping charging has worsened.

Look its this person's business/livelihood and I wish them every success with it but I fail to see how adding a cinema and having a penchant for 70's cinema and 3hr movie showings(As per their FB) is doing anything for a fast food and eat'n'go joint other than adding cost.
    How long does someone spend eating their Burrito? 15mins? 30mins?
    Is showing movies in a leather clad cave a selling point when upstairs people are either spending 20mins on a dine and dash on the garden furniture?
    What sense does that make and how does it grow profit?

Fix the issues that folk have raised with the food/pricing/portion sizing rather than tacking on gold plating.
    padma wrote: »
    Lads, we don't know the full story at all, she said she lived in SF for a good few years and is now over there for a week or two, who knows it could be an emergency. Also could be a case that she didn't have anyone at hand competent to keep the store open. Either way when the place opens again I will be popping down for my veggie burrito.
    According to their FB its closed to allow attendance at a wedding in S.F.
    I can appreciate that it would be very hard to leave the business with someone else while they are away and everyone needs a holiday.
    But it is a kinda shoot yourself in the foot plan to shutter up and hope to resume without impact on the customerbase they have built up.

banie01 wrote: »
    Notice that back in July they were ordering the grill?

LOL! Hadn't seen that. She obviously had not ordered the grill in July...or else its coming by carrier pigeon who died en-route.

I officially give up on the place after seeing that.

The cinema thing makes no sense to most people either.

banie01 wrote: »

According to their FB its closed to allow attendance at a wedding in S.F.
    I can appreciate that it would be very hard to leave the business with someone else while they are away and everyone needs a holiday.
    But it is a kinda shoot yourself in the foot plan to shutter up and hope to resume without impact on the customerbase they have built up.

I understand Banie, but I don't think their intention is a two fingers to their customers, It is a bad business decision but its not the end for them and it is up to us here if we want a burrito to continue to give our business or not.

padma wrote: »
    I understand Banie, but I don't think their intention is a two fingers to their customers, It is a bad business decision but its not the end for them and it is up to us here if we want a burrito to continue to give our business or not.

Don't get me wrong Padma, thats not at at all what I think they intend either.
    In fairness weddings are one of those things where attendance is compulsory ;)
    In my family at least.
    My issue isn't with them taking a break, not at all ideally they would have had someone in to cover them but in a new business it can be hard to afford staff and control costs....
    So you try and keep inventory tight(which can lead to the all too often message of ''sorry we've run out of that''
    But when your business is selling burritos and you skip the grill and install a ''cinema'' rather than even ramping up the food inventory levels?
    The decision making is questionable at the very least? No?

You are correct, although the cinema equipment could be from their own house we just don't know but when you put it like that it is of course a silly arrangement. To tell the truth I haven't ate there yet. :pac: I don't buy food outside the home anymore, tight budget etc... so cant fully comment, but I do like their business for some reason , mainly it has been a big talking point on here and elsewhere.

For when you consider the amount of pakistani pizza and kebab shops that have opened in Limerick over the past two years I feel it is nice that a Local woman with connections to the city wants to open a cool little burrito bar here, it has a nice feeling about it. Maybe she's more about having a living rather than trying to increase profits in a business sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

This has more pages than the economic plan...............just saying...

Im sorry I asked!Look we know now the reason so maybe a mod can delete some of the posts here on the business
    As a poster said above with all the |"Turkish" and foreign takeaways its nice to see a small local business giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Why should they be deleted? Is only positive feedback allowed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

bigpink wrote: »
    Im sorry I asked!Look we know now the reason so maybe a mod can delete some of the posts here on the business
    As a poster said above with all the |"Turkish" and foreign takeaways its nice to see a small local business giving it a go

Censorship? Nah. She is making a silly mistake and will ave to put up with the backlash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Got a mention in the Irish Times yesterday.

Advertisement