Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I went to the driving range thursday night for a bit of practice, lets just say I'm not looking forward to playing tomorrow!!

I may stack up on balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Back to my average of low 90's after changing my grip a few weeks ago.
    Gained yardage on all my clubs. PW is now 130yds, 52° is 100yds and 56° is about 70 with the 60° just for around greens or about 40yds in.

Have to work on drilling the draw with the driver again as its gotten a bit out of shape.
    Working on getting the ball closer to the pin on chip ins and my putting which has come good for me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Last outing of 2013. Quick 9 yielded +2 for 23 pts. Unfortunately that was all she wrote for whole of holidays.

Encouragement for next year though so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Last outing of 2013. Quick 9 yielded +2 for 23 pts. Unfortunately that was all she wrote for whole of holidays.

Encouragement for next year though so happy out.

That today alx. Nice going.

Was it not, just a bog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Been spending alot of time in the range lately and had a few things to work on after getting few lessons. Swing finally seems to be comfortable, i just hope its not one of these things where its only working for a week or two,
    I seem to have bit of confidence in my swing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

That today alx. Nice going.

Was it not, just a bog ?

Yesterday. Very wet but still playable. This year aim is to repeat with card in hand !!

Went out to the range to get some of the drills I've been meaning to try out of the way, some worked and some didn't.

I have got the draw shape back,just not as good as I had,hopefully it comes good tomorrow on course (weather permitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Finally made the decision to change the pro I was getting lessons off. . The last. 2-3 lessons I got I felt I was nt making any more progress (15 in total last year) kack handed to normal grip . He s done some great things for me in fairness Id just like a fresh pair of eyes for 2-3 lessons and then I'm
    Out playing every weekend and see how the year gose . Played very little last 6 months , been awful lot of range work so be great to just get out and play this year . First lesson with new pro is today , fingers crossed it goes well

jokser250 wrote: »
    Finally made the decision to change the pro I was getting lessons off. . The last. 2-3 lessons I got I felt I was nt making any more progress (15 in total last year) kack handed to normal grip . He s done some great things for me in fairness Id just like a fresh pair of eyes for 2-3 lessons and then I'm
    Out playing every weekend and see how the year gose . Played very little last 6 months , been awful lot of range work so be great to just get out and play this year . First lesson with new pro is today , fingers crossed it goes well
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take to adjust to the new grip?
    My brother plays cackhanded and is playing with the idea of changing so he can find drills etc that he can use and to straighten his posture due to back problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bo91

Thinking of getting two new grips for my GW and SW , was thinking golf pride as it has a nice feel for the shorter shots . Any use ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

It took 4 -5 weeks to get the grip right daily practice . It's one of the most important parts of changing swing to get the grip right and work from there . My advice for your brother would be pay for 5 lessons from a pro , do some research before you decide which pro and go from there . I find I can hit further and higher with every club in the bag now , just need consistency and bit more work on the finer details had no practice routine at all before used to just take a look and swing . I wish him the best of luck if he Gose through with it

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

jokser250 wrote: »
    It took 4 -5 weeks to get the grip right daily practice . It's one of the most important parts of changing swing to get the grip right and work from there . My advice for your brother would be pay for 5 lessons from a pro , do some research before you decide which pro and go from there . I find I can hit further and higher with every club in the bag now , just need consistency and bit more work on the finer details had no practice routine at all before used to just take a look and swing . I wish him the best of luck if he Gose through with it

just going through the changeover from cack handed at the moment.very strange at the begining but feeling more natural now.plenty of work put in so far at the range and no actual golf been played.lots more work needed but hopefully will be worth it.have a good pro with good patience so lucky there.
    Jokser have you had many lessons so far

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Haven't practiced in months. Going to get a lesson in the next 2 weeks and kick off the new year. My home course is currently very badly flooded :(

Had a few bad rounds lately. Weather played a part but not the biggest.

I find when I'm having a bad run of shots its down to the club/set up just doesn't feel right no matter what I do. At a guess I'd say I'm out of position or when I'm in it I can't tell.

That will be the first thing I'll ask for in my lessons, Stance,Grip and Ball Position.

I feel once I have these set in stone so that on a bad day I can fall back into them I'll be more consistent instead of throwing my hands up saying "What am I doing wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I’ve been pondering this for the last while with a foregolf session imminently, a new baby to limit practise time and the new year making me think ahead to what might be…

My golf career to date has been a lot of energy and practise with no evidence on the golf course / handicap. Relative to most I’m a frustrated poor golfer. Frustrated by occasional flashes of what might be.

2013 was probably my most solid years golf to date.

According to Golfshot, over my last twenty rounds I have hit 32.7% of fairways, with a reasonably equal distribution of misses left and right. My sense is that my more destructive misses are right, with my slice still hanging around when I make an eager swing (although a lot of work has gone into this) and I know what causes it for the most part.

I’ve gotten a lot better off the tee this year though, I was desperate for topping tee shots previously and this has calmed down substantially.

Greens in regulation is showing as 26.5% with no stats on back, front, left or right. I don’t have a great sense of where I am missing greens.

Putting has tightened a little bit this year, into a still poor average of 2.

My handicap reduced from a high of 20.8 into a low of 17.4. Now 17.6.

My two targets for the year were to get into 15 and beat 85 (previous best 92).
    I hit 87 three times.

I did well in a number of the medals, which I think ties in with my takeaway for the year - routine. I need to focus on routine, particularly once I’m off the tee, and the medals have tended to focus the mind a little bit more. I don’t seem to have a defined routine and decision making process for any of my shots and I think this will need to change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hands up who started to read that post and thought we were going to lose a golfer! :)

Very similar problems to myself Uber, I'm just being to get to grips with the mental side of the game in the last 3-4 months. It can't just be a 4 hour stroll interrupted by swinging a club.
    It sounds mad but up till then I wouldn't know what shot to play from 100y and in. Wouldn't know what club to hit or what type of shot I should hit. It's not as if I hadn't hit plenty of good & bad ones before that, I just wasn't paying attention overall.

I found golfshot great because once I had a few rounds from this year I started to look at the stats more and it really focused my mind.
    There was a thread on keeping a notepad recently, it's not a bad idea either.

I was pretty clued in with practice at the range but when it came to the course I wasn't paying attention at all.
    Anyway, think I've started to turn the corner and am becoming less of an eejit on the course. Scores are benefitting from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Got a text last night to say that I'd received a cut at the handicap committee's latest meeting, only 0.3 to 17.3 but at least it means I'm playing off a shot fewer

Very up and down.

Was sure I was getting somewhere a month ago - but the practice dropped off a little and playing a little less than I was. Had 35 pts then 30 pts in last 2 rounds. The 30 pts was the worst game I've had in a good while. Couldn't do anything right - the only positive is - that round would have been 25 pts a year ago.

Putting has seemed to have totally deserted me again. Funny felt I was getting places here. In the back of my mind - I feel , I have to try something new here.

Have booked 5 lessons - as have reverted to my old OTT swing - throwing club at ball from top. Would be fine for fishing. But most irons are a slice and drive is out of the park.

Won't panic - hope it was just a blip.

Hopefully it is just because I'm not playing enough - even if I'm playing more golf than most people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Driving not too bad.
    Irons not too bad.
    Putting not too bad.
    Chipping round the greens & from anything that is less than half a swing, an absolute disaster. If I can sort that out, I think I can start playing some nice golf again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

My game is awesome because I'm awesome.
    No really it's true, I am awesome!.

• Advertisement

So had a lesson with my pro.

As I expected, my swing had gone back to where it was maybe 2 years ago. Not sure why this had happened - I think, I was just scoring well as my short game had come on so much. Behind it all I knew my flight was very weak - sometimes thin - sometimes left. I was just getting up and down better, choosing better clubs off tees.

When I was shown the video footage - I was shocked - over-swing - too much inside on way back and way outside the line on the way down. It raises an interesting question, about - if we should be just happy with the odd low score or have yourself in a position to be a better golfer.

The putting had gone very weak on the short stuff too.

So all In all - I've converted myself into Padraig Harrington type. Never happy. :o

Aaahhh that is a joke - but I know this tinkering and trying to do something new all the time will eventually drive you nuts.

But for the moment - I'm happy enough to experiment. In the back of my mind I want to shoot a 72 or lower in the next year to 18 months.

Even If I have the staying power for this - I'm not sure the people around me have :) (golf friends etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Game at the moment seemed ok until i got a check up lesson, found out my right knee is locking up again, also found out that my left shoulder is staying wayyy open at address,

Got my few things to workon but the knee im finding very hard,
    Very annoyed since i played Doonbeg recently and was comfortable on the course and was confident in my swing only to find i went back to locking up the right knee,

Now i did ask the Pro do i need to fix this since i was feeling comfident and comfortable in my swing but he said long term i should change it and also should correct one or two other things that he is not happy with (wont tell me these because he knows i over think things)

Other than that im fully ready for 2014 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I seem to be getting them a bit high.
    It might be the location of the tee....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Might be just a honey moon period but after a 3 month lay off im hitting the ball great.
    Played 9 holes thursday playing 2 balls every hole with accumulative score (bodgey + birdie = par)
    Finished 4 over with 3 birdies and 11 greens hit but only 4 fairways hit with 2 penatly drops.

Im debating about going to foregolf for a fitting since my MP30's are kinda old now

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lesson today in mount Juliet to iron out many faults. Huge problem with back leg collapsing on the backswing and club coming in way on the inside. Needs a lot of work in the next few weeks to fix. Been getting away with it for quite a while as the short game has been really good but need to sort out the long game if any progress is made this year

Had my first lesson this evening.

Changed the grip to a more neutral and less strong.

Shorten my back swing and a more vertical swing. I was over swinging and a little flat.

Tempo, I had one but it changed from shot to shot.

Overall I'm happy, I went looking to get a grip and posture (which he said was good) and maybe a swing I can drill and I got them.

Now to drill the hell out of them

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Had my first lesson this evening.

Changed the grip to a more neutral and less strong.

Shorten my back swing and a more vertical swing. I was over swinging and a little flat.

Tempo, I had one but it changed from shot to shot.

Overall I'm happy, I went looking to get a grip and posture (which he said was good) and maybe a swing I can drill and I got them.

Now to drill the hell out of them

Was hell and post 666 intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was hell and post 666 intentional.

The devil is in the detail Fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

levitronix wrote: »
    Might be just a honey moon period but after a 3 month lay off im hitting the ball great.
    Played 9 holes thursday playing 2 balls every hole with accumulative score (bodgey + birdie = par)
    Finished 4 over with 3 birdies and 11 greens hit but only 4 fairways hit with 2 penatly drops.

Im debating about going to foregolf for a fitting since my MP30's are kinda old now

If your playing well with them i wouldnt bother? there a lovely club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

after getting 4 lessons over a 3 month period from the pro in Bray Golf Club ( very highly recommended ) .. I feel now I have a swing that is my own...

I am playing very consistent and when I hit a bad shot , I know why I have and dont dwell on it... I am playing off 17 and over the xmas I won a turkey competiton and got a 2nd place in a stableford comp, as well as scoring 29 points in a 12 hole comp.... So I can see the progress happening...

Key to developing and progressing to me , is to stop trying all the " internet and youtube tips " , get a good coach ( That you enjoy working with and taylors HIS coachign to YOU ) , and practice his coaching....

I can see myself getting to around 12 handicap this summer , and really loving the game more than I ever have.

Sorry for the babbling....

Advertisement