Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your pet did to make you smile today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

My OH spotted a lovely knotted reindeer toy in town yesterday and we bought one. Came home and gave it to the dogs. The JRTx had great fun smashing it around the place and we quickly realised that it plays a lovely rendition of Jingle Bells over and over. Add to that the squeaking of the toys that the mini schnauzer brought out and we had a wonderful chorus going for 20 mins solid yest!! It might have to go 'missing'!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Laika was sleeping on the armchair with her tongue hanging out, twitching, and then finally growled herself awake.

404391.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

I have my pup for about 3-4 weeks now today she let us know she was an Andrex puppy big mess but made me smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Santa got the cat some nice tasty food as a treat. The cat then turned his nose up at his normal nuts.

He was let out yesterday to do what cats do. But he wouldn't come home. I called his name, left the back door open. Tried again at 1am, he just wasn't coming home. At 2am, I shook a pouch of nice food outside. He came home with the noise of the pouch.

Running away from home in the hope of getting nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've posted on this forum about the dog we took on from a rescue center back in July. She's had a few health issues since then which culminated in a serious stomach infection back at the start of December. We changed vets (just fancied a change, the previous vet was a bit long in the tooth and we felt a bit dismissive of certain things) and between them and an emergency overnight vet center they got to the root cause of. Turns out she more than likely had been dealing with this for a good few weeks, if not months.

Literally within the space of a week, all the lethargy had gone from her, her appetite had shot up and she's brilliant. When we got her she was overweight and under excercised and no matter what we tried we just thought she was set in those ways of lagging behind you on walks. Now she bolts around everywhere, sprints to catch up (she's a Westie so could lose weeks in a smell) and seems a much happier, settled and content dog.

She still sleeps like bejaysus and refuses to move from her laidback ways of not caring a jot about anything unless it's cuddles, food or a walk. We're absolutely delighted.

We'd also read that it can talk rescue dogs up to 6 months to finally settle into the new home, we thought that was wrong and she seemed to be fine, but seeing her know I think that wasn't far off at all.

• Advertisement

Not my pet but my friend visited today with her rescue lurcher/greyhound. I've only ever had small dogs so safely assumed that our dogs food would be off limits on top of the kitchen counter. Lesson learned!!!

I found the cat in my room concentrating very hard on something. He knocked over my box of tampons and he was just making sure they didn't move.

I love that silly cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I received some new clothes I purchased online today. I began trying them on and when I came back from trying on the second dress, I found my lovely little kitty sitting on the first dress I had tried on. I can't keep any clothes in this house free from cat hair for even an hour! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I received some new clothes I purchased online today. I began trying them on and when I came back from trying on the second dress, I found my lovely little kitty sitting on the first dress I had tried on. I can't keep any clothes in this house free from cat hair for even an hour! :D
    Reminds me of when I went to Portugal for work for a few weeks to learn a specific technique. I borrowed a book off my mum and found a few dog hairs between the pages. It made me laugh that they made it so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭joey100

Kona is finally starting to get used to walking on the lead. It's still a two person job but there are good signs. That and she is starting to get the hang of some of the commands we have been trying to teach her, she will wait crossing the road and if there is people walking by, harder to get her to respond when other dogs are around but we are getting there!

• Advertisement

Not really something my pet did, more like something I did. I got a tattoo today of my dog, a happy staffy smile. It's still covered so I don't have a picture yet but I love that dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I hope you are really happy with your tattoo.
    I know what you mean, my dog is so amazing also, and her very presence brings a smile to my face.
    Her sloppy licks mean the world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Kitten not playing with expensive toys but has spent last hour running with, pouncing on and swatting a raw piece of fusilli pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Kitten not playing with expensive toys but has spent last hour running with, pouncing on and swatting a raw piece of fusilli pasta

Typical!
    My cat has several toys that were bought for her when she first arrived - our first cat, got bought EVERYTHING :rolleyes: All ignored - only things she might deign to play with = screwed up little ball of newspaper, and a piece of string :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

IvySlayer wrote: »

My cat loves a piece of raw spaghetti :) I also bought her a variety of toys when I got her. Bought two different sized toys that she could cuddle with that had catnip in them. Never once looked at them :pac: Turns out she doesn't care for catnip at all. In fact her favourite toy of all are my legs... :)

Bit of a strange one today, but she's off to get spayed. She's had a few tummy issues in the 6 months we've had her, but that's on the mend and the vet thinks spaying her will more than likely reduce this to zero.

Took her out for her pre vet walk (and usual morning walk), have to smile at her complete unknowing of an operation ahead of her. Her "poo dance" is also brilliant, she celebrates doing a poo for some reason!

Every morning when I'm getting the dog nuts out, the cat races over for one. Whether he's eating his own breakfast or fast asleep or in another room, he'll come running for his nut.
    It's not even to eat it. He just likes to bat it around the kitchen floor for a few minutes. Then he abandons it in a corner somewhere for a delighted dog to find later on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My GSD was up relaxing in my room, I had the door shut because I'm forever cold. He started poking the door handle asking to go downstairs (as he does) and goes to the water dish... except he doesn't drink anything. Just sits there, glancing at the half full dish then back at me. I asked him what did he want... and he sat down, in front of the dish.

My boy was taught "sit to say please", so when he sits in front of something, he's essentially requesting something... What was he requesting? Fresh water from the tap. This is a new thing for him, usually any water will do, now he's making requests for completely fresh water... jeeeeez. :P

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    My GSD was up relaxing in my room, I had the door shut because I'm forever cold. He started poking the door handle asking to go downstairs (as he does) and goes to the water dish... except he doesn't drink anything. Just sits there, glancing at the half full dish then back at me. I asked him what did he want... and he sat down, in front of the dish.

My boy was taught "sit to say please", so when he sits in front of something, he's essentially requesting something... What was he requesting? Fresh water from the tap. This is a new thing for him, usually any water will do, now he's making requests for completely fresh water... jeeeeez. :P

Oh yeah, they get fierce notions about the freshness of their water. Our one, will eat some food and then drink the water, if a bit of food drops in then it's "dirty". Of course this theory doesn't follow outside when it comes to drinking puddle water!!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Oh yeah, they get fierce notions about the freshness of their water. Our one, will eat some food and then drink the water, if a bit of food drops in then it's "dirty". Of course this theory doesn't follow outside when it comes to drinking puddle water!!

Haha so true.

Oh there's a speck of something floating in my water, I can't possibly drink that.
    Puddle full of mud and petrol?! Let me at it.

Nuts on their own? Where's my chicken or sardines?! I don't think so!
    Oooh a lump of soggy bread that fell from a bird's mouth into the remnants of another dogs poop? Deeelicious!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Our newly neutered (since Friday) 8 month old male kitten is actively requesting cuddles since we took him home from the vets on Friday evening :) He is also drinking water for the first time as he was subsiding on wet food but couldn't figure out the water until the vets told us he had gingivitis and a shot of antibiotics seems to have sorted him out - smiles all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

my guys havent left my bed since i came home sick from work yesterday!!

Spent hours dehydrating sweet potato at the weekend for the dogs as a treat. Are they grateful? Of course not!!! You would think that I was trying to poison them!!! But apparently they are great fun to bat around the place.

Bells21 wrote: »
    Spent hours dehydrating sweet potato at the weekend for the dogs as a treat. Are they grateful? Of course not!!! You would think that I was trying to poison them!!! But apparently they are great fun to bat around the place.

Meanwhile, one of my dog's repeatedly tries to eat the freckle on my other half's belly whenever he sees it...

Dogs are odd.

VonVix wrote:
    Meanwhile, one of my dog's repeatedly tries to eat the freckle on my other half's belly whenever he sees it...

That made me laugh out loud, can just imagine them thinking why can't I get that chocolate chip!!

Bells21 wrote: »
    That made me laugh out loud, can just imagine them thinking why can't I get that chocolate chip!!

Luckily he is very gentle and doesn't use his teeth. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not to to put a damper on things, but I'd get a dermatologist to take a look at that freckle sooner rather than later... :/

On happier things: when the chickens hear me move about the house, they come right up and start making a long screechy sound, and they don't stop until I bring out some treats of various description for them. The funny thing is that, as soon as I open the door or the windows to give them said treats, the trees around are suddenly all aflutter with blackbirds, tits of various descriptions, some collared doves, a couple of robins and even a wren, and as soon as I go back in they dive in and 'fight' the chickens for the feed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

In the last 48 hours, our foster puppy as somehow learnt how to jump the baby gate on the stairs... AND can jump on the bed.

shes so tiny!
    how can she do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭joey100

First session of dog training last night. Went better than I thought, looks like the work we are doing with her is working. Still wants to play with other dogs the whole time but her recall off the lead was good and she beat a retriever in a race to the owner. Was wiped out after it too!

• Advertisement

As above, post spay operation for our mutt, so she's on reduced activity until Wednesday (10 days pre op). She's visibly getting restless at the lack of long walks, so she's taken to sprinting around the park, daring us for a chase etc. We have to bring her back onto the lead though to ensure all is fine and restrain her a little but she'll be absolutely fit to burst by the time she gets her Thursday evening walk, she might actually explode on her weekend hike!

Advertisement