Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your pet did to make you smile today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

My 13 and 15 week old kittens (Zaza and Twinkie) - from 2 stray mammy cats have taken to chilling (not literally) on top of the microwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

jenn1984 wrote:
    My 13 and 15 week old kittens (Zaza and Twinkie) - from 2 stray mammy cats have taken to chilling (not literally) on top of the microwave!

That is adorable x

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

It always amazes me how Elly can go from sprawled out snoring to bouncy play with me in the time it takes me to open my eyes in a morning!!

Also let the chickens out this morning, usually I pull the run away and walk to the coop and open the door, they are already in run because they push open the nest box door, this is thentheir cue to then rush past me out into garden. Anyway this morning half asleep I forget to open coop door and head inside.
    2 mins later I'm making coffee and look out of the window and see the chucks still in coop running up and down it trying to get out.
    Bear in mind that there is a good 2foot gap now for them to get out of. 3 of them then manage to work it out but the 4th is panicking because she can't work it out. Each time she runs to literally inches away from the gap in the run but then heads back the opposite direction. Took her a good min after the others came out!!

They obviously need to see me walking through the gap to realise it's open😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

sometimes I wonder if hens have any brain at all!! They are such creatures of habit. Then it only takes an instance or two of change, and the habit is easily broken :)

Any broody hens out there?!

Theres definitely a feeling of autumn in the air this morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

If you're leaving, I'm coming too!

2n87qlw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Senecio wrote: »

Haha, Sammy did that to me too when I was packing for my summer hols! By the time I fetched the camera, though, he had scampered off (leaving a nice pile of cat hair on my clean folded clothes :D)

Senecio wrote: »

OMG do you really think he thought that?!?!?!?
    My dogs go into an instant decline when they see the wheelie suitcases come out of storage

(ps seriously cute hairy terrier - my favourite!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

A few weeks ago, I noticed a family of cats that are living in an small abandoned area on my way home from work. There is definitely three possibly one or two more, one of which is an adolescent. The adolescent caught my eye one evening and started meowing at me. There is a shop close by, so with that little meow tugging at my heartstrings, I went in and bought a pouch of whiskas. He devoured it. I tried to give some to a mostly black adult who was there too but he just kept hissing at me.

Next day, I see the black adult again. Non-stop hissing. I still went to the shop and bought him a pouch nevertheless. Hissing again, even as I was pouring it out. I've kept up the routine of buying a couple of pouches on my way home.

Following week: more hissing from black cat

Following week: hissing stopped but still apprehensive as I poured the food.

Following week: he started tentatively walking toward me I poured the food.

This evening: He literally sprinted to me and rubbed his head on my leg as I was giving him his food.

Absolutely nothing beats the feeling of gaining an animal's trust :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

aonb wrote: »
    OMG do you really think he thought that?!?!?!?
    My dogs go into an instant decline when they see the wheelie suitcases come out of storage

(ps seriously cute hairy terrier - my favourite!)

I know he thinks that.

2 years ago I was working on a project in Tokyo. I spent 6 months flying 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I think it was my 3rd trip when he started it. It's become a routine now, almost a game.

He's almost 13 now, going a little deaf and his eyesight isn't the best. If he wants to play a game like this I'll happily participate until he no longer has the strength to jump in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We have a morning routine where my partner gets up, doggy gets out of bed and then runs upstairs to wake me up. Normally tries a good solid lick to the face for this but I've perfected my avoidance techniques (face planted in pillow) so he's started just planting a cold wet nose on the back of my neck. Super unpleasant but his ingenuity makes me smile :)

Then we go meet his best friend in the park for 15 & they knock 7 bells out of each other. It's lovely, we could sell tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I hate leaving my dog and cat every week for college! Breaks my heart :(
    I love coming down early in the morning and seeing them cuddled up together, she is tiny and he is big, and they just look adorable! Usually my cat will get up straight away but my dog doesn't get up if it's too early for him until he is ready for his breakfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dog is fed, walked, watered and has just finished a kong full of peanut butter. Not a care in the world but lying on the couch looking at me and squeaking piteously. Then gets up, trots across to my fiancé over the other side of the room still crying/squeaking and staring at me. What's wrong? I'm sitting in the 'wrong' chair. The minute I get up and move to the couch it's all smiles and happiness in his mad little world. If one of us does something so crass as to sit in the other room to work at the table he'll come stand with 2 paws on your leg and eyeball you to get the point of 'you don't sit here!' across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Just washed both our dogs who are now zooming around our house at serious speed. Have just opened the door to let them run it off in the garden....I may be here for a while ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

had a huge laugh at my boy when he watched 2 massive deer bucks crossing the land though the horses without a care in the world.He usually would bark at them but those 2 were so big he just shut up and just stood and stared.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

My dog looking at me suspiciously when he didn't find his ball where he left it before going outside. Quite right too as I had hid it so that he could run off some energy trying to find it. Cue five minutes of crazy sniffing and throwing cushions off sofa etc, before finding it inside a paper bag (I get ever more inventive to throw him off).

image.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

had another full nights sleep with Charlie (14 week old cavalier King Charles Spaniel) when i awoke at 5am he sat up, waited for me to get myself washed / dressed. waits with wagging tail for breakfast and sat on my lap for 20 mins until i went for the bus. Why did he make me smile? His little chest infection seems to be nearly gone as no crackling sound from his breathing.... love it and lets hope he remains in good health from here on in :D

398220.png

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

early Saturday evening my two fur babies were out in the back garden, one of my neighbours had one of those things you flick up in the air and it lights up, (you see them selling them in spain etc... not exactly sure what it is) anyways the neighbours were playing with this lighty up thing flicking it in the air and my youngest fur baby spots it, lets out a little cry and runs as fast as her legs could carry her, back into the kitchen, straight over to me for me to pick her up and cuddles into me.. ahhh was so cute made me smile so much!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's fair to say our rescue has a fondness for my wife, most animals (and people do!) but every now and then she lets her guard down with me and betrays her stoic nature. She gave me a lick on the nose last week which shocked even the wife.
    Having done a bit of travel over the last 3 weeks too she parks herself by my side of the bed the night I'm back and watches me closely.

She was previously owned by a lady and it was the 2 of them, so I can get over the grá for women that she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Didn't do any one thing in particular, but we have Sooty 2 years today. Never realised how attached we would become!

We were discussing getting a dog & Mrs LCD wasn't overly keen. I found him on adverts, a lady was moving to a new apartment & dogs weren't allowed. We went to meet her one day & when Mrs LCD found out his name was Sooty, which was the name of her childhood dog, she was in love.

I remember the day he arrived, my 2 nieces were staying over so was a lot of noise in the house. Sooty was so nervous & afraid & my wife went into "mother" mode straight away. Next morning we went for a walk to the beach. He ate his breakfast & went for a poo while out for a walk. As he squatted I remember thinking "if he's pooing & eating he must be ok".

All brilliant ever since, I hope. He is so quiet I never know if he is happy or not. He gets walked at least twice every day & to see how excited he gets for EVERY single walk warms my heart. On Sundays we usually take him somewhere & when in the back of the van he is quite agitated. Let him in the front & he calms right down, though I know it isn't safe for him there.

Last night one of my kittens (Zaza) proceeded to jump up on the back of the sofa and sniffed my hair. He then thoroughly cleaned my hair from the ponytail downwards - kind of gross but really cute at the same time :)

• Advertisement

LCD wrote: »
    Didn't do any one thing in particular, but we have Sooty 2 years today. Never realised how attached we would become!

We were discussing getting a dog & Mrs LCD wasn't overly keen. I found him on adverts, a lady was moving to a new apartment & dogs weren't allowed. We went to meet her one day & when Mrs LCD found out his name was Sooty, which was the name of her childhood dog, she was in love.

I remember the day he arrived, my 2 nieces were staying over so was a lot of noise in the house. Sooty was so nervous & afraid & my wife went into "mother" mode straight away. Next morning we went for a walk to the beach. He ate his breakfast & went for a poo while out for a walk. As he squatted I remember thinking "if he's pooing & eating he must be ok".

All brilliant ever since, I hope. He is so quiet I never know if he is happy or not. He gets walked at least twice every day & to see how excited he gets for EVERY single walk warms my heart. On Sundays we usually take him somewhere & when in the back of the van he is quite agitated. Let him in the front & he calms right down, though I know it isn't safe for him there.

Oh he's happy all right!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I have a lovely dog for a long time now. About 11 and have years.

A few years ago she began to lick me obsessively. She would lick me for ages. Neck, face, arms - lick, lick, lick. I don't find it annoying. It's so cute and I like it. She could be very obsessive about it too. Like if I lie down with her, she would stand over me.

Signs of aging is showing now and it hit me hard.

Tonight I was putting her to bed and she started the bedtime licking which isn't unusual. It was on and on and on and on. Again, that's not unusual. Eventually I pulled away laughing and told her that this licking is borderline abuse and if she was a man, he'd be wearing a black eye by now. She looked at me sideways and let out a little whine nearly as if she knew what I was saying.

Recently she was diagnosed with arthritis. I massaged her legs this morning before she rose for the day. I wish I took a picture of her. On her back with her four legs up in the air, head back, mouth open, looking very relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Peach climbed up on my lap this evening, crawled up along my stomach and chest, licked my cheek, then settled back down onto my lap. She's become such an affectionate little cat lately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Last night one of my kittens (Zaza) proceeded to jump up on the back of the sofa and sniffed my hair. He then thoroughly cleaned my hair from the ponytail downwards - kind of gross but really cute at the same time :)
    Some of my cockatiels like to fly onto my head and groom my hair!

My dog always stays with me when I'm feeling unwell. She'll spend the day in bed with me, only leaving me for brief intervals to eat or pee! I hate being alone when I'm ill so it's brilliant. Today I've hurt my back pretty badly and am on bedrest. Unfortunately when my dog knows I'm unwell she likes to lie on top of me and often tries to lick me back to health. Couldn't risk her hurting me so she's not allowed in the room today :(
    However, very unexpectedly, my cat has not left my side. Purring and stroking my hand with his little paw.
    I feel so lucky to have such loving pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Our landlord came around and cut the grass today. He brings the lawnmower in through the front door and through the house and out the back.

We put the cat out when he came because he doesn't know that there is a cat that lives in the house.

As the landlord was finishing up, he brought the lawnmower through the back door and out the front. The cat legged it into the house through the opened back door. We told him he was a friendly neighbour's cat that comes in for treats. Just comes racing in as if he owned the place. He really does own the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Not exactly something that happened today but still gave me a smile as a reminder of happier times :)

Earlier in the year we had Dude entered in a TICA cat show, which he did brilliantly in. It was his first show with that organisation and he managed to get made up to his triple grand master award. (Master would be like champion in the pedigree world, then double, triple etc depending on points).
    As well as that, he earned enough points to just about get on the table as the 25th best house hold pet cat in the Western Europe region.
    There was a big awards ceremony on over in England for all the regional awards not too long after he passed away and for obvious reasons I didn't feel up to going to it. But thanks to another lovely kind person who was going over to get her own cats awards, she collected Dude's for me and gave them to me yesterday at the pet expo.
    It just made my day, they're so beautiful! The plaque is on the mantelpiece now beside his casket :)

Last night our 5 month old kitten Zaza (named after French footballer Simone Zaza during the world cup) jumped onto the back of the sofa and put his front two paws on to my shoulder. When I looked around at him he proceeded to softly head butt me in the face over and over - when he got bored of that, he jumped down and lay beside me on the sofa on his back which usually means "Give me a 5 minute belly rub HUMAN!" - when I leaned down to him, he started pawing me in the face (no claws). It was just cuteness overload!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now, that's what I call love! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Had a bit of a mini meltdown last night, my girl gets off her bed, comes over to me and curls up on my lap and rests her head against me. awh made me smile she knew just what to do. :-)

Advertisement