Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

yet the merc at the top of the page is considered a barge??

S-Class Roadster :) So yeah ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS430-LPG-CONVERTED-LUXURY-PACK-/300970191380?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item461338aa14

$(KGrHqJ,!nwFIuFrlhWPBSOv6ewljg~~60_12.JPG

Lexus LS430 with an LPG conversion 3,500 in queens english a bit of haggling and VRT should be around 4,000 euros

If it I was my money I'd hold out and go for a later car with the 6 speed automatic

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS430-LPG-CONVERTED-LUXURY-PACK-/300970191380?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item461338aa14

$(KGrHqJ,!nwFIuFrlhWPBSOv6ewljg~~60_12.JPG

Lexus LS430 with an LPG conversion 3,500 in queens english a bit of haggling and VRT should be around 4,000 euros

If it I was my money I'd hold out and go for a later car with the 6 speed automatic

LPG fuel cap is different in the UK market afaik, so it will be useless here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

You can get an adaptor AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Scortho wrote: »
    Luxobarge is a car thats a monster such as an a8, s class, 7 series or high powered with an engine greater than 4.0L.
    Well in my books anyway!:D

Ya, in hindsight you have a point.!

• Advertisement

You can get an adaptor AFAIK

Ah, didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A junior luxobarge here in the form of my old Rover 75. It was a lovely car when I had it. I sold it last November to the current owner. No idea why he is selling so soon though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/5646208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ba_barabus wrote: »
    A junior luxobarge here in the form of my old Rover 75. It was a lovely car when I had it. I sold it last November to the current owner. No idea why he is selling so soon though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/5646208

Nice looking car:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Maybe almost year long time in one of them...snooze snooze. Wondering, how does asking price compare to last Nov selling price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Maybe almost year long time in one of them...snooze snooze. Wondering, how does asking price compare to last Nov selling price?

well tis a hefty price now tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Max Power1 wrote: »
    well tis a hefty price now tbh

Extremely optimistic IMHO. Even though the car looks good . Thought €2000 tops!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Extremely optimistic IMHO. Even though the car looks good . Thought €2000 tops!:)

€3700 for a 9 year old Rover. LOL

road_high wrote: »
    €3700 for a 9 year old Rover. LOL

It is a the nicest 9 year old rover (bar of course the v8 Rover 75) but still too steep by at least 1.5k imo

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Wondering, how does asking price compare to last Nov selling price?
    He is selling it at a loss ;)

He is selling it at a loss ;)

wow you got a great deal so ;)

Max Power1 wrote: »
    wow you got a great deal so ;)
    It was as close as you could get to factory fresh when I sold it. I mean genuinely mint. I've no idea what it's like now. What I can tell you is that it never broke 39mpg. My current 318 is cheaper to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Red Kev wrote: »
    OK, I know the max on this thread is €4000 but this is €4500 from a dealer and with a bit of cash off it just about scrapes in over the threshold. It's some wagon for the cash to be fair.

From a dealer, smooth V6 , might not be a V8 as some on here would prefer but it's a bit cheaper in running costs over the year and 225 bhp is more than adequate to keep this thing moving along nicely. Colour is a bit bland for my taste but won't make a resale any more difficult.

€4500, NCT till 05/14

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-sl-class-3-2-v6-auto-leat/4999879

View2-19731778.jpeg

Those v6s are a bucket of Turd. Trust me I had two of them...I should have learned the 2nd time.. Asthmatic ....truly one of mercs dog engines. As previous mentioned when your paying 1800 plus a year in tax you want to be hunting with the big dogs and that mean cubic capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

so a 75 is a "luxobarge" and a 5 series is not?? Im finding this more baffling by the posts on here.... its a 2litre, not particularly massive either.

so a 75 is a "luxobarge" and a 5 series is not?? Im finding this more baffling by the posts on here.... its a 2litre, not particularly massive either.

I never said a 5 series isn't.

The 75 is a small luxobarge in my eyes. It's got door to door soft leather, wood, auto and a pillowy soft ride to mention but a few. It's certainly a wafter and as such it's a luxobarge.

I don't think there is a requirement that everything in here be a V8 etc. I think the 75 fits in pretty well and as for the 2litre quip I did also point out in my post it was a small luxobarge.

W123-80's wrote: »
    '04 Legacy
    Tested June '14
    Full service History
    Asking €2,500

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-full-service-history/5666999

View2-23101776.jpeg

this was deemed not a luxobarge or the red 5 series posted by the same poster above. I then asked what deemed a car to be a luxobarge and the posts consisted of v8s, 4 litres etc

Perhaps any car with a half decent interior could be regarded as "mini luxobarge";)

Im merely asking a question and nothing more, so far I have not had a clear or semi clear definition as to what constitutes a luxobarge for this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

My 156 has wall to wall of momo leather and I wouldn't consider it a luxobarge.
    I would consider the 166 but only if it had the v6 engine and that's at a push.

Rover 75, 5 series, a6's aren't barges.

Scortho wrote: »
    Rover 75, 5 series, a6's aren't barges.

The 75 feels like one to drive. I think it qualifies given that the rest are more drivers cars but the 75 is an old school wafter. There isn't anything like it now available. It majors on comfort and very little else. A barge to me must major on comfort and features.

I wouldn't consider a 166 with any engine a barge as it handles well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

this was deemed not a luxobarge or the red 5 series posted by the same poster above. I then asked what deemed a car to be a luxobarge and the posts consisted of v8s, 4 litres etc

Perhaps any car with a half decent interior could be regarded as "mini luxobarge";)

Im merely asking a question and nothing more, so far I have not had a clear or semi clear definition as to what constitutes a luxobarge for this thread

It effectively goes on size to my mind, due to the differing standard specs. A 5 series/E class/A6/GS is a barge. A 7 series/S class/A8/LS is a luxobarge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've never come across anything so Marmite as the 75. I absolutely detest them. It's like they took all the basic concepts of a Jaguar, and implemented them completely assways on what was already a fat, ugly car. They're vile things. And they ain't barges by any stretch of the imagination.

Surely both cars can exist in this thread. Bangernomics has it's fair share of luxobarges below a certain price level. Therefore if you make this thread too defined to only include V8's between 2000-4000 euro the thread becomes too focused.

I don't see why a very well finished saloon that handles like a barge and was aimed at that part of the market has no place in this thread.

The Subaru however would never be considered a barge to me.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I've never come across anything so Marmite as the 75. I absolutely detest them. It's like they took all the basic concepts of a Jaguar, and implemented them completely assways on what was already a fat, ugly car. They're vile things. And they ain't barges by any stretch of the imagination.

I actually like 75s tbf, especially a high spec in jet black is a very nice car. I find the range of colours for them were a little hit or miss but definitely a car I like

It effectively goes on size to my mind
    So would a driver focused sports car with a large engine qualify as a luxobarge?

So would a driver focused sports car with a large engine qualify as a luxobarge?

I asked the very same question, check out the silver merc top of the last page. I believed it wouldnt be deemed a luxobarge but it was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I never said a 5 series isn't.

The 75 is a small luxobarge in my eyes. It's got door to door soft leather, wood, auto and a pillowy soft ride to mention but a few. It's certainly a wafter and as such it's a luxobarge.

I don't think there is a requirement that everything in here be a V8 etc. I think the 75 fits in pretty well and as for the 2litre quip I did also point out in my post it was a small luxobarge.

Neither a 75 nor a 5 series, nor a Legacy is a Luxobarge IMO and never will be.

Luxobarge to me is a minimum size of a 7-Series, A8, S-Class etc or it's something that was mega expensive when it's new such as a 911, SL, 6 Series etc.

As regards the engine, internationally the biggest segment for cars in this category are 6 cylinder engines, diesel or petrol. Sure a V8 is more desirable but a 728i is as much a Luxobarge as a 760i IMO.

The only exception I'd make for cars below that size are serious sports saloons like an M5 or a proper AMG E-Class etc.

It could also be argued that a CLS type car makes it in there as well as it's situated well above the E-Class upon which it is based, of course they don't yet find themselves under the €4000 limit just yet.

• Advertisement

I asked the very same question, check out the silver merc top of the last page. I believed it wouldnt be deemed a luxobarge but it was :pac:
    I'd hardly call it a driver focused car or a luxobarge.

A luxobarge as I've only ever heard them called was a softly sprung saloon majoring on comfort and features with the exception of RangeRovers and the likes being included due to their ride quality.

Traditionallly big Mercs, Pugs, Renaults, Citroens, Fords, Lexus and Rovers.

Big softly sprung saloons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement