Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Not a merc anyway as a twin turbo v8 is only used in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lomb wrote: »
    750 or 650i?

650i was my first thought too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Could be an X6 or X5 either, but i'm going with a 2009 F01 750li.

A 750Li is an F02! I wouldn't buy an X6 or X5 as it has to be a different category to my other cars.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I love this thread the most. I wish I knew a bit more about mechanics though, my older brother is a mechanic, so I never had any need to learn, as he just fixed everything. I did the same for him, but with computers. Now Ive moved to Ireland Im going to have to learn a bit more.

Its the only thing that frightens me a bit about buying a luxobarge, the potential for loads of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

pajor wrote: »

Prepare for gearbox failure. Great cars, but the gearbox is made of chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I love this thread the most. I wish I knew a bit more about mechanics though, my older brother is a mechanic, so I never had any need to learn, as he just fixed everything. I did the same for him, but with computers. Now Ive moved to Ireland Im going to have to learn a bit more.

Its the only thing that frightens me a bit about buying a luxobarge, the potential for loads of bills.

Yeah I reckon buying any of these kinds of cars, you'll have to get your hands dirty. No other way to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Marcusm wrote: »
    A 750Li is an F02! I wouldn't buy an X6 or X5 as it has to be a different category to my other cars.....

Ah ya nitpicker! So was I right? :D

Ah ya nitpicker! So was I right? :D

Judge for yourself from the pics below and all for the price of an entry level Mondeo.

Top class, i've seen these as low as the £17000s. Well, 730s that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Over here the 730s cost more than the V8s :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Nice :)

As a value proposition, a flagship model with a few years of depreciation is unbeatable. I'll always have one in the stable, they make the pain of long journeys just melt away.

Praise the lord that most folk are frightened of the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

daRobot wrote: »
    As a value proposition, a flagship model with a few years of depreciation is unbeatable. I'll always have one in the stable, they make the pain of long journeys just melt away.

Hallelujah! :D

the 750Li doesn't seem to have gone as low as £17k.
    unkel wrote: »
    Over here the 730s cost more than the V8s :D

For the right model, they are in the UK too as there is much more demand. This one has sat in the dealership for at least 5 months.
    Nice :)

I agree with this and, with the right usage, the bills shouldn't be that high.

Of course it can't be a painless experience and, I have had to have a lot of humour with this one. The windscreen has had a big crack in it since they took it in but they have not replaced it - bizarre as almost no one would take it out without it being fixed. I made an appoitnment to test it and we walked up the hill to the back of their site (500+ BMWs) and then he went back to get the key (when I noticed windscreen). When he got back, he remembered trying it the previous week and realising the battery was dead - so it needed a jump start. THen they didn't want to take it out for 30 mins of slow running. Stayed patient - they had 10 salesmen and 1 customer. It gets busy at weekends but by their own admission it's dead during the week.

Absolutely no fuel in it so off to the petrol pump where he added the huge sum of £7. I had to push hard to get to drive it on the motorway; in fairness, I did push on hard when I got on the motorway - it gets to 110mph very easily.

Back to the office, agree a price but only after I had him go off and check (by ringing Autoglass) that he could get the screen replaced today (Friday). Reason being that I wantedneeded to collect it early Saturday morning. All agreed.

Then this morning I get a call at 8:45am from their office admin to tell me that I'm supposed to be in that morning (Friday) to pick it up! I express surprise and am told that it's not available anyway and to come back mid morning tomorrow (impossible). Subsequently we agree that I'll pick it up tonight - it's 3 trains to get within 3 miles of it seeing as I otherwise I need someone else to drive my car back (arranged for Saturday morning but now they're too busy to do the paperwork then).

So, now I should be on the multiple trains to get there but the windscreen is not the right one as they need the special lane assist one! You couldn't make it up. Ah well, I'll just have to wait another few days..

Jesus, and I thought getting mine home was a pain in the hole. Just tell yourself it will be worth it! Would you believe there's only two models I know of in the entire Dundalk area, they're very thin on the ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Marcusm wrote: »
    The windscreen has had a big crack in it since they took it in but they have not replaced it. When he got back, he remembered trying it the previous week and realising the battery was dead - so it needed a jump start. Then they didn't want to take it out for 30 mins of slow running. Absolutely no fuel in it so off to the petrol pump where he added the huge sum of £7.

If it wasn't for the £7 petrol this sounds exactly like going to view a car in the Ballymount area. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the £7 petrol this sounds exactly like going to view a car in the Ballymount area. :eek:

...........the Naas Road Triangle!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

OK, I know the max on this thread is €4000 but this is €4500 from a dealer and with a bit of cash off it just about scrapes in over the threshold. It's some wagon for the cash to be fair.

From a dealer, smooth V6 , might not be a V8 as some on here would prefer but it's a bit cheaper in running costs over the year and 225 bhp is more than adequate to keep this thing moving along nicely. Colour is a bit bland for my taste but won't make a resale any more difficult.

€4500, NCT till 05/14

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-sl-class-3-2-v6-auto-leat/4999879

View2-19731778.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Maybe its just me but theres no way im paying top rate of tax on a 3.2. If I'm paying top rate of tax its on something ridiculous with at least a 4.0 L v8 but preferably a 5 litre.

Good find though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Prepare for gearbox failure. Great cars, but the gearbox is made of chocolate.
    Sadly 100% accurate. My S8 had 3 gearboxes in 180k miles. Engine was still awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Sadly 100% accurate. My S8 had 3 gearboxes in 180k miles. Engine was still awesome though.

I'm not planning on getting it anytime soon.

Could it not handle the power or just generally poor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'04 Legacy
    Tested June '14
    Full service History
    Asking €2,500

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-full-service-history/5666999

View2-23101776.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Hardly classifies as a luxobarge mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Sobanek wrote: »
    Hardly classifies as a luxobarge mate.

how come? I know it is subjective but big size, big engine, nice interior etc etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

how come? I know it is subjective but big size, big engine, nice interior etc etc ?

In that case a 330i would also classify ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Luxobarge is a car thats a monster such as an a8, s class, 7 series or high powered with an engine greater than 4.0L.
    Well in my books anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd just think of it as anything bargey and swanky on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A 5er or a Legacy are too small / agile to be called a barge (IMO).

^^ I think there's a compliment in there somewhere... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

yet the merc at the top of the page is considered a barge??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement