Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hit (RTE)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Aww Steve is so nice :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Doncha just love Nicky's Dublin/American accent!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Just caught the bit there where they told yer man that they couldn't improve upon his song. Nice excuse :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

amdublin wrote: »
    Doncha just love Nicky's Dublin/American accent!!! :confused:

Aidan Power is well able to do this by himself, Nicky could go home to whatever part of the Atlantic he hangs out in these days!

The last time I saw Clare from the FBD ad, she was Olga in Fair City. For a Russian, she's got a great Dublin accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

No Julie no, that sounds awful :(

I quite like that song Julie is singing.

Might need a few listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Oh Julie that was very strange... I was waiting for yer man Tommy to go 'no, stop, you've ruined it!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Why is Julie Feeney hurting music??? :(

Fair play to Nicky Byrne. I didn't think he was capable of walking and talking at the same time while reading from a moving autocue.

• Advertisement

"Brian Kennedy knows all about having hits with his own songs"

So they played a clip of his World Party cover to illustrate that. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The quiet desperation of the artists and the writers coupled with the ludicrous format the cheesy presentation and the pretence that this is an event that anyone apart from parents and neighbours care about, is almost making me sad.

None of this could, would or should happen but for the desperation of all the participants as well as the lack of imagination on behalf of Rte.

The whole process is just designed to be disposable. The artistic element of the programme such as it is barely registered.

It's just another horrible take on the dream making /breaking routine. No good can come of it save for a rise in pizza awareness.

Grim as hell.

Hugh Grant could have been an epic 80s pop star.

Music and Lyrics give us a brief glimpse of what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Haha where do I start. First of all the concept is as ridiculous as the oversized clown dicky bows worn by the presenters.

Then comes the show. people write songs for stars like Britney spears in the knowledge that they will make a lot of money from royalties. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together knows in the case of Rte the hit, this will not happen.

So Rte get these song writers to pitch their songs to two nobody hacks to butcher their songs :D I was left in awe at how much they ruined the clearly doped up contestants songs. And then people are expected to Download these molested melodies.

Tune in next week when Brian kennedy ear rapes some poor desperate upstart, turning any credibility of the song into another regurgitated banal mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Editing was attricious, I bet that Steve/Julie werent that ignorant leaving the rooms without so much as a gracious nod or smile etc.

Presenters - No Holly Willowby (sp?), no Tess Daly, no Davina, not at all, lets flake out two 70s plastique miniatures who look like they may die of little preened man hairspray-itis!

I usually have no time for product placement on TV but I thought the yellow Jelly Tot on Julies head was very discreet - Maybe she'll spend the cheque on a pair of shoes she can actually walk in and wander off to find a mirror.

Show was as clunky as a sack of rocks, hope it sinks as fast, a slow death would....... Oh God, we're gonna get the slow death to sell Persil at the ad breaks aren't we!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

It was embarrassing. And what that "superstar" woman what's her face did to that guys song, god damn strange, that horrific noise will haunt my dreams. Next they will have Shane lynchs sisters on telling some poor smo they need to change their lyrics like they are some kind of authority on talent.

And next week Brian Kennedy, like rumple stilskin out to steal some artists first born in exchange for 15 min on rte. It's making me throw up in my mouth some.

Why didn't I go out tonight ,now I feel dirty.

I used to work with the band that last years winners played in,it was the song that Royseven covered .

They said it was good exposure,you make some contacts in the business and get your name out there in the industry but your not going to living the high life and having cocaine and hookers every morning with your cornflakes cos of it.

In Fairness, Its a cheap program for RTE to make and its a prime time slot filled so they are happy out. The songwriters get some exposure (which is a tough thing to get in this country if your an unsigned act without management and PR behind you and also get afew quid... not much but enough to get a 3 in 1 on the way home) so in a way its kinda a win win for the song writers as its something great that they can use it to promote themselves and they make some contacts in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

didn't watch it, who chooses the winners each week?

didn't watch it, who chooses the winners each week?

Each artist picks 2 songs then records one of the tracks and you dont know who's track they picked until they start playing it "live" (ahem) so i guess that would be classed as "winning". Just found out a mate of mine's track got picked for the show. Not sure when he is on but it looks like i'm going to have to keep watching this

Skid X wrote: »
    Hugh Grant could have been an epic 80s pop star.

Music and Lyrics give us a brief glimpse of what might have been.

Omg! Pop went my heaaaarttt!

Amazing :)

• Advertisement

so two songs one for the stunning guy and one for julie feeney are picked each week and then end of 6 weeks they have 6 songs each to sing to see who wins overall?, is there home voting then?

so two songs one for the stunning guy and one for julie feeney are picked each week and then end of 6 weeks they have 6 songs each to sing to see who wins overall?, is there home voting then?

No, two artists each week. They each pick two songs out of six, before choosing their favourite from their final two, which they record and is made available to download.

So each artist has one song released. Whichever of the two songs sells most goes to the final.
    The final line-up of artists taking part in RTÉ One's The Hit has been announced and includes Johnny Logan, Finbar Furey and Mundy.

The series begins on Friday, July 26 on RTÉ One and will see songwriters showcasing their songs to established artists. The artists will then battle one another to find the perfect song they can turn in a hit.

The artists will battle it out as follows:

Episode one, 26 July: The Stunning and Julie Feeney
    Episode two, 2 August: Brian Kennedy and Ryan O'Shaughnessy
    Episode three, 9 August: Johnny Logan and Duke Special
    Episode four, 16 August: Samantha Mumba and Republic of Loose
    Episode five, 23 August: Mundy and Finbar Furey

For the grand finale of the series the five successful artists will return to perform their song live in the O2 with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra with the viewers deciding who has the ultimate hit.

how much are the songs, how many times can you buy a copy?

maybe this has always been the way with music, and especially the song competition shows but they are just creating their own markets, showing the songs on tv get them a following and they they are bought to try and win the competition, its all bit too circular.

how much are the songs, how many times can you buy a copy?

maybe this has always been the way with music, and especially the song competition shows but they are just creating their own markets, showing the songs on tv get them a following and they they are bought to try and win the competition, its all bit too circular.

It's all on the website ...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/voting/thehitdownload.html

amdublin wrote: »
    Omg! Pop went my heaaaarttt!

Amazing :)

Damn right amdub !, a modern classic :)

Don't forget Johnny Logan is making his long awaited Irish comeback on this show in two weeks time - happy days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

What UK programme is this a version of !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

What UK programme is this a version of !!

Hate to say this, BuilderPlumber, but you're kind of jumping the gun there... :o:D

This is very much an Irish format. Remember last year's Format Farm? :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Since when did that child from Fair City become an established artist? Isn't he just a talent show reject, multiples times at that?

The Irish Charts have been released.

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp

The Stunning entered at number 6 with 'Run and Hide'

Julie Feeney got to number 9 with 'New Tattoo'

The Stunning will progress to the Final. I think the producers of The Hit will be happy with that, both songs in the Top 10.

The Hit returns tonight at 9.35 - Ryan O'Shaughnessy takes on his former mentor on The Voice of Ireland, Brian Kennedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Tuning in for the first time, because I was curious.

Nicky Byrne has all the charisma of a blow up doll. Good looking chap though. Kinda seems like he's struggling to read and emote.

The format is peculiar, to say the least. The running into the sliding door pitching rooms...odd. I don't know who thought this show was a good idea. Not even bad enough to be a guilty pleasure.

Advertisement