Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Gandolfini dead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

pine barrens= best episode of the best series ever made imo

"guy killed sixteen Czechoslovakians; used to be an interior decorator"

"What about the Cuban Missile Crisis?! Cocksuckers moved nuclear warheads into Cuba; pointed 'em right at us!"

"That was real?! I saw that movie. I thought it was bullshít."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

It's not often I'm saddened by a celebrity death but I am by this one. RIP.
    By all accounts he was a genuinely nice guy, very gracious and down to earth, funny too. 51, far too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

"His house looked like shít!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This is one of my favourite scenes in any medium (won't embed in case of spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdq_EfSfhrg

Gandolfini did an absolutely amazing job, amongst all of Tony's bravado in Season 6 about being ashamed of his son (even going as far as saying he hated him), you can see the immense love he has for his son when he
    pulls AJ out of the pool (anger quickly being replaced by his fatherly love).

I only watched the whole boxset again a few months ago but I'm might tempted to pull it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

One of my favourite lines is when the crew are all sitting around in Badabing.

I think it's Sal who asks one of the other guys:

"Do you remember your first blow job?"

"Yeah, of course"

"did it take the guy long to cum?"

Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's hard to imagine anyone else other than James Gandolfini playing Tony Soprano. Despite the heinous things he did, he could win my sympathy the following week, only to leave me feeling guilty for liking the guy. A legend and now I'm going to have to dust off the boxset again. RIP.

Loving the Pine Barrens references, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"His house looked like shít!"

RIP James Gandolfini.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So many great scenes.

"We're with the vipers" haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The interactions between James Gandolfini and Edie Falco on The Sopranos were often my favourite parts of the entire show. Their confrontations are some of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen on television. So intense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Not coming back this time,genuinely saddened at this big guy's passing.:(

RIP T/James Gandolfini. Saw you live once on Broadway, sensational and larger than life. Everything I expected and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The interactions between James Gandolfini and Edie Falco on The Sopranos were often my favourite parts of the entire show. Their confrontations are some of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen on television. So intense.

Absolutely up there amongst the best scenes of the whole show... Two absolutely towering performances. Both playing their characters to the absolute limit. Both making cases and being torn apart by the other. Tony comes off a lot worse. Carmela's final barb is stinging and he has no answer.

Brilliant.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine anyone else other than James Gandolfini playing Tony Soprano.

Ray Liotta was first choice, but turned it down. Glad that didn't happen! Nothing against Liotta, but it was better to have a relative unknown in the part. I know Gandolfini had been in a few films, but Liotta had been in one of the definitive Mafia films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

One of my favourite lines is when the crew are all sitting around in Badabing.

I think it's Sal who asks one of the other guys:

"Do you remember your first blow job?"

"Yeah, of course"

"did it take the guy long to cum?"

Classic.

Paulie. He then repeats the entire joke when someone else walks in.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Absolutely up there amongst the best scenes of the whole show... Two absolutely towering performances. Both playing their characters to the absolute limit. Both making cases and being torn apart by the other. Tony comes off a lot worse. Carmela's final barb is stinging and he has no answer.

Brilliant.

Carmela was the only character on the show who could say such things to Tony and live to tell the tale. Tony was a hypocrite, but so was Carmela. She hated his lifestyle, but was happy to take the money and the jewelry and all the other fine things that that lifestyle provided. Two very complex characters, played absolutely brilliantly and it all felt very authentic. The acting in The Sopranos easily surpasses anything I've seen in any other television show, including The Wire and Breaking Bad. James Gandolfini's portrayal of Tony in particular is as good as anything I've seen in films.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Paulie. He then repeats the entire joke when someone else walks in.

Pretty sure it was Tony who walked in. He didn't pay much heed to it as he had bigger things on his mind and probably had heard the same gag "forgive the pun" a million times before.

The interactions between James Gandolfini and Edie Falco on The Sopranos were often my favourite parts of the entire show.

My favourite were between him and Janice or him and his mother. Aida Turturro and Nancy Marchand - both amazing actresses, his on-screen equals.

Carmela was the only character on the show who could say such things to Tony and live to tell the tale. Tony was a hypocrite, but so was Carmela.

True but I hate when people make out she was worse than him. Anything you can throw at Carmella also applies to him, and he had a whole host of flaws on top of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

One of the best scenes involving all, Christopher's Intervention. Tony's reaction to hearing that Christopher killed the dog is priceless!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

RIP

True but I hate when people make out she was worse than him. Anything you can throw at Carmella also applies to him, and he had a whole host of flaws on top of that!

I don't think she was worse than him, but in that particular scene that I linked, she calls him a hypocrite, even though the same could really be applied to her.

Scenes with Janice were very good too. I particularly like the one when (not quite sure of the season) Tony is having dinner at her house and Janice is going through an anger management period and he persistently goes after her until she finally cracks and explodes with anger. Very tense scene. It really showed up Tony's inability to be happy for other people getting their problems under control, because he never could. He pulled similar sh*t with Christopher and his drug and alcohol problems. For me, Christopher was always my favourite character on the show and the relationship between him and Tony was always interesting. Almost a father/son relationship, but very manipulative on Tony's part. The scene where Christopher
    tells Tony that Adriana is an FBI informant
    was one of the most compelling moments in the show. Tony comes through like a father figure, while Christopher is completely helpless.

The quality of the acting on the show was so good that it's hard to single out one person. I mean, there was all those scenes in season 5 too between Tony and Adriana that were bubbling over with sexual tension.

The thing I loved about the show, was I disliked every character. They were scum of the earth. They speak of family and honour when all it boiled down to was greed, money and distrust. It really showed the breakdown of the traditional Mafia and the great lengths the law authorities went about to achieve it.

Compelling viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Rightly or wrongly most celebrity deaths wash over me but this one has hit me more as the day moves on.

When you invest so much in to a series as great as 'The Sopranos', there is a great sense of loss when the central character is no longer with us. We are so awash with celebrity nonsense and paperweight celebrities these days that sometimes we are guilty of grouping them all in the one bracket.

James Gandolfini is however without equal in the history of television. 'The Sopranos' remains without equal in the history of television. It has set the standard by which all television series should be measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

For anybody who might not have read this, there was a good critique of the show in today's Telegraph by Clive James.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10132678/Clive-James-on-The-Sopranos.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Time and again, after multiple series views this scene always gets me. Despite all the degeneracy, greed, intemperance and violence along the way, the softer moments sets the balance back in the show.. "I mean, don't you love me?".

(not sure if this has been posted already)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Sky Atlantic are doing a mini marathon of The Soprano's tomorrow night from 21:00 til 00:55, that's my Friday night television viewing sorted, albeit with a heavy heart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The thing I loved about the show, was I disliked every character. They were scum of the earth. They speak of family and honour when all it boiled down to was greed, money and distrust. It really showed the breakdown of the traditional Mafia and the great lengths the law authorities went about to achieve it.

Compelling viewing.
    If you think about that every movie/show has same characteristics-greed being scum,survival of the fittest ,only this show had more personalized characters each with their own strengths and weaknesses,ex Polie was a loner and despite his age he was portrayed as old school tough guy who maintained his body,while Chris was a drug addict and so on.that's what made it so popular that besides their criminal life each character had its own troubles and good moments.
    And for me one of the better moments was where his psychiatrist got raped,and after she seen guy in local store,and in next session with tony she almost broke down crying and all,as she knew that he would tear guy apart,to many great moments to put them all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Carmela was the only character on the show who could say such things to Tony and live to tell the tale. Tony was a hypocrite, but so was Carmela. She hated his lifestyle, but was happy to take the money and the jewelry and all the other fine things that that lifestyle provided. Two very complex characters, played absolutely brilliantly and it all felt very authentic. The acting in The Sopranos easily surpasses anything I've seen in any other television show, including The Wire and Breaking Bad. James Gandolfini's portrayal of Tony in particular is as good as anything I've seen in films.

They weren't really complex though, they were both contradictory. Neither of them wanted to deal with the consequences of their lifestyle while still reaping the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

One of the best scenes involving all, Christopher's Intervention. Tony's reaction to hearing that Christopher killed the dog is priceless!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

RIP

Interesting that during this scene Christopher starts giving out to Tony about his condition and says that he'll probably have a heart attack before he's 50.

He was right and only off the mark by 1 year !!!

RIP

Bambi wrote: »
    They weren't really complex though, they were both contradictory. Neither of them wanted to deal with the consequences of their lifestyle while still reaping the benefits.

I would have thought that contradiction was a hallmark of complex characterization. Most people are walking contradictions and hypocritical in more ways than they'd like to admit. It's part of the complexity of human nature. The Sopranos captured that very well.

As far as disliking the characters, I found myself hating them more than I loved them, but there were moments where I really felt very endeared by them, and even sympathetic towards them. Tony's love of animals, Christopher's repressed desire to get out of the Mafia world and his emotional manipulation at the hands of Tony, Junior slowly losing his mind, Carmela's devastation over Tony's cheating, Tony B trying to stay out of the business and slowly getting sucked back in. It's very good writing to be able to create characters that are repulsive in so many ways, but also pretty relateable in a lot of ways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

Genuinely shocked by this. Surprised to hear he was only 51 as well. Would have thought he was a good few years older than that. Terrific in the Sopranos but also did enough good work elsewhere to be remembered as a one part wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Without a doubt one of the finest scenes in TV history, when it comes to pure acting ability and chemistry on-screen. Superb.

Advertisement