Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your pet did to make you smile today!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Came home again and Osky missed his mammy ^^
    I had him picked up in my arms as he loves snuggles, was talking to my own mum. He looked so happy that she leaned over to give him a kiss on the head like I usually do. Well! He leaned over and rubbed his head on my arm straight after like she'd done something yucky! Like a child getting a kiss from an old aunty he didn't like! :D
    He's a bit spoiled :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Swanson knows he isn't allowed to wake me in the mornings - he just gets kicked out of the bedroom into the hall if he does.
    But he does want to play ...
    But he also wants to be comfy ...

He solves this by taking one of his mousey toys or his feather-onna-stick onto the end of my bed and "quietly" playing with it in the mornings. Then when I wake up because he's clawed my feet instead of the toy or because I have 4kg of cat jumping up and down on me, he's all "Oh.. you're awake. Cool. Food? Outside? Play? Rubs?"

Earlier tonight he was carefully playing on the couch (he really likes being comfortable while playing.)
    Every time I looked at him, he froze with a big guilty face on him. Note: His current favorite toy is a piece of plastic he found outside. I threw it in the recycling earlier and he complained til he got it back. Weirdo.
    KHH4uV4l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix spent most of the night on our bed with us and strangely he let Jazzy sleep on the bed too without squabbles and chases:) The biggest smile was when Felix walked slowly past Toby in the living room this morning without any posturing or howly growlies. It's the little things that make such a difference.

I'm going to make the most of the calm at the moment. I'm not sure how they'll react when we bring home a little feline sister for them next week :eek:

reallyrose wrote: »
    Swanson knows he isn't allowed to wake me in the mornings - he just gets kicked out of the bedroom into the hall if he does.
    But he does want to play ...
    But he also wants to be comfy ...

He solves this by taking one of his mousey toys or his feather-onna-stick onto the end of my bed and "quietly" playing with it in the mornings. Then when I wake up because he's clawed my feet instead of the toy or because I have 4kg of cat jumping up and down on me, he's all "Oh.. you're awake. Cool. Food? Outside? Play? Rubs?"

Earlier tonight he was carefully playing on the couch (he really likes being comfortable while playing.)
    Every time I looked at him, he froze with a big guilty face on him. Note: His current favorite toy is a piece of plastic he found outside. I threw it in the recycling earlier and he complained til he got it back. Weirdo.
    KHH4uV4l.jpg

The look on his face is the definition of 'looking for mischief':D

The look on his face is the definition of 'looking for mischief':D

That's basically 100% of his faces.

hvlbbZul.jpg

• Advertisement

He's a very handsome chap, beautiful eyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude savaged a half a rich tea biscuit as I was putting it in my mouth.. Never knew a cat to like rich teas!

Dude savaged a half a rich tea biscuit as I was putting it in my mouth.. Never knew a cat to like rich teas!

My cat likes beans, sweetcorn, pretzel sticks and garlic sauce*
    There's no logical pattern, I think. Other than, maybe, crunchy and/or salty things.

I tried Swanson with some banana just now. My friend has cats and said a cat eating a piece of banana is a wonderful source of entertainment.
    My guy recoiled in horror, hissed and ran away.

*Garlic is very not good for cats, along with anything in the onion family, it's basically toxic. We have to remove any garlic sauce from the house after we're done with it because Swanson will go bin diving for it.
    ~*~The more you know~*~

reallyrose wrote: »
    My cat likes beans, sweetcorn, pretzel sticks and garlic sauce*
    There's no logical pattern, I think. Other than, maybe, crunchy and/or salty things.

I tried Swanson with some banana just now. My friend has cats and said a cat eating a piece of banana is a wonderful source of entertainment.
    My guy recoiled in horror, hissed and ran away.

*Garlic is very not good for cats, along with anything in the onion family, it's basically toxic. We have to remove any garlic sauce from the house after we're done with it because Swanson will go bin diving for it.
    ~*~The more you know~*~

It's funny saying that now, my older cat Cream has funny eating habits, he'll eat pumpkin, broccoli, cabbage, any veg really! But anytime I'm eating anything I always offer them a smell to stop them staring at me, normally the older cats will smell it and turn up their noses, or if it's anything vinegary cream will puke, so I just found it extra hilarious that dude ate the biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

My cat Mylo goes crazy for olives. Treats them like catnip- rolling around on the ground with it face rubbing it and will then slowly eat it. Has a funny thing for celery too.

• Advertisement

Jazzy loves anything dairy. We'll hear cutlery rattling after dinner as he scavenges around the dirty dishes in the kitchen looking for any butter or left over buttery mash. We can't leave anything sharp on work surfaces with him:)

Toby made his second serious play for our bed today. He jumped up when I was in bed on Saturday night and when I was changing the duvet cover he did it again. We'd love him to be able to sleep on our bed, the other 2 already do, but if they catch him they'll eat him. They won't even let him in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Came back from holidays yesterday so it was the animals first night back with us last night.

Look at what they did this morning as soon as they were allowed into the bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

We planned on having pork chops tonight for dinner, so in the morning, my mother left them out in their packaging to defrost. Well, we came home to find that someone - perhaps a little blue & white kitten who loves to eat and otherwise get into everything - had clawed open the package and dragged two of the pork chops out onto the kitchen countertops. But all that work must have worn him out because there were no chunks missing or bite marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

After much much training my pup finally caught a frisbee mid air!

We planned on having pork chops tonight for dinner, so in the morning, my mother left them out in their packaging to defrost. Well, we came home to find that someone - perhaps a little blue & white kitten who loves to eat and otherwise get into everything - had clawed open the package and dragged two of the pork chops out onto the kitchen countertops. But all that work must have worn him out because there were no chunks missing or bite marks.

That happened to us before, my dad bought sea bass which is pretty expensive, and left it on the kitchen table. I could hear this rustling coming from the kitchen but presumed it was Dude digging in the sink but in fact he had gotten onto the table, taken out all the sea bass out of its wrapper and dragged 3 pieces from the kitchen to the bathroom. He didn't try eating them just dragged them all over the place! Was probably too tired to do any serious damage :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

During the heatwave in July, my friend's cat arrived home from some neighbour's BBQ with an entire side of salmon! Don't know how he even managed to get over the fence with it in his mouth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Spent 5 minutes barking at a butterfly on the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

One of my piggies, Ruby, has been getting antibiotics for the past week for an abscess on her neck and a UTI (tough break :(). Styx, the boss pig of the herd she lives with, has been grooming her neck and nuzzling Ruby every evening when she gets put back in after getting her medicine. Maybe she likes the smell, I dunno, but it's really sweet, and even sweeter when you realise that Styx's mother used to do exact the same thing when she was the boss piggy (before she went to sleep).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

killed 4 wasps and a rat
    he's a good dog

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Dog sitting for the next few days for my neighbours two, a JRT and a Yorkie. Needed to go to the shop and did not want to leave them out in the garden, managed to get the JRT in but the Yorkie was having none of it. He thought that he was actually going home and did not want to. Anyway, he did run in eventually and buried his head in the cushion, he thinks when he can't see you, you cannot see him. Was so cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Spent 5 minutes barking at a butterfly on the wall

scary things them butterflies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

My fat lump knocked the bin over in her search for parsnip peelings! Was racing around with the skins in her mouth, but the skins were slapping her in the face as she ran, so she kept getting frights!
    Currently panned out watching Cats and Dogs on tv, wrecked from her vegetable fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm not well at the moment. My two boys have sat beside me all night last night and all day today, moving quietly when I get tremors then cuddling back in when I'm ok again.

They are usually very physical with us and each other, jumping about, starting games, wrestling etc. I'm surprised at how gentle they are at the moment. Quietly following me from room to room, not taking over the whole couch as soon as I get up. They seem really concerned! It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you have 2 big block heads tilted to a worried angle looking at you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm not well at the moment. My two boys have sat beside me all night last night and all day today, moving quietly when I get tremors then cuddling back in when I'm ok again.

They are usually very physical with us and each other, jumping about, starting games, wrestling etc. I'm surprised at how gentle they are at the moment. Quietly following me from room to room, not taking over the whole couch as soon as I get up. They seem really concerned! It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you have 2 big block heads tilted to a worried angle looking at you. :D

They know, they always know. Your boys are looking after you. Hope you are feeling better really soon.

aonb wrote: »
    scary things them butterflies :D

My cat meows at insects, hoping they'll come down to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Whispered wrote: »

I had a slipped disc during the summer, and spent a week in bed. My very thick :rolleyes: youngest dog, spent the entire week on the bed with me, and like yours followed me around looking worried. So yes, they do sense when something is wrong - they're 'minding' you!

Hope you feel better soon.

We've been sitting on the floor with our new arrival Poppy to make her feel comfortable with us, not that she needs much help with that. This morning I lay on the floor beside her and she stretched her paw up to touch my nose, unfortunately she forgot to retract her claws but it was a cute pat on the nose all the same:)

I lay down beside her last night and she went asleep on my arm for a while, she's so sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Our dog Jack has decided that he likes tea. Out of your cup. We discovered this when my mother was sitting the couch with her cuppa and Jack was tapping her leg. So she moved over a bit, thinking he wanted to sit up beside her. He kept tapping her leg. So she patted the couch. It took a few minutes and she ended up ignoring him because if he really wanted to jump up on the couch, he would. Eventually he did jump up beside her and sat on her lap. Grand, thought she, how nice that he wants to hang out with me.

She goes back to watching her show and next thing, Jack has his muzzle shoved into her mug of tea and is busy slurping it down. He didn't want her. He wanted her cup of tea and sitting on her lap was the easiest way to get it as she wasn't about to leave it on the ground for him. All she could do was laugh.

That dog has so much smarts. Unfortunately he seems resigned to using them to instigate theft of foodstuffs instead of fighting crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mind was as bold as brass barking st me to hurry up while I had my dinner/watching Skyfest at a café... I heeled her for a mile home to punish her ( she HATES walking to heel) and then let her off . What did she do -gallop after a pidgeon, capture & behead it , and gallop back to me to hand it directly over for some praise & love.

Dogs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im not sure if anyone else's dog is the same. If you raise your voice or get angry they go off shivering and scared as if you're angry at them.

Anyway my cat was outside the bedroom window with another cat that must have just decided to pass by. There was a cat fight with growls, hissing and spitting. Very angry kitties.

While they were outside scraping, my dog sat up in bed shivering and scared. Over cats fighting. As if they were going to come in and get her. She's a staffy dog, far from vicious. Made me laugh.

Advertisement