Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? ... 2013.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fantastic work AJ, great to hear it, only wish id had a random day off to see you do it. I wish I could post stats like that for fir & gir!!

Lads above are right, tee to green you've struck the ball great any time we've played this year, so was only a matter of time before that cut happened.

Hopefully you can push on & get another in before the end of the year

Cheers Space, I did give you an hours notice, was disappointed that you didn't drop everything!

I got the stats mixed up.
    It was 71% FIR's and 61% GIR's.... looking at the stats for the 100th time.

Anyway, I'll leave it there and get back on topic.

Greebo won't be happy.......

.......with a (former) 18 HC'er hitting 11 GIR's.
    I was hoping to leave them all short Greebo, promise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

70 gross, -1, off 2 handicap in Lucan last Sunday, equating to 39 stableford points.

The first time I have broken par in almost 2 years, and even though we were off the white tees, I was delighted with the effort on a breezy, tricky day.

Ironically, the best round I've had all year was not enough to win anything, but a cut of 0.3 and plenty of encouraging signs were reward enough.

As usual, it really should've been better; I made a poor bogey on 3 after a good drive but hit it stone dead on the par 3 4th to get that back, then hit a driver and a 9 iron in to 6 feet on the downwind par 5 5th. An awful effort at the putt ensued, but made a simple birdie to get to -1. Drove it pin high on the par 4 6th, and was very disappointed to walk off with only a par after a sub-standard chip, but regained momentum with my second 2 of the day, courtesy of a 20 footer on 7.

On the 8th, I hit a driver and a gap wedge to 5 feet; from there, it was a horror show as I three-putted for an infuriating bogey 5. Managed to par 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 but, as the red mist ascended, I drove poorly off 14 and made another bogey. Pulled my drive slightly off 15, and was on my hands and knees hitting my second, which could only be poked back on to the fairway. An average pitch to 20 feet followed and I felt the wheels were coming off, but surprise, surprise, that putt went right in the middle. Unfortunately, I woefully under-clubbed on 16 and hit a weak chip to make my fourth bogey of the day, dropping to +1 in the process.

17 was always going to be a birdie chance, and I absolutely obliterated my drive with a helping wind down the par 5. Certainly the first time I've ever hit a gap wedge in for my second shot to that hole, a good indicator of the strength of the freshening breeze.The shot itself was only average, but I got it on the green and 2 putted for an obligatory birdie.
    That left me at even par standing on 18, which was right back into the same strong wind, and I felt a par 5 might still scrape some sort of prize out of the day. I pulled my drive a fraction, but was lucky to have half a shot from the spinney left, and I got a good rescue away into a decent position, at the top of the hill within 165 yards. I hit a lovely third shot with a punched 6 iron to about 16 feet, and, to my delight, the putt was never anywhere only dead centre.

Felt I was a shoe in for the gross but a score of -2 came in and I needed one more point to feature in the stableford prizes, so was obviously left regretting my exploits on 8. Nonetheless, it's been a while since I've broken par, so will definitely focus on the many positives I'll take away from the round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

70 gross, -1, off 2 handicap in Lucan last Sunday, equating to 39 stableford points.

The first time I have broken par in almost 2 years, and even though we were off the white tees, I was delighted with the effort on a breezy, tricky day.

Ironically, the best round I've had all year was not enough to win anything, but a cut of 0.3 and plenty of encouraging signs were reward enough.

As usual, it really should've been better; I made a poor bogey on 3 after a good drive but hit it stone dead on the par 3 4th to get that back, then hit a driver and a 9 iron in to 6 feet on the downwind par 5 5th. An awful effort at the putt ensued, but made a simple birdie to get to -1. Drove it pin high on the par 4 6th, and was very disappointed to walk off with only a par after a sub-standard chip, but regained momentum with my second 2 of the day, courtesy of a 20 footer on 7.

On the 8th, I hit a driver and a gap wedge to 5 feet; from there, it was a horror show as I three-putted for an infuriating bogey 5. Managed to par 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 but, as the red mist ascended, I drove poorly off 14 and made another bogey. Pulled my drive slightly off 15, and was on my hands and knees hitting my second, which could only be poked back on to the fairway. An average pitch to 20 feet followed and I felt the wheels were coming off, but surprise, surprise, that putt went right in the middle. Unfortunately, I woefully under-clubbed on 16 and hit a weak chip to make my fourth bogey of the day, dropping to +1 in the process.

17 was always going to be a birdie chance, and I absolutely obliterated my drive with a helping wind down the par 5. Certainly the first time I've ever hit a gap wedge in for my second shot to that hole, a good indicator of the strength of the freshening breeze.The shot itself was only average, but I got it on the green and 2 putted for an obligatory birdie.
    That left me at even par standing on 18, which was right back into the same strong wind, and I felt a par 5 might still scrape some sort of prize out of the day. I pulled my drive a fraction, but was lucky to have half a shot from the spinney left, and I got a good rescue away into a decent position, at the top of the hill within 165 yards. I hit a lovely third shot with a punched 6 iron to about 16 feet, and, to my delight, the putt was never anywhere only dead centre.

Felt I was a shoe in for the gross but a score of -2 came in and I needed one more point to feature in the stableford prizes, so was obviously left regretting my exploits on 8. Nonetheless, it's been a while since I've broken par, so will definitely focus on the many positives I'll take away from the round!

Great shooting, well done. I love reading your descriptions of your rounds by the way. To read them only focussing on the words you're using [ignoring the scores] you'd swear you had a horror show & were growling your way around the course, but you're walking off with unreal scores :). Oh to be that good...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

35pts for me in Moate on Saturday morning. Driving was good, so no thoughts of leaving driver in the bag for me but I do need to be more consistent with my approach shots which often ruin a good drive.
    Putting was only so-so. Some good, some bad, some unlucky and no flukey ones dropped for me. Highlights were birdies on Par 4 9th and Par 5 14th.

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Great shooting, well done. I love reading your descriptions of your rounds by the way. To read them only focussing on the words you're using [ignoring the scores] you'd swear you had a horror show & were growling your way around the course, but you're walking off with unreal scores :). Oh to be that good...

Hah, had to re-read my last post after that! Kind of you to say but I'm sure the lengthy posts bore as many as they entertain! I think they've become more of a diary of reflections for my own consumption at this stage :)

There's always plenty of growling during my rounds; indeed, it's too gentle a word to describe my attitude walking off the 8th on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Hah, had to re-read my last post after that! Kind of you to say but I'm sure the lengthy posts bore as many as they entertain! I think they've become more of a diary of reflections for my own consumption at this stage :)

There's always plenty of growling during my rounds; indeed, it's too gentle a word to describe my attitude walking off the 8th on Sunday!

You playing in the 9 hole later

You playing in the 9 hole later

Can't make it this evening PDE. Might be looking for a game over the weekend though, nothing much going on in Lucan with two 16 hole competitions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Highlights were birdies on Par 3 9th and Par 5 14th.

you mixed up a few holes there Andy!!!!!:D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    you mixed up a few holes there Andy!!!!!:D

Must have been subconcious typing coz I only needed the 3 shots on the 9th Charlie :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Must have been subconcious typing coz I only needed the 3 shots on the 9th Charlie :D

ha ha - see you edited your original post!! I only need 3 on it the last few times too!!

Slightly OT for a sec - did they scrap the plans to change the 9th tee box?

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    ha ha - see you edited your original post!! I only need 3 on it the last few times too!!

Slightly OT for a sec - did they scrap the plans to change the 9th tee box?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

42 points in Mallow today, 22 out 20 in.
    6 pars,9 bogeys,2 doubles and a scratch.First time parring 4 in a row 1 - 4:)
    Short game was in great shape with 6 up and down's, 31 putts with 3 3 putts thrown in too. Looking forward to getting down as I've been threatening it the last few rounds again only to not close out rounds scoring-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    42 points in Mallow today, 22 out 20 in.
    6 pars,9 bogeys,2 doubles and a scratch.First time parring 4 in a row 1 - 4:)
    Short game was in great shape with 6 up and down's, 31 putts with 3 3 putts thrown in too. Looking forward to getting down as I've been threatening it the last few rounds again only to not close out rounds scoring-wise.

Delighted for you. Knew there was a, sorry, are a few good rounds in you. Hopefully this is the first of many to you achieving your goal set at the start of the season..!! Roll on Saturday morning

millerj wrote: »
    Delighted for you. Knew there was a, sorry, are a few good rounds in you. Hopefully this is the first of many to you achieving your goal set at the start of the season..!! Roll on Saturday morning

Add in a few slice pans and a good sized turkey for the Christmas:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Sing Hallelujah...sing it...sing hallelujah

40 points in the Open in Grange Castle!
    86 strokes off 18 to get me 0.9 of a cut, my first cut of the year... which is my golfing career.

And that included 41 Putts!!!!!
    Sweet Jesus

16 points & 22 putts on the front 9, had a long hard talk to myself walking to the 10th.

Went around the back 9 in 3 over for 24 points.

Playing absolutely great golf tee to green!
    61% FIR
    71% GIR
    I'd be happy with 36 putts or so with those GIR's, there were definitely 5 more points out there, especially on the front 9.

3 eagle putts on 4 of the Par 5's.
    2 Pars and a birdie (on the 18th to finish on a high note) from them :(

From HDID, it looks like I came joint third, good luck beating me on the back 9 fella :)

So bloody happy (and slightly pissed off at the same time) with myself
    Jaysus AJ, just saw this now, savage score congrats, but you should be shot for that many putts:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Add in a few slice pans and a good sized turkey for the Christmas:pac:

Ha ha...just read this now. Heard you were fond of sandwiches alright! Couldn't get bread in Glanmire after your last visit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

112 so one over my best but I didnt lose any balls and made 2 par3's and a par5. Putting is really letting me down though, Ieither carry too much speed or not enough. Id say I averaged 3-4 putts per hole. Going to see if I can read/do anything to help other than what my current plan is... play more golf:)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

88 shots, 39 points in Balkykisteen today. Game finally coming together - bit late in the year though! Didn't look likely given I went out of bounds with my drive on the first! Had a number of putts shave the hole and stay out.

Finished 7th overall. 42 points won and CSS was 38 so only got cut 0.3 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

83 strokes yesterday
    10 pars
    4 bogeys
    4 doubles
    31 putts

Last few weeks have struggled to break 80, too many double bogeys and not enough birdies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

32 points today, not scoring well at all!

At this rate I may be playing off 11 for the winter :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭chud1234

32 points today .
    end of year slump kicking in I hope all parts of game average

33 points today in Lismore after a 2 shot cut; 1 ahead of level 2's standing on the 16th- dbogey,scratch,dbogey. FFS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

ballyk wrote: »
    88 shots, 39 points in Balkykisteen today. Game finally coming together - bit late in the year though! Didn't look likely given I went out of bounds with my drive on the first! Had a number of putts shave the hole and stay out.

Driver on first ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Driver on first ?

Last time I played with ballyk he hit rescue I'm sure.:confused:

Driver on first ?

4 iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

ballyk wrote: »
    4 iron.

Saw drive and thought driver. On that hole driver would make Greebo cry :-)

Saw drive and thought driver. On that hole driver would make Greebo cry :-)

I should probably have said tee shot rather than drive. You'd only take driver if you were going for the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

1 over gross in club outing in bunclody yesterday. 2 bogeys, 1 double along with 3 birdies. A cracking course in great nick despite all the rain this week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well my putting dramatically improved.
    29 putts today.
    2 chip ins helped, as did far less GIRs :(

89 strokes off 17 for 36 points which normally I'd be happy with.
    But I had 23 points coming off the 9th.

That's a 4 over front nine and a 3 over back that I've had this week.

Took too much club on 11th and I knew it as I stood over it, should have stepped back but proceeded to duff it into the drink. That was the first of 3 scratches in 4 holes.
    Red mist.
    Got it back together to hit 36 but a missed opportunity.

FIR's 64%
    GIR's 22%
    Putts 29

8 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    1 DB
    3 Blanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Another shocker today.
    +8 and +7 on the back.
    34 putts