Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Red Kev wrote: »
    Neither a 75 nor a 5 series, nor a Legacy is a Luxobarge IMO and never will be.

A 75 is a big soft saloon which targetted this part of the market. It was sold to people who wanted a soft riding saloon with a somewhat respectable badge (regardless of what people think of it now). So even Rover/BMW decided it belonged in that part of the market when they replaced the 800 with it.
    Luxobarge to me is a minimum size of a 7-Series, A8, S-Class etc or it's something that was mega expensive when it's new such as a 911, SL, 6 Series etc.

A 911? A sports car is now a luxobarge? I can't wait to get a luxobarge Toyota Supra so we can compare comfort.
    The only exception I'd make for cars below that size are serious sports saloons like an M5 or a proper AMG E-Class etc.
    Errrr they're all above your own engine size rule
    It could also be argued that a CLS type car makes it in there as well as it's situated well above the E-Class upon which it is based, of course they don't yet find themselves under the €4000 limit just yet.
    The CLS, by Mercs own admission, is a more driver focused saloon/coupe aimed at family buyers who want a sports car. So it's not a big soft saloon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I wouldn't consider the Merc above a barge either. It's a "sports car". A CL yes, SL no. And wouldn't the likes of M5s and R/S6s be more at home in a performance cars thread?

That said, while personally I would never buy a barge with less than 8 cylinders, I wouldn't object to a 728i in this thread. I don't like them, but it's still a barge.

Anyway, all of this is ballcocks, more barges please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

C-c-c-combo breaker.. :pac:

View2-23340171.jpeg
    €3750

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-bmw-735i-new-nct/5714506

I thought for a long time that stuff like this was slowly disappearing, the whole luxobarge thread gets rid of that idea really. Some how presumed that the scrappage scheme did away with them all, people not really realising what they had or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

2001 Merc S500 long wheel base with tax and NCT until April.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car-for-sale/5714645

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

How on earth could a wee 911 be a Luxobarge? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jesus. wrote: »

Sure it's only a beetle ;)

Some great value in that 7'er to be fair too. And it's a 735 with a 3.6 engine as opposed to a 3.0, why cant they just use proper numbering system!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Jesus. wrote: »

maybe it falls in the new mini luxobarge range :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Brasso wrote: »
    2001 Merc S500 long wheel base with tax and NCT until April.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car-for-sale/5714645

It even has "parking sencers".

If I was buying a car like that, that ad would turn me right off that seller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

So its not just me! Phew I was starting to think I was a freak.

Some of the spelling of even the most basic words in adverts is embarrassing. With a car of that stature, it just does not add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Makes you wonder about the level of care applied to the car in their period of ownership alright.
    Let's face it, you can't skimp on maintenance costs on a luxobarge. Go big or go home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Exactly, if I was in the position to be buying one I'd be looking to buy it off an old gent. Let's be honest, they'd be the most meticulous about it. If an aul lad owns an S class, he owns it because he loves it. You don't buy it off some young lad...that can't spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

View2-22828549.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-class-cl500/5613014

Always had a thing for them Mercs, even though they're less reliable than a Renault!! All yours for less than 3k. Why bother with a brand new Polo if you can have so much car for not so much cash??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sobanek wrote: »
    View2-22828549.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-class-cl500/5613014

Always had a thing for them Mercs, even though they're less reliable than a Renault!! All yours for less than 3k. Why bother with a brand new Polo if you can have so much car for not so much cash??

Then in October add the 1809e if you feel like taxing for the year :(

View2-23322437.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rolls-royce-silver-shadow/5710922

ULTIMATE LUXOBARGE. Don't have 8k that you can spend on a 760Li? Get yourself a Rolls :D
    bear1 wrote: »
    Then in October add the 1809e if you feel like taxing for the year

Still works out cheaper than paying 15k or so for the Polo. And you get air con as standard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

jimgoose wrote: »

Stunning motor. Way ahead of Merc S Class.

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag! All the way:D

Price is optimistic?

Pity it doesn't have the TV in it :) Just saw that the NCT is coming to an end as well. Still ~5K for all that Merc with tax... weren't they over 100k new?
    Thinking about it... it's still a bargain

View2-23322437.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rolls-royce-silver-shadow/5710922

ULTIMATE LUXOBARGE. Don't have 8k that you can spend on a 760Li? Get yourself a Rolls :D

Still works out cheaper than paying 15k or so for the Polo. And you get air con as standard :D

Absolute luxury. Colour not so inviting unless you wish to go into the Wedding Car business.

Better than a new Polo anyday !

Pity it doesn't have the TV in it :) Just saw that the NCT is coming to an end as well. Still ~5K for all that Merc with tax... weren't they over 100k new?
    Thinking about it... it's still a bargain

Shop around 5k could get you a later model 03 ,04 , greater reliability than earlier 00 , 01 model
    Later models may have TV's too

Shop around 5k could get you a later model 03 ,04 , greater reliability than earlier 00 , 01 model

That's the cheapest one with the TV and better reliability.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-cl-500/5655522

• Advertisement

If I move to the UK (very likely to happen in the next 2-3 years, only college is keeping me here), I'd certainly go for a CL500 or even a CL600. No ridiculous tax to pay, petrol a wee bit more expensive, insurance more reasonable. Sounds like a plan.

Apologies, you are referring to a CL 500. my mistake

I spotted a 04 S class 500 in Wexford for less than 5k.it was also silver in colour!:)

If I move to the UK (very likely to happen in the next 2-3 years, only college is keeping me here), I'd certainly go for a CL500 or even a CL600. No ridiculous tax to pay, petrol a wee bit more expensive, insurance more reasonable. Sounds like a plan.

What is the mpg on one of those cruisers?:)

You'd be lucky to hit mid 20's I'd imagine

What is the mpg on one of those cruisers?:)
    Not as high as the SPG!

More like 15 with my driving :D

Absolute luxury. Colour not so inviting unless you wish to go into the Wedding Car business.

Better than a new Polo anyday !
    Beautiful car. If only I had the cash, and hadn't spent it on,ahem..., coke and hookers ahem..., an american truck!

Mid to late teens I'd estimate unless it was on a run. These are 5 liter plus barges remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Stunning motor. Way ahead of Merc S Class.

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag! All the way:D

Price is optimistic?

I think a 4.0 L v8 with nct untl next year sold for around the 1k mark a short while ago.
    Dont think it was the same year but had a nicer spec.

Scortho wrote: »
    I think a 4.0 L v8 with nct untl next year sold for around the 1k mark a short while ago.
    Dont think it was the same year but had a nicer spec.

That seems to be the standard price region for the x300/308 on DD alright
    Interesting to see that these still seem to sell, in a country obsessed by mpg and tax to the detriment of motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

e60 535d wrote: »
    That seems to be the standard price region for the x300/308 on DD alright
    Interesting to see that these still seem to sell, in a country obsessed by mpg and tax to the detriment of motoring.

theres still some people "mad" enough to break the 2.0l mark...and get significant discounts in doing so.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement