Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The fish shop on Henry street seemed to be doing something with the space Gourmet Tart were for a bit now, apparently they're opening a Fish & Chip shop, this could be very good indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

The House Hotel has also closed.

There's a sign in window closed for renovations.

Yet all staff were asked to leave yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The House Hotel was put into liquidation yesterday, with guests still arriving.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The House Hotel was put into liquidation yesterday, with guests still arriving.

Classy work on the part of the receivers.

Prob be put up for sale shortly. Any word on whether the staff will have any issues re: pay?

Shows the stupidity to do this just as the summer season kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm 90% sure it has new owners already and will reopen on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Wonder if they'll rehire the old staff are was the liquidation done to clear the books so to speak?

Also any idea who the new owners are?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The bottom of the signpost at Galway Retail Park which used to have an ATM in it has been turned into as a coffee / icecream / sandwich kiosk. Hard to see that they'll get enough business there, but fair play to someone for trying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The bottom of the signpost at Galway Retail Park which used to have an ATM in it has been turned into as a coffee / icecream / sandwich kiosk. Hard to see that they'll get enough business there, but fair play to someone for trying.
    But it's tiny!

snubbleste wrote: »
    But it's tiny!

Yes, kiosk's usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very odd location alright, serving people who cant be bothered going down to the shopping centre or up to Eyre Square? Where would you sit with your sandwich, on the cinema steps? You'd think with all the empty units around they would have got something better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Hope they do well but annoying now there is only one ATM between Retail Park and Shopping center now

fifib wrote: »
    Hope they do well but annoying now there is only one ATM between Retail Park and Shopping center now

There's an atm inside the IMC cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There's an atm inside the IMC cinema.

And one at permanent tsb directly across road from new hut/kiosk

Both of which are of the sneaky hidden charge variety iirc...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KittyMcM

Did you hear it has owners already? I'd love to know, have a hen party booked in there's for the 21st!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Been informed by staff member that they're starting to clear the place out (re. House Hotel)

Pretty certain it's opening again Thursday anyway. My source is fairly reliable.
    If it's not new owners it's probably a management team put in by the receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Been informed by staff member that they're starting to clear the place out (re. House Hotel)

Yep passed by it earlier. They had 2 moving trucks outside and were loading mattresses and furniture into them. Odd to be doing that if it's reopening, no?

Not necessarily. Furniture etc would be owned by the tax man/banks now unless they came to some agreement with the new owners.
    I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.

Would appreciate any update you could provide re the house hotel as am not in Galway at the moment
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Noticed some new signage is up at what used to be Bodkins/Kings Valley out the Dublin Road (near Galway Crystal). Couldn't quite make it out, but something like "Lola's - Pasta & Pizza". T'would be nice to have a restaurant out this way, best of luck to em.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Not necessarily. Furniture etc would be owned by the tax man/banks now unless they came to some agreement with the new owners.
    I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.

They're still gutting the place today and looks like they're starting to board the windows up from the inside. Looking unlikely that it'll be open again by tomorrow at this stage.

Hmmm. I'll be down that way later. See if I can get any update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

PFH are moving from Parkmore down to the old Bodkins building beside Galway Crystal.

Anything else on the house hotel lads??

KittyMcM wrote: »
    Anything else on the house hotel lads??

Toilet bowls being removed as I type this. No way is it opening tomorrow.

Furniture is gone from downstairs, most windows just have roller blinds down, one covered with cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

It will be open in 6weeks after it will be re fitted by the receiver. Hoping to rehire same 50 staff.

Empty shops in Eglinton St, were Mother and Baby and something else, have signs up saying that a menswear shop (Reilly?) and Trespass outdoors are opening soon.

Java John's still has a lot of fitting out to do. Nice signs outside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Empty shops in Eglinton St, were Mother and Baby and something else, have signs up saying that a menswear shop (Reilly?) and Trespass outdoors are opening soon.

Java John's still has a lot of fitting out to do. Nice signs outside though.

Reidy Menswear have closed in GSC and are relocating to Eglinton Street.

• Advertisement

and Trespass outdoors are opening soon.
    Across from Great Outdoors? Interesting, think the one in Dublin has the odd bargain at least, Great Outdoors is a bit pricey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement