Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your pet did to make you smile today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

aonb wrote: »
    four dogs on a country walk off leash this a.m -

Ancient big dog stops to wee against a fence
    <orderly queue forms>
    ancient small dog lines up to wee same place next
    young small dog lines up to wee same place next
    visitor big dog lines up to wee same place

who says dogs dont have a pecking order :D

dogs pee over each others pee so their pee is on top. The pee on top is the owner of that territory

The visitor dog is robing the fence. You should get it back by peeing after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

four dogs on a country walk off leash this a.m -

Ancient big dog stops to wee against a fence
    <orderly queue forms>
    ancient small dog lines up to wee same place next
    young small dog lines up to wee same place next
    visitor big dog lines up to wee same place

who says dogs dont have a pecking order :D

lol, mine often does that with other dogs. I call it a wee-off :) She will wee, then the other dog in the same spot, then her in the same spot again... hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jazzy came back to bed with me this morning and decided that my left boob would make an excellent pillow, once he'd snuggled into the crook of my elbow. Toby gave my hand a lick, just 1 but it's the first one so that was nice.

dogs pee over each others pee so their pee is on top. The pee on top is the owner of that territory

The visitor dog is robing the fence. You should get it back by peeing after him.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    :D

Yes, the LAST wee wins - but the ancient old dog who wee'd first had already moved off, as had the other 3, so they didnt know/care that their wee was covered - they each had 2000+ wee's to make on top of the other dogs wee before they got home, afterall!

When they poo, they do this scratching thing to cover the poo with grass/dirt - stuff flies!! - this is to hide their scent/poo from the predators/dinosaurs

When they get up on the sofa at night, they walk in circles and scratch the covers to flatten the tall grass that grew everywhere in their ancestors day

Instinct!!

(dont get me started on the instinct to hide their bones under sofas/behind doors/under rugs etc - Poo! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This is how hurling goes with my greyhound, Josie: Puck the tennis ball across the grass, Josie tears after it, passing it out where it lands. She does a flying u-turn, grabs the ball, dashes back across the green to bring it into the house for a chew in private. Get her excited again by showing her another tennis ball, and puck it. Josie tears out the door after it, passes it out and leaves it behind her to do two circuits of the acre at full gallop. Disappears behind the house in the process. She then veers into the house at full speed and retires to her bed, panting.

Show over for another day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My cat Dobby gave me cuddles in bed this morning, she is so sweet, she dives in under the duvet & cuddles up. Makes mornings better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Our puppy had a complete change of routine today as the kids are back to school and everyone was up by 7.15am, plus he was walked at 8am to the bus and back.

He has just spent the morning looking for my daughter and following me around. It didn't make me smile as he's a little sad, but I do think it's amazing how much a part of the family he has become in less than a month!

not so much "made me smile" as made me want to kill him,
    But sharpy the cat has been waking us up 3/4 times a night scratching the window to go out or come back in.
    last night he broke records, going out around 8 times. So that is 16 or so times i've had to open the window for him to go back and forth. The last excursion being from 6 to 630 am, where he came back, ate breakfast and fell asleep on top of me.

At 7am, when my alarm went off (with almost 0 sleep) I had to lift the cat off me. where upon he just slid off the bed, too exhausted to even open his eyes. After I got dressed and said my goodbyes he simply opened one eye, yawned, stretched and promptly curled up in my vacated spot. Now he will get to sleep all day on my warm bed, before planning another night of cat debauchery. The fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

^^^ :eek::eek: There is absolutely NO WAY i would entertain that carry on. Would you get a cat flap installed instead?

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    ^^^ :eek::eek: There is absolutely NO WAY i would entertain that carry on. Would you get a cat flap installed instead?

lol, cant install one. cant leave the window open.
    thinking about alternatives.

He's a persistent bugger, so he wont stop scratching until the window opens. he'll miaow and scratch for hours if you ignore him.

lol, cant install one. cant leave the window open.
    thinking about alternatives.

He's a persistent bugger, so he wont stop scratching until the window opens. he'll miaow and scratch for hours if you ignore him.

Does your window open out? ;) :pac:

Does your window open out? ;) :pac:

yes, but have to close it after him or the chill in the room give me a sore neck.

We have a vertical window we prop open during the day for him, but dont want to leave it open at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The other evening I changed my bed sheets, made the bed up nicely and then took a lovely long shower. I was really looking forward to climbing into my freshly made bed.

I walked out of the bathroom to this :rolleyes:

269359.jpg

lol, didn't see the cat for ages :D

lol, didn't see the cat for ages :D

She swears she had nothing to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The other evening I changed my bed sheets, made the bed up nicely and then took a lovely long shower. I was really looking forward to climbing into my freshly made bed.

I walked out of the bathroom to this :rolleyes:

269359.jpg

Snap! Minus the cat and just change the colour of the setters!

Trying to change the bedsheets last Saturday night and I was watching a programme on TV so kept running in during ad breaks. Got it stripped and had the new linens ready...Coco decided that the duvet was perfect without covers...

FKv0CyLl.jpg

Exasperated I ran in to watch TV for another ten minutes, so she made sure Benson came in to make the job doubly difficult. :rolleyes:

SiZaRbwl.jpg

picture quality not great, I was in a hurry to get back to the TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Clean sheets = dog magnet?!?!?!?
    I came home from being out shopping today, to find my beautifully made bed in similar state, including the young dogs stinky teddy-rag - left the door to the bedroom end of house open - doggy heaven :D

Clean sheets = dog magnet?!?!?!?
    I came home from being out shopping today, to find my beautifully made bed in similar state, including the young dogs stinky teddy-rag - left the door to the bedroom end of house open - doggy heaven :D

I always think they love the bed because even if you put clean bedclothes on, it still smells of their owner - unless you've washed the duvet and got a new mattress!

I would imagine as well that they recognise the signs. I never change the bedclothes in the morning, I always do it in the evening, maybe an hour or half an hour before we go to bed, they probably know my routine at this stage and think, "great stuff, they'll be in to bed soon":)

Snap! Minus the cat and just change the colour of the setters!

Trying to change the bedsheets last Saturday night and I was watching a programme on TV so kept running in during ad breaks. Got it stripped and had the new linens ready...Coco decided that the duvet was perfect without covers...

Exasperated I ran in to watch TV for another ten minutes, so she made sure Benson came in to make the job doubly difficult. :rolleyes:

picture quality not great, I was in a hurry to get back to the TV!

Ha, that's brilliant! Setters are such bed bugs. Mine race upstairs ahead of me as soon as they realise it's bedtime!

• Advertisement

Ha, that's brilliant! Setters are such bed bugs. Mine race upstairs ahead of me as soon as they realise it's bedtime!

They really are, and suckers for routine and habit.
    I'm always up first in the morning, I throw back the duvet and don't fix it after me, I let the dogs in and Coco gets into the middle of the bed, right up against himselfs leg. Benson walks around to my side, puts his head on the bed and gets in, right at my pillow, but only with the duvet back. If the duvet is fixed up against the pillow he looks at me to pull it back for him:o.

Same at night when they come in for their nightly cuddle, same positions and only when I come into bed and tell them that they'll get a treat for getting into their own beds do they head out to the hall. They know well that he's always in bed first and I supply the bedtime treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Not just setters! Making the bed is a challenging business when Libby the Cocker is about...

.... Hmmm, something isn't right here

52v8fjbc.jpg

Ah that's it!

11rf72x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

'Helped' me put away the shopping by bringing the bananas out to the garden..so cute! The bag is half the size of her. She tried to drag each full bag of shopping out the back door too! Between that help and the kids helping in the supermarket all I was all 'helped' out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't know about 'smile' but we've moved Isabella's (syrian hamster) cage out into our hallway to see if the quieter atmosphere helps with her behaviour (she's anxious about something according to the vet, which is why she's going bald on her arse, apparently...) and when I went to bed last night all i could hear through the door was her nomming away on her wooden ball chew thing for like, 45 minutes! It rolls away from her, so she has to chase it down again and again. She seems to have fun with it though, that's the main thing!! Here's pics from a while ago with one... It's so cute when she finally gets it in her mouth, she's all delighted with herself and carries it around like a dog!

269566.jpg

269567.jpg

I actually have a really funny video of her with it... Must dig it out and stick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We had my 92 year old grand uncle out for a visit today, he is absolutely stone mad about cats (now I know where I got it from!) it put a huge smile on my face to see him so happy with Dude, he was delighted to have a sociable cat to play with, but unfortunately he is as deaf as a post so he things dudes name is Ginny and Cream is his mother :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Bruno the egg hunter.

Bruno our 8 month old Newfoundland Collie cross found and egg in his dog kennel and didn't know what to do with it. He knew it was something good but wasn't sure if he could eat it? Our hens are partly free range and one has taken to laying in his kennel. I didn't like to take it from him and not give him a reward so I left it with him and got a hot dog sausage from indoors and made a big fuss about swapping the egg for a treat. This has happened a couple of time this week and now Bruno actively searches his kennel (its full of old blankets) for eggs. Hopefully he'll be bringing me the next one when he finds it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I was taking a nap after my night shift this morning when I was woken by my 8 month old Samoyed pawing at my toes at the end of the bed, I sat up and when she noticed me she hid her head under the end of blanket for a second and then proceeded to sneak up the bed until she popped out from under the top of blanket and kiss attacked me. Made my morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Bruno the egg hunter.

Bruno our 8 month old Newfoundland Collie cross found and egg in his dog kennel and didn't know what to do with it. He knew it was something good but wasn't sure if he could eat it? Our hens are partly free range and one has taken to laying in his kennel. I didn't like to take it from him and not give him a reward so I left it with him and got a hot dog sausage from indoors and made a big fuss about swapping the egg for a treat. This has happened a couple of time this week and now Bruno actively searches his kennel (its full of old blankets) for eggs. Hopefully he'll be bringing me the next one when he finds it :)

And it worked :D:D:D, Bruno just went out to his kennel rooted around a bit and came straight in with an egg which he happily gave up. Not a bad training result for the cost of 4 manky tinned Lild hot dog sausages. If only it was so easy to train him to get in the car and to go to the vets, so far a hot dog sasuage will get him to put his paws in the car on the seat but thats better than a week ago when he ran away when I opened the car door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper made me smile (with frustration and despair) when he stole a whole tub of butter off the bench and ate it while I ducked out to the shop to get a carton of milk!

On a happier note, he's getting really confident with his swimming and even went in after a stick and brought it back today (Malamutes are not especially known for their retrieving properties so anytime he goes after something and brings it back I'm delighted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

And it worked :D:D:D, Bruno just went out to his kennel rooted around a bit and came straight in with an egg which he happily gave up. Not a bad training result for the cost of 4 manky tinned Lild hot dog sausages. If only it was so easy to train him to get in the car and to go to the vets, so far a hot dog sasuage will get him to put his paws in the car on the seat but thats better than a week ago when he ran away when I opened the car door :)

That's so cute and so gentle with his mouth too :)

Cooper's a bit the same with the car. What I normally do is throw the treat far enough into the car that he has to get all the way in to get it. He can jump up onto the couch if he wants to so is well capable of getting into the car...it all comes down to motivation with him :pac:

Advertisement