Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hit (RTE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

A ringing endorsement for the competition there by Brian Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Did Brian Kennedy say he was looking for 'a grower not a shower' at the beginning of the programme or did I just imagine that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

'Try' is a pretty good song but Brian Kennedys weak falsetto didn't give it the umph it needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Two decent songs in the end. I am surprised Ryan O'Shaughnessy didn't have a big hit after his Britain's Got Talent appearances.

Bit of a Spinal Tap moment when Brian Kennedy asked the female songwriter to change the lyrics of the chorus of her song from "you're no good to me" to "you're so good to me".

She was not impressed, hardly surprising when she had repeatedly said it was very personal to her.

I thought Ryan did a good job with the song, very easy to listen to. Brian's song sounds way too similar to the original, I thought he would try and do something different with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's an S missing in the title of this show - when it comes to the presentation. Ryan actually made that song sound good and although I find Mr Kennedy terribly ott at the best of times he did have a point about the lack of a decent choice of song - however his miming of his eventual choice was pretty dire.

Pretzill wrote: »
    There's an S missing in the title of this show - when it comes to the presentation. Ryan actually made that song sound good and although I find Mr Kennedy terribly ott at the best of times he did have a point about the lack of a decent choice of song - however his miming of his eventual choice was pretty dire.

That was a live show tonight AFAIK so the lead vocals were live. I do agree with you though that the choice of songs were mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Love Ryan's song, pretty clear it will do better than Brian Kennedy's one.

CFlat wrote: »
    That was a live show tonight AFAIK so the lead vocals were live. I do agree with you though that the choice of songs were mediocre.
    It certainly was live hence the unedited bottom in 2fms OB at the end but Kennedy was miming - It can be done ;)

It certainly was live hence the unedited bottom in 2fms OB at the end but Kennedy was miming - It can be done ;)

Is nothing sacred anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

How do you know he was miming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Also. The way these songs win or whatever is by people buying the songs so they get in the charts? Would people actually buy this sh1t?

I suppose last weeks ones only stated in the top ten for a week and then completely disappeared.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Well let's say Cflat it looked to me he was miming. In fact to me he seemed unimpressed throughout the show. He seemed uncomfortable with it. I remember Brian Kennedy when he had real kudos in the music industry sadly, he seems to be doing these reality things for a liitle bit of celebrity nowadays - bad move for him I feel.

Neeson wrote: »
    How do you know he was miming?

By watching his vocal - could be my telly is out of sync though it sounded dodgy to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

What an odd show. Ryan O'Shaughnessy, not long off the reality show conveyor belt himself. And Brian Kennedy who hasn't had a 'hit' in years. Oh starry night!

At least there was only one dickie bow this week.

By watching his vocal - could be my telly is out of sync though it sounded dodgy to me ;)

Okay Pretzill you had me sucked in there for a bit but I'm fairly sure that the vocals of Kennedy and O' Shaughnessy's were live tonight.

Okay Pretzill you had me sucked in there for a bit but I'm fairly sure that the vocals of Kennedy and O' Shaughnessy's were live tonight.

I'm fairly surely one of those were, makes no odds really either way Kennedy hadn't his heart in the song choice. Btw I wasn't trying to suck you in (what an odd thing to say) It was quite obvious to me that BK was miming the song but it could've been my sky - I wasn't there so I can't say for sure just experience - Have you ever watched Top of the Pops in its miming era? Why would this bother you? Lots do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Brian Kennedy certainly seemed to be school disco, Natalie Simpson style miming - But who cares - The real point is that the man that put the message in the box and the put that same box (presumably of hair products) into his car and then went and oh ya drove that car all round da world - right up until the point that he got heard - Well he was ironically disappointed with the standard :-O

- He was an utter tool as a judge on that other programme as well btw - all the credibility, decency and competence of the local young offender.....

I'm fairly surely one of those were, makes no odds really either way Kennedy hadn't his heart in the song choice. Btw I wasn't trying to suck you in (what an odd thing to say) It was quite obvious to me that BK was miming the song but it could've been my sky - I wasn't there so I can't say for sure just experience - Have you ever watched Top of the Pops in its miming era? Why would this bother you? Lots do it.

Hi Pretzill. Apologies, but I misinterpreted an earlier post you had. And yes I remember TOTPs and most acts mimed but it wasn't a live show. The Hit is supposed to be live. That's why I was wondering why some people were questioning whether BK was singing live. I thought he was but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I've worked in the industry for quite a while, It didn't seem to me as if Brian was lip singing, his falsetto was poor.. He did my head in tonight, so annoying! Ryan's song was good but the blonde hair girl from Limerick had the better song, shame.

• Advertisement

Hi Pretzill. Apologies, but I misinterpreted an earlier post you had. And yes I remember TOTPs and most acts mimed but it wasn't a live show. The Hit is supposed to be live. That's why I was wondering why some people were questioning whether BK was singing live. I thought he was but I could be wrong.
    No apologies needed Cflat ;) - But being live and miming happens - sure there was a certain girl group back in the day accused of miming at a concert. What has being live got to do with syncing to a track?

yoyojc wrote: »
    I've worked in the industry for quite a while, It didn't seem to me as if Brian was lip singing, his falsetto was poor.. He did my head in tonight, so annoying! Ryan's song was good but the blonde hair girl from Limerick had the better song, shame.
    It's called lip syncing - what industry have you worked in? Music? TV? Concert promotion?

yoyojc wrote: »

You're right yoyojc. I mentioned his falsetto was very weak earlier in this thread and I don't know why he persists with it because he has a very fine full voice where he can also sing those notes. It appeared to me that he wasnt interested in the whole thing, it even came across when he was trying to decide which two songs he was going to pick. BTW I'm not having a go a BK, he is a great singer and musician.

No apologies needed Cflat ;) - But being live and miming happens - sure there was a certain girl group back in the day accused of miming at a concert. What has being live got to do with syncing to a track?

They must have gotten a Masterclass off Milli Vanilla:)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Skid X wrote: »
    Don't forget Johnny Logan is making his long awaited Irish comeback on this show in two weeks time - happy days!!

Is he back from Oslo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Nicer selection of songs tonight I think... love Duke Special's voice

That song Johnny Logan just locked in (song number 1) reminds me of 'impossible' by James Arthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg Johnny Logan's pants!!!

I liked song number 1, some good passion in it. Not sure Johnny Logan is suited to it at all though.

• Advertisement

It's a pity we don't hear more from Steve Lillywhite on this show. He has worked with some huge names (and still does).

It's great to have him involved but he barely gets to say a sentence about each song. It would be great if he found a song he really liked and got an international singer to record it (after the show).

Advertisement