Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

hey lads how do you work out your stats?
    just write them down as your playing or something! I'm a high HC (20) and have improved at all last 2 years after lessons and plenty of prastise so maybe im working on the wrong things..

cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

benny79 wrote: »
    hey lads how do you work out your stats?
    just write them down as your playing or something! I'm a high HC (20) and have improved at all last 2 years after lessons and plenty of prastise so maybe im working on the wrong things..

cheers in advance

Golfshot app or something similar, plenty of threads on here if you go searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

ssbob wrote: »
    Golfshot app or something similar, plenty of threads on here if you go searching!

Golfshot lite app....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

After a disastrous round (>150) a few weeks ago, I've worked hard on the range and on the course. I realized that my grip and backswing was wrong and I'm working on fixing it

I've shots 108 today on a casual round which is my personal best.

Plenty of works to do but it's good to see the work is paying.

best stats of the day is ended up in 3 greenside bunker and got out and on the green the 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Going well.

Played 12 today - would have liked 18 - but Christmas , kids etc.

Was 2 over for the 12 holes - everything in decent order. Only 4 bad shots all day. 2 OTT slice on a drive. One bad chip.
    Then from 90 yards struggled to control that distance - I seem to be ok at 75 and 100 to 110. Week in that gap.

Odd iron a little thin.

So 3 boggies
    1 birdie
    8 Pars.

Happy enough to be in good form at this time of year. Out in morning again. Hopefully for 18.

By the way lads , if you can get out in that at all - do. Amazing - short sleeves for 8 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Not hit a ball in over 2wks. So to my delight got out early was +4 thru 10 25pts then had 3 bloody 3putts for 3 dbs finished with 42pts 83strokes off 17 :) putter again letting me down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

My short game is so bad at the moment it's not true and Winter Golf really exposes that on my home course because it's so short off the forward tees.

Long game is fine. Give me a mid to long iron or a Hybrid and I stand a better chance of hitting the green than I do from inside 110yds and that's no exaggeration. Never really miss from the tee. -5 for the two Par 5's in my last 2 rounds. Level Par for the longer Par 4's but it's the holes where I'm approaching the green from 110yds and in where I walk off with 1 pointers or scratches.

PW goes 125 with a regular swing, I can force it 130 but rarely need to. My 50 degree GW only goes 90 and any kind of wind could make that 70. It's too big a gap, I'm either coming up short into trouble or air-mailing the green.

I've made time to practice a bit and can hit all kinds of shots around the green in practice, pitches that release, pitches that check up slightly, high pitches, chip and runs. Get me to the golf course and my anxiety at how poor I am compounds the issue and I'm like a very poor 20 handicapper around the greens.

Very frustrated golfer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    My short game is so bad at the moment it's not true and Winter Golf really exposes that on my home course because it's so short off the forward tees.

Long game is fine. Give me a mid to long iron or a Hybrid and I stand a better chance of hitting the green than I do from inside 110yds and that's no exaggeration. Never really miss from the tee. -5 for the two Par 5's in my last 2 rounds. Level Par for the longer Par 4's but it's the holes where I'm approaching the green from 110yds and in where I walk off with 1 pointers or scratches.

PW goes 125 with a regular swing, I can force it 130 but rarely need to. My 50 degree GW only goes 90 and any kind of wind could make that 70. It's too big a gap, I'm either coming up short into trouble or air-mailing the green.

I've made time to practice a bit and can hit all kinds of shots around the green in practice, pitches that release, pitches that check up slightly, high pitches, chip and runs. Get me to the golf course and my anxiety at how poor I am compounds the issue and I'm like a very poor 20 handicapper around the greens.

Very frustrated golfer at the moment.

Would you consider clubbing down on the shorter holes from the tee instead to leave you a distance in that you're happy hitting?

Would you consider clubbing down on the shorter holes from the tee instead to leave you a distance in that you're happy hitting?

That's band-aiding the problem and won't help me cure my rubbish short game... plus I'm already dropping to 3 woods and hybrids on a lot of holes already... BUT I might give that a go next time. Hybrid might be the answer on some holes as opposed to 3 Wood. At least I'll have a full wedge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I had a similar problem between my 48 and 54, I have got the gap to where it should be now, but at the time I was losing an awful lot of yardage from the 54 as I had a fear of hitting the 54 with a full swing...less forgiving club etc. I just wasn't committing.
    Happy with it now though.

You're a lot lower HC than me, I'm sure that isn't the issue, have you got a Pro to have a look at possible reasons? Vastly different clubs/shafts between the PW and 50?

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    I had a similar problem between my 48 and 54, I have got the gap to where it should be now, but at the time I was losing an awful lot of yardage from the 54 as I had a fear of hitting the 54 with a full swing...less forgiving club etc. I just wasn't committing.
    Happy with it now though.

You're a lot lower HC than me, I'm sure that isn't the issue, have you got a Pro to have a look at possible reasons? Vastly different clubs/shafts between the PW and 50?

It's a new set of wedges I got. Moved to Taylormade ATV which are better than my Clevelands for shots around the green but the 50 degree I just hit way way higher than the 50 degree Cleveland I have. In fact the harder I hit it, the higher it goes. It's that plus the irons I have have got stronger lofts. (X Hot Pro) so my PW is probably a closer to a conventional 9iron. So the gap has widened both ends.

Not something they warn you about when you're buying the stronger lofted clubs of course :) I think I just need to learn how to take something off the PW. 90-100yds carry has to be a PW now because the current GW might carry 90 at a push but it will spin back 5... My issue is that when I try to swing easy at the PW I hit it very well. Maybe down the grip with each 10yd bucket might be the way forward...

TBH I think I need to learn how to not hit the PW flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nice casual round today. One bird, 4 pars, one double on a par three Ggggrrrrr. The rest tap in bogeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

It's a new set of wedges I got. Moved to Taylormade ATV which are better than my Clevelands for shots around the green but the 50 degree I just hit way way higher than the 50 degree Cleveland I have. In fact the harder I hit it, the higher it goes. It's that plus the irons I have have got stronger lofts. (X Hot Pro) so my PW is probably a closer to a conventional 9iron. So the gap has widened both ends.

Not something they warn you about when you're buying the stronger lofted clubs of course :) I think I just need to learn how to take something off the PW. 90-100yds carry has to be a PW now because the current GW might carry 90 at a push but it will spin back 5... My issue is that when I try to swing easy at the PW I hit it very well. Maybe down the grip with each 10yd bucket might be the way forward...

I only said this today, i also have the problem with the PW and my 52*
    Thinking of getting it bent to 50*

Dossy wrote: »
    I only said this today, i also have the problem with the PW and my 52*
    Thinking of getting it bent to 50*

What loft or make is your PW Dossy, if it's anyway new it's likely a 45* PW.
    A 7* gap is probably too big.

Can you get a loft bent? Thought it was just lie angle.

What loft or make is your PW Dossy, if it's anyway new it's likely a 45* PW.
    A 7* gap is probably too big.

Can you get a loft bent? Thought it was just lie angle.

My PW is a Titleist AP1 not sure what loft, my 52* is a Vokey
    I got my 3 iron bent before as i used to hit 3 iron off the tee before,
    Fairly sure you can do the same with wedges

My PW is a Titleist AP1 not sure what loft, my 52* is a Vokey
    I got my 3 iron bent before as i used to hit 3 iron off the tee before,
    Fairly sure you can do the same with wedges

Think your PW is 44* so
    http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/AP1.aspx

Some sites have it at 45* but you'd have to go with the Titleist site.

You'll see that they have 2 additional wedges on offer at 48 and 52 as part of the set, from what I've seen, these are generally just on sale to the US market.

Anyway, back to the trouble of distances between your PW and 52... You should be having some trouble here, there should be another wedge sitting in between them, even 50 doesn't bridge the gap enough. I'd add a 48 and keep the 52 as is.

I carry my Mizuno JPX 800 PW (45*) and my vokey 48.... People ask why I have 2 PW's in the bag.... They're not both PW's, the manufacturers have decreased the loft (so they can sell extra distance) over the years. My PW just used to be called a 9 iron :)

Think your PW is 44* so
    http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/AP1.aspx

Some sites have it at 45* but you'd have to go with the Titleist site.

You'll see that they have 2 additional wedges on offer at 48 and 52 as part of the set, from what I've seen, these are generally just on sale to the US market.

Anyway, back to the trouble of distances between your PW and 52... You should be having some trouble here, there should be another wedge sitting in between them, even 50 doesn't bridge the gap enough. I'd add a 48 and keep the 52 as is.

I carry my Mizuno JPX 800 PW (45*) and my vokey 48.... People ask why I have 2 PW's in the bag.... They're not both PW's, the manufacturers have decreased the loft (so they can sell extra distance) over the years. My PW just used to be called a 9 iron :)

Im going to the range tomorrow and writting down my carry yardage again, ill have a look around for the 48* so, Thanks for the advice

Ya the way things are going with the manufactures people will be able to hit a lob wedge 150yds in 3yrs time :)

Im going to the range tomorrow and writting down my carry yardage again, ill have a look around for the 48* so, Thanks for the advice

Ya the way things are going with the manufactures people will be able to hit a lob wedge 150yds in 3yrs time :)

Might be worth trying a 48, it's a massive gap considering the distances involved and how much it counts for scoring.

I'd happily have that jump and leave a 4i out of the bag and play 3i and 5i.
    It wouldn't make a huge difference to me.

But you shouldn't be having such a gap around the 100 yard mark.
    I've just started to do this, it takes a while to convince yourself the PW is actually a 9i but once you do, you'll be a lot happier from where it counts IMO.

Might be worth trying a 48, it's a massive gap considering the distances involved and how much it counts for scoring.

I'd happily have that jump and leave a 4i out of the bag and play 3i and 5i.
    It wouldn't make a huge difference to me.

But you shouldn't be having such a gap around the 100 yard mark.
    I've just started to do this, it takes a while to convince yourself the PW is actually a 9i but once you do, you'll be a lot happier from where it counts IMO.

Ya im defo gonna try the 48 out and as you said leaving out the 4i isnt a big deal to me either, i notmally using the 3i anyway

I really notice the gap in the last 3 rounds, 2 holes on my local course are dog legs and i hit 3i to lay up then its in around 100-110 and i no PW is sailing over an i hit 52* an end up short :(

Ya im defo gonna try the 48 out and as you said leaving out the 4i isnt a big deal to me either, i notmally using the 3i anyway

I really notice the gap in the last 3 rounds, 2 holes on my local course are dog legs and i hit 3i to lay up then its in around 100-110 and i no PW is sailing over an i hit 52* an end up short :(

And so they should be :)

I think we can be a bit guilty of some form of machoism when it comes to our wedges.
    I can hit my Mizuno JPX 800 PW 120 yards. But I can only hit my Vokey PW 105 yards. :(:)

Took me long enough to figure it out.
    I was worse, I had a 54* and was wondering why I was brutal from 100 and in.

• Advertisement

I think we can be a bit guilty of some form of machoism when it comes to our wedges.
    I can hit my Mizuno JPX 800 PW 120 yards. But I can only hit my Vokey PW 105 yards. :(:)

I have a JPX PW - an animal - in fact I stopped using it for a while as it was too strong. I eventually decided to forget it is a PW (it is like an old 9 iron) - it isn't a PW as we know it. You can use it for certain holes from 130 yards.

So - in a way it causes a problem - I have a 60 / 56 / 52 - Vokey.

But if you then have a modern iron - with perhaps a strong loft - you then have too big a gap from 100 - 110 to the strong PW.

Anyway - if you are playing that well - it is a good problem.

I had only a PW up to 3 years ago. You can go too far too :)

Ya the 100yd club is the one you really need dialed in, I might even look at the AP1 wedge that you can get for the set, ill check the loft it tomorrow, i think people just assume these days that oh i have a PW (really a 9i) so i must now need a 52* 56* etc

Ya the 100yd club is the one you really need dialed in, I might even look at the AP1 wedge that you can get for the set, ill check the loft it tomorrow, i think people just assume these days that oh i have a PW (really a 9i) so i must now need a 52* 56* etc

I'll be honest - once you get a 56 - there is no turning back.
    Then you see why you need a 52.

Say you have a front pin 56, back you must get over a hill 52. Problem solved.
    Say you have a slight head wind - 52. Say you want ball to roll out a little more 52. Say you have a tail wind and dont want the ball to go to top tier and give you a down hill putt 56.

Having the tools makes you look at the green and shot in a new way. It improves you as a golfer in my view. Some people say you have to improve as a golfer first - but who is to say that is right. Anything that forces you to look at your distances in that way - makes you think more about it.

Get a 56 first - the next issue is the bounce of the club. Depends what type of course you play , what you plan on using 56 for. But when buying 56 ask lad in shop about bounce.

I'll be honest - once you get a 56 - there is no turning back.
    Then you see why you need a 52.

Say you have a front pin 56, back you must get over a hill 52. Problem solved.
    Say you have a slight head wind - 52. Say you want ball to roll out a little more 52. Say you have a tail wind and dont want the ball to go to top tier and give you a down hill putt 56.

Having the tools makes you look at the green and shot in a new way. It improves you as a golfer in my view. Some people say you have to improve as a golfer first - but who is to say that is right. Anything that forces you to look at your distances in that way - makes you think more about it.

Get a 56 first - the next issue is the bounce of the club. Depends what type of course you play , what you plan on using 56 for. But when buying 56 ask lad in shop about bounce.

Ya thats actually what i did for the 56 and 52, told your man where i played what the course was like what the bumkers were like etc....i agree with you about having the tools, in my view i tink most people starting off and maybe high hc can only hit full shots so trying to hit half a PW isnt an option as i myself have had awful results doing that :(

Interesting. A quick google on my own clubs has returned the following lofts per iron.

4i - 21°
    5i - 24°
    6i - 27°
    7i - 31°
    8i - 35.5°
    9i - 40°
    PW - 45°

So given that my own wedges are 50°, 54° & 58° I should have no such problem. It doesn't stack up though that I have a 40yd gap with just 5° difference in loft. Different [brand] clubs I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Interesting. A quick google on my own clubs has returned the following lofts per iron.

4i - 21°
    5i - 24°
    6i - 27°
    7i - 31°
    8i - 35.5°
    9i - 40°
    PW - 45°

So given that my own wedges are 50°, 54° & 58° I should have no such problem. It doesn't stack up though that I have a 40yd gap with just 5° difference in loft. Different [brand] clubs I suppose.

My PW is same loft and my 90-100 yd shot is Pelz pitching method with PW with arm at 9 o clock and club at 12. Are you saying your 3/4 shot with PW still goes too far ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    My PW is same loft and my 90-100 yd shot is Pelz pitching method with PW with arm at 9 o clock and club at 12. Are you saying your 3/4 shot with PW still goes too far ?

I'm rubbish at 3/4 shots. I always feel like I'm going to shank the head off it if I try 3/4 swings. But it's something I have to work on. Down the grip with a shorter swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

4i - 21°
    5i - 24°
    6i - 27°
    7i - 31°
    8i - 35.5°
    9i - 40°
    PW - 45°

I think it may actually be down to your shaft difference? Whats stiff for one manufacturer may not be stiff for another. The kick point my also vary the distance and flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Sounds strange that you're getting so little distance from the 50 degree ATV, I've the 52 degree ATV and find it the perfect club from 100 yards. For comparison my 47 degree PW goes about 125 yards.
    What type of shaft have you in the wedge, I'd guess that's where the issue might be as some of the "wedge" flex or "spinner" shafts can be quite soft leading to a higher ball flight.

• Advertisement

Out today and was it cold. 3 deg and a strong wind.

Only myself and 3 ladies at the course - had to ask a greenkeeper if course was open.

Very strong wind a 3 club one at times. But obviously helped on some holes. Nice finish to the year.
    Holed from 96 yards on a par 5 for eagle.

Missed some embarrassing short putts.

Swing feels confused at times - but I'm rarely hitting 2 bad shots in a row now - so the bad scores are staying off the card.
    So roll on 2014 - more competitive golf and sub 80 much more. In fact, forget about 80 and target a 71 (par).

It's the season to be foolish. :)

Again scrambling is improving and I hit more fairways.

Score 77
    Front 40 (+5)
    Back 37 (+1)
    Fairways (50%)
    GIR (44%)
    scrambling (40%)
    Sand Saves (50 %)
    Putts 31

Advertisement