Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Gandolfini dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RIP great actor, one if the greatest characters ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

on sky news they said the actor Robin Williams simply said his thoughts were with james s family at this time.
    were they friends or have they worked together?
    just seemed odd to get quote from him.

r.i.p mr gandolfini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Brilliant actor and I am genuinely shocked and saddened at this. RIP James, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

What a blow, like lots have said 51 is nuts to hit the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I had only recently gotten into the Sopranos after not watching it when it aired on TV. It was a cracking series and the characters felt so real. Salute big guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Shocked and saddened to hear of this when I woke up this morning (pardon the pun). I'm a huge Soprano's fan and as any fan of the show will tell you, its impossible to think of life without "T", an indestructible character. In my opinion, nobody else in the world could play the role of Tony other than Gandolfini.

51 is too young for anybody to go and it is very sad to know that he left such a young family behind.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Rip, great actor in his performance in the sopranos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Terrible news to wake up to, Tony has to be one of the most iconic and instantly recognisable characters in tv history, struggling to think of anyone I'd put above him. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As soon as I heard it, I reckoned heart attack alright. 51 is way too young.

Never saw him in anything, but he seems to have earned a lot of respect for his work from both colleagues and fans alike. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Horrible news to wake up to, his wife only had a baby last year. Can't imagine what they are going through. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DazMarz wrote: »
    I rarely get upset over a celebrity death, but this one hits me a bit more than others; The Sopranos is my all-time favourite TV show and I tracked down everything that James Gandolfini appeared in to watch. He was an incredible actor and screen presence.

The good ones really are taken all too early.

RIP.

Spot on.

I think Rob Lowe put it best: we've just lost a guy who gave arguably the best performance in the history of TV. There's no argument for me, he did.

RIP James.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Lams

guttenberg wrote: »
    Horrible news to wake up to, his wife only had a baby last year. Can't imagine what they are going through. RIP.

It will be surreal for that baby watching it's Dad it never knew as Tony Soprano when it grows up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Sleeping with the fishes now. Rest in Peace big man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Badda Bing T.
    great actor, people forget his performances in The Last Castle, The Mexican, and Get Shorty!
    RIP James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Had always hoped for a new season of the sopranos or even a film which will be a pipe dream now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

What an actor, gone too young. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just recently finished watching The Sopranos for the first time. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Great performance in 8mm

Clip is a bit spoilerish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Goddamn it, Iain Banks and him within weeks of each other. The Sopranos at it's best was absolutely mesmerising and James Gandolfini was the centre of that.
    Dr. Jennifer Melfi: When's the last time you had a prostate exam?
    Tony Soprano: Hey, I don't even let anyone wag their finger in my FACE.
    Tony Soprano: Let me tell ya something. Nowadays, everybody's gotta go to shrinks, and counselors, and go on "Sally Jessy Raphael" and talk about their problems. What happened to Gary Cooper? The strong, silent type. That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do. See, what they didn't know was once they got Gary Cooper in touch with his feelings that they wouldn't be able to shut him up! And then it's dysfunction this, and dysfunction that, and dysfunction vaffancul!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Just awful, I don't think I've ever cared this much when I heard about someone I didn't know dying. I absolutely loved that show, and thought he was brilliant in Killing Them Softly. Condolences to Carmella, Meadow, and AJ. RIP big man.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Had always hoped for a new season of the sopranos or even a film which will be a pipe dream now unfortunately.

sure they could always get another actor to play Tony Soprano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Lams wrote: »

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,281 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First time in a hell of a long time I've cared of a celebrity death. Haven't finished watching the whole thing yet, but its such a great show, and he played the character so damn well.

RIP James!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,281 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

tmc86 wrote: »
    Blasphemy!

I don't think he/she is being serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He was deadly in True Romance too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thought he was brilliant in The Last Castle, though all the critics hated it. Never seen a Sopranos episode in my life, must be the only one.:o

+1 .. excellent movie. Surprised to hear the critical feedback on it.

RIP James

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Rip James

In the loop with Peter Capaldi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Of course but he loomed so large over the role and the show it would be weird to see anybody else in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not a hope. If there was ever a role that couldn't and more importantly, should not, be recast it's Tony Soprano.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Of course but he loomed so large over the role and the show it would be weird to see anybody else in the role.

Emmm.....I was joking. It would be pure comedy seeing someone else trying to fill the role.

Advertisement