Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Gandolfini dead

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I know little of Gandolfini outside of his cinematic and televisual performances but have seen his interview with Actors Studio. The interview highlights a very humble and shy individual who seems very nervous to be in front of such a large crowd. The interview is slightly revealing but doesn't leave him naked by any means but it left me enamoured.

In Tony Soprano he created, along with David Chase, a character which has become engrained in public consciousness and is possibly the greatest acting display television has had the privilege to convey. The character captivated both male and female viewers which in itself is unique for television. It also captured humans as a whole. He created a modern day anti hero who despite all his grievous actions people wanted to see survive. He is a much greater creation than Walter White who is a much simpler (albeit perhaps purposefully and yet to be explained) character. Gandolfini's portrayal of Tony was solid in every episode and various accounts of his late night efforts are testament to this. There is a little bit of Tony Soprano in everyone and Gandolfini demonstrated this in his flawless exposition of the character and he is now somewhat immortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

murpho999 wrote: »

RIP James Gandolfini.

Television perfection, not too often it happens, but it's special when it does.

Often with The Sopranos it was the filler episodes, not that much happened, but the characters developed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

RTE 1 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This is one of my favourite scenes of the Sopranos, the episode where Livia dies is brilliant, how everyone is struggling to say something nice about her at the wake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

That episode, Proshai, Livushka, is one of the most brilliant in the whole series. I love it. Hysterical comedic moments, blended with tragedy and human drama.

That final scene with Tony watching the conclusion of The Public Enemy and where tears spring to his eyes. It is powerful; is he finally weeping in grief over the death of his mother (the woman who tried and conspired to have him killed and who was such a huge cause of all his mental problems) or is he weeping because the on-screen figure of Tommy Powers' mother is the sweet, caring, nurturing, wonderful mother that he so longed for but never had?

It is wonderful little moments like this that dot nearly every episode, moments that make you think and reflect, that make The Sopranos so much more than just a television show. It was one of those incredibly rare events in popular culture that has touched, influenced and shaped so much around it.

The sad part is, we are never likely to see the same (or even similar) again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This was always one of my favorite endings to an episode

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Was just watching a bit of the movies Spanglish there a while ago, which has James in it. From the little bit that I watched of it, he was pretty good. You'd forget he was Tony Sopranos from watching it, he performs his role so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This was always one of my favorite endings to an episode
    Aye, that was the moment I realised Tony really was rotten to the core. He was a ****, regardless of how endearing he could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tony: "You sayin there is something wrong with me?"

Dr Melfi: "When was the last time you had a prostrate exam?"

Tony: "Hey, I don't even let anybody wag their finger in my face"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can't seem to find the clip but the scene where his daughter finally asks him straight out is he in the Mafia is very well done. She obviously deep down already knows from growing up in that household. The way he tries to initially deflect the question before finally realising it's futile and telling her the truth is gripping.

It reminds me of the '60 minutes' interview with real life former Gambino Family boss John Gotti Jnr. He said his father the infamous John Sr always tried to shield his children from what he did.

I can't seem to find the clip but the scene where his daughter finally asks him straight out is he in the Mafia is very well done. She obviously deep down already knows from growing up in that household. The way he tries to initially deflect the question before finally realising it's futile and telling her the truth is gripping.

It reminds me of the '60 minutes' interview with real life former Gambino Family boss John Gotti Jnr. He said his father the infamous John Sr always tried to shield his children from what he did.

;)

Advertisement