Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your pet did to make you smile today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

shakencat wrote: »
    3. 30 am.. dogs bark weirdly

Other half jumps up - checks outside, nothing..

Dogs continue to bark so he goes downstairs to look..

There was a Man in porch!!

Turns out he was just a drunk foreign student lost!
    Dogs did well in alerting us!!

One thing.. my other half opened the front door and my Rottweiler starting wagging his tail!

Let's hope under different circumstances that a waggy tail would not be present!

Protection training is next on the list!!

I'd say your dog knew there was no threat. Don't ask me how but they have a sixth sense for that sort of thing. Funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

breadbin wrote: »
    Today my jack russell picked up a crust that fell on the floor. She wanted to go outside and bury this crust to eat at a later date but I was having none of that. She wasn't going out with the crust. So she would come up to me and sort of whine and make noises to tell me she wanted out and I stood my ground told her she wasn't go out with the crust.

She comes in again a few minutes later after looking at the door some more and same thing. Then she goes back to use the force on the door.

Next time she comes in however she has no crust so I get off the couch and go out to the door and she is looking at me and I'm looking at her and I swear she can read my mind. So I ask her, where did you put the crust? I have a look around see if it's there around the place but it's not so I let her out, she just walks out where normally she will sprint out and I look around the door and she looks again up at me.

Anyway, I go back to the sitting room and I hear her sneaking back in, I peep around the door and there she is picking the crust up from behind a pot and straight back out the door. Unreal.

BRILLIANT!

JRT 1 Human 0

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Today I got to see my lil' man not react to a black lab/mix, in the dark. That was amazing!!!!!! Instead, he met her all nice and quite. Mind you I was flat out on a footpath as I had tripped and fell so he took his lead and ran across to her as was not being held back by me.

A big shout out to the lovely lady who caught him for me and gave me the confidence I needed to get us back home;)

em_cat wrote: »
    Today I got to see my lil' man not react to a black lab/mix, in the dark. That was amazing!!!!!! Instead, he met her all nice and quite. Mind you I was flat out on a footpath as I had tripped and fell so he took his lead and ran across to her as was not being held back by me.

A big shout out to the lovely lady who caught him for me and gave me the confidence I needed to get us back home;)

Sounds like your dog DIDN'T react to the other dog because he wasn't being held back with you, on his leash. Most dogs react differently when on leash than when off leash when meeting other dogs.

Hope you didn't have a bad fall.

aonb wrote: »
    Sounds like your dog DIDN'T react to the other dog because he wasn't being held back with you, on his leash. Most dogs react differently when on leash than when off leash when meeting other dogs.

Hope you didn't have a bad fall.

Thanks, am a bit knocked by it all really but am relieved that it happened in a residential area with no traffic as I would be devastated if he got hit or ran over because I was too busy trying to put distance between him and the other dog.

Am also very grateful to the lab mix mamma who was so kind & understanding about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Im minding my parents three dogs for the weekend. Willow the Border Collie barks at me every time I sing. I have to admit she has a point, I'm a terrible singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Im minding my parents three dogs for the weekend. Willow the Border Collie barks at me every time I sing. I have to admit she has a point, I'm a terrible singer!

Who does she think she is, Simon Howl?! I'm sure you're a fab singer. :pac:

Bells21 wrote: »
    Who does she think she is, Simon Howl?! I'm sure you're a fab singer. :pac:

Haha I so wish I'd thought of that cheesy joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Not what my dog did......but this definitely made me smile.....look at the baby Jesus dog!!!

https://twitter.com/Rachforde/status/942724955959119872

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Not what my dog did......but this definitely made me smile.....look at the baby Jesus dog!!!

That is so sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Our 18 month old cat Twinkie has a super sensitive tummy and is perfectly fine when he sticks to his special dry food. However last night he decided to steal the other cat's food - a mousse from Aldi that we got for a change. Twinkie proceeded to steal it and several bouts of diarrhoea, vomiting and dry retching followed in quick succession. Poor thing was wiped out but what made us smile was an hour or two later when he hopped up onto the sofa to climb all over us and headbut us on the face :D

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Our 18 month old cat Twinkie has a super sensitive tummy and is perfectly fine when he sticks to his special dry food. However last night he decided to steal the other cat's food - a mousse from Aldi that we got for a change. Twinkie proceeded to steal it and several bouts of diarrhoea, vomiting and dry retching followed in quick succession. Poor thing was wiped out but what made us smile was an hour or two later when he hopped up onto the sofa to climb all over us and headbut us on the face :D

How could you call a MALE cat TWINKIE?!?! The shame of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

aonb wrote: »
    How could you call a MALE cat TWINKIE?!?! The shame of it :D

We call him Punk when he is being bold, which is a lot of the time. More manly? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is adorable! But looking in the twitter feed.....it isnt her picture....and it isnt based in Dublin....(looks like a dog groomers in Leicester - they even have a different version of same pic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Our lab stays indoors while we are at work. When you open the door he greets you at the door (having just gotten out of bed).
    OH was first home yesterday evening. No dog at door, no dog when called. Cat ran down the hallway and startled in the bedroom door. Here was the dog on our bed. He never ever gets up on our bed. Usually he wont jump.
    He was delighted to have discovered that the bed is super comfy and a great place to play. There goes giving him the run of the house anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh we're shocking, Milo has his own room with a double bed to sleep on...it's our 2nd ensuite room so not even a box room or anything! Spoilt isn't the word!! I'll often get in and get the alarm turned off before he's even got up out of bed!

Mr C is napping in his hidey hole i.e. soft travel bag of his own accord!!!! & he's not barking at my current playlist!!!!:D

We're in big trouble this week as we changed our bed and mattress so the bed is now very high. Hoops can just about mange to get on it still with a lot of effort but Bella tried to jump up the other day and bounced off the mattress and landed less than gracefully! Apparently it was my fault judging by the look she gave me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

My collies favorite thing in the world is to play fetch with a ball, when she thinks it's playtime she will carry the ball in her mouth and sit in front of me with it. But today when she was at this I had to run to the shops in town.

Our staircase is right beside the front door, when I returned home as soon as I came through the door her ball came bouncing down the stairs at me, I look up and she is at the top of the stairs. She basically threw the ball at me to remind me she still wanted a game, she got her wish of course

We bought the buster activity mat for ours the other day and I got a few extra of the tasks to go along with it. A few level 1s for Bella and some more difficult ones for Hoops. It's so interesting to see the different approaches they both take, Hoops-brute force and Bella digging her way through to get to the treats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cat looking at me reproachfully like this snow thing is pretty much all my doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Well I came home from work this morning, I'm on nights, and penny jrt, was waiting for me with her usual exuberance. She ran out in the sun and did her business.

I was then making a cuppa and I heard her 'meow' behind me. She is a jack Russell but lately she is foregoing the mind reading and trying to speak instead. It's awful cute. Anyway I was looking at her and I knew it had to be her water but she got my attention went out and picked up her empty water bowl and dropped it.

This isn't that uncommon, she regularly bangs her food bowl on the ground to remind you she's hungry. What was lovely though today is that when I was putting water into it she licked my hand. To say thanks presumably. Just thought it was so cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yesterday we started getting bits of snow in Galway. It was the first time my three doggies had seen it. When I took them down to the park in my estate last night there was quite a lot of it and they really didn't know what it was. Lily was trying to eat it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I think all the dogs dont have a clue!

my ralph keeps going to where the lead is and nudging it..

but when i let him out the back to pee he pees and runs in as fast as he can!!

its like he forgets whats outside every time!

Mam's dog used to hate going out when it was raining. He would go to the front door, she'd open it and he'd refuse to go out. He'd go to the back door, she'd open it and he'd refuse to go out! On and on the dance went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Bells21 wrote: »
    Mam's dog used to hate going out when it was raining. He would go to the front door, she'd open it and he'd refuse to go out. He'd go to the back door, she'd open it and he'd refuse to go out! On and on the dance went.

Sound like the cat Robert Heinlein describes in The Door into Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The things I see when I am on the phone in the kitchen.... Dog ( female) determinedly humping male cat.... Other cat outside walking vertically up a high stone wall... Yep, defying gravity...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I threw a hard boiled egg to my lab last night...

She chewed it.

I threw one to the Rottweiler, he just swallowed it whole.

I paused at confused, fear, shock.

He then just sat, wanting more :/
    How did he even taste it?
    Eventually I laughed.. thinking wtf hahaha

shakencat wrote: »
    I threw a hard boiled egg to my lab last night...

She chewed it.

I threw one to the Rottweiler, he just swallowed it whole.

I paused at confused, fear, shock.

He then just sat, wanting more :/
    How did he even taste it?
    Eventually I laughed.. thinking wtf hahaha

my dogs often eat something whole - if its a super yummy treat, do they even get to taste something if they just swallow it?? Wierd, you would think they would chew it to get more enjoyment and flavour out of it - and even prolong the experience??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I was trying to surf boards yesterday and my smallest dog Molly came and threw herself across my lap. This is code for me to give her scratches. So she snuggles in my left arm and I scratch her with my right hand. When I try to use my right hand to use the computer to scroll down a thread or open a new one, she grabs my hand with her paws and gives me a look that says "what do you think you are doing? You're supposed to be giving me attention" :pac:

Advertisement