Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pajor wrote: »
    Seems a bit shmokey..? Or was it just a cold morning?

Or just an eighteen year old Merc?

Cold morning. Tis September don't ya know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm right in thinking that Luxobarges don't need to be in bangernomics territory?

I've bored the chat thread with my interest in getting a 12 cyl and some of my test driving antics. I'm buying it with a mate (he's from Mullingar, I'm from Gorey but we've both lived in London for the last 17 years or so) and we both have other cars. The idea is to get a sports saloon for cruising, European trips etc. We've been through Jag XJRs, Daimler Super 8, Bentlet Flying Spur and (without wanting to jinx it), I think we've settled on the car in the photos and hope to be picking it up next week - 5.5L biturbo v12..

Edit: Sory should have said; late 2006, about £20k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

20k? Why not the W220 S65 AMG? :D

The incredible thing is that these cars costed over 100k new, and can be purchased for the fraction of the price, yet they still provide the same comfort as a brand new S-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sweet! Very well wear. What a cruiser for long distance trips :)
    Marcusm wrote: »

There's probably none for sale over here in that condition, but if there was, it would cost less than half that :eek:

Sobanek wrote: »
    20k? Why not the W220 S65 AMG? :D

The incredible thing is that these cars costed over 100k new, and can be purchased for the fraction of the price, yet they still provide the same comfort as a brand new S-Class.

That would be a bit older, not sure the extra power is required and less like a luxobarge. The S600L had a quicker 0-60 time than an equivalent vintage DB9 or Vanquish S for what that's worth. Also not sure it would be available in LWB. Purchase price was £118k; it has every option then available.
    unkel wrote: »
    Sweet! Very well wear. What a cruiser for long distance trips :)

There's probably none for sale over here in that condition, but if there was, it would cost less than half that :eek:

Even in the UK, it's practically the only one for sale. Not sure it woudl sell for 1/2 as much in Ireland as I think it would be exported PROVIDED it had a FSH. The differential is too much. Some of the XJRs and similar were Irish reg'd originally. Was very surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I'm right in thinking that Luxobarges don't need to be in bangernomics territory?

I've bored the chat thread with my interest in getting a 12 cyl and some of my test driving antics. I'm buying it with a mate (he's from Mullingar, I'm from Gorey but we've both lived in London for the last 17 years or so) and we both have other cars. The idea is to get a sports saloon for cruising, European trips etc. We've been through Jag XJRs, Daimler Super 8, Bentlet Flying Spur and (without wanting to jinx it), I think we've settled on the car in the photos and hope to be picking it up next week - 5.5L biturbo v12..

You've bored the motors thread with your search for a 12 cylinder that most of us could only dream to own and run???
    No you haven't!:D
    We want more!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

The idea is to get a sports saloon for cruising, European trips etc. We've been through Jag XJRs, Daimler Super 8, Bentlet Flying Spur and (without wanting to jinx it), I think we've settled on the car in the photos and hope to be picking it up next week - 5.5L biturbo v12..

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Whole point of luxobarges I suppose. :D

I like anyway :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj8/5639536

View2-22966682.jpeg

You'd struggle to get more Jaaaaag for that money I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's a whole lot of Noughties Jag for the money.

I'm raaaaaaaaaaaaaging. The head dealer is off for the day and the secretary assistant has just rung me to tell me that his offsider has sold the car this afternoon despite agreeing not to sell it without ringing me. I was happy to give them a deposit or the full price even yesterday but wanted a confirmed insurance quote.

After 3 more calls they claim they can source another one (their speciality apparently) but couldn't get themselves together to tell me this before letting me down. I now there's no sale until there's an agreed price but they have sold it for a decent wodge under the asking which the head dealer told me was put on the website in error - the assistant in reducing the price by £4k had moved it down to their minimum rather than moving it down £2k. Hilarious, they would even have had more money.

I don't have any claim on them but for a tiny operation working from a former petrol station, they don't seem to be very organised.

• Advertisement

I don't have any claim on them but for a tiny operation working from a former petrol station, they don't seem to be very organised.

That's just shoddy really.

Not wanting to play the devil's advocate, but should you really be parting with 20k to a crowd who don't seem that organised and on top of things? :o

pajor wrote: »
    That's just shoddy really.

Not wanting to play the devil's advocate, but should you really be parting with 20k to a crowd who don't seem that organised and on top of things? :o

It hurts them more than me; when I called yesterday afternoon, I anticipated them pushing for a deposit and would have given it. I should have realised that the assistant didn't know her arse from her elbow. The fact that she had already misupdated the website (I believe that wasn't him spoofing me) and could take the time to call me 2 minutes after he put the deposit down rather than before he took it out for a test drive shows how they don't have an eye for the chance.

The car was topnotch; had an MB healthcheck that morning (MB main dealer willing to discuss) requiring only spark plugs on top of service for £500 due shortly. I reckon they've missed out on £1k out of the sale which is a lot considering he bought for a little under £20k and initially expected to get £23k. The annoying thing is that the interior is pretty unusual - most are black or grey (yeuch) - and I doubt that there'll be much chance to get another one. I'm not in desperate need of the car, it's the first one I've properly tested and not bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I was always a fan of the A8 of that vintage. Looks good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

Have to say I always loved these cars. NCT till June next year. €3900

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xk8-1997-70k-on-2005-engine/5499367

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

New engine, so no Nikasil problems? Beauty but the seller is a bit optimistic with his price.

New engine, so no Nikasil problems? Beauty but the seller is a bit optimistic with his price.

That car has been up for ages.
    I was considering one before the alfa, being young is a pain!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mickyellow wrote: »
    Have to say I always loved these cars. NCT till June next year. €3900

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xk8-1997-70k-on-2005-engine/5499367

I dont understand why you would take photos of your car sitting on a sandy beach.....I would NEVER take my car onto the beach if I valued it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I dont understand why you would take photos of your car sitting on a sandy beach.....I would NEVER take my car onto the beach if I valued it.

Are you on the wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Jesus. wrote: »
    Are you on the wind up?

The sand and salt water should do wonders for the alloys and the bodywork!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

One trip to the beach for photos, sure it'll start rusting instantly, and no amount of washing will get that dangerous salt-laced dihydrogen monoxide off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rovoagho wrote: »
    One trip to the beach for photos, sure it'll start rusting instantly, and no amount of washing will get that dangerous salt-laced dihydrogen monoxide off.

And what amount of washing do you know the owner has done between taking the photo and you buying the car?

There is no need to try and be all cool about it, salt-water is bad for cars, bikes, anything that will rust, if you deny this, then start another thread, perhaps in the conspiracy forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'm the one jumping to conclusions? Ha!

EDIT: On second thoughts, are you being obtuse, or did you just miss the joke completely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nice car, possibly a future classic. Road tax €1800? Car is 1997, @ €3900 , owner is extremely optimistic. One for the enthusiast!:)

After last week's drama, I have put a deposit on a luxobarge but not one of the ones I've previously mentioned. Unfortunately it won't have 12 cyl, only 8 but 2 turbos to give an overall 407bhp. Similar price to the others but newer (2009) so a current model, maybe more of a sporty barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You're a tease.

Nice car, possibly a future classic. Road tax €1800? Car is 1997, @ €3900 , owner is extremely optimistic. One for the enthusiast!:)

Try find one for cheaper though. Its one of the nicest looking cars from the 90s.
    Yearly road tax doesnt bother me. Itd only be taxed for 3 months of the year anyway.
    Neighbour has his taxed as a limo!:rolleyes:

Another one for my If i had space rantings (I might start a thread). I can see myself buying one in the future at a lot more than what theyre going for now.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

After last week's drama, I have put a deposit on a luxobarge but not one of the ones I've previously mentioned. Unfortunately it won't have 12 cyl, only 8 but 2 turbos to give an overall 407bhp. Similar price to the others but newer (2009) so a current model, maybe more of a sporty barge.

750 or 650i?

"Only" 8.

We're listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lomb wrote: »
    750 or 650i?

Could be an X6 or X5 either, but i'm going with a 2009 F01 750li.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement