Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

disj wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to the Gastro in Carlow?

This is the Galway City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Manco wrote: »
    Any update on the Home Plate?

Haven't heard anything, but I had a gawk when I passed it yesterday. Nothing done inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

oops sorry thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Damn it man i was getting excited about a new mexican place! Poo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Gourmet Tart shop next to Tesco is being refitted, don't know for what

Only being renovated. Gourmet Tart going back in.

Painters working in House Hotel apparently. Not spotted them myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Regret never going in there back when it was a pub now Ill never see it. It was only 5 minutes from my house aswell.

HMV will be opening in a little under two weeks from what I've been told. Would imagine that the date is Friday 4th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Says on the door its open june 28th

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Says on the door its open june 28th

Could be but generally they open on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

whereabouts is HMV opening?? hopefully it won't be a rip off as in the past.

kefir32 wrote: »
    whereabouts is HMV opening?? hopefully it won't be a rip off as in the past.

Across from where it used to be and HMV was never a rip off. They were competitive with most online retailers and often cheaper than Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

They were a rip off when it came to merchandise (the mugs, t shirts , wallets etc)

That's where they made their money, and it's where they will make their money when open again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Could be but generally they open on a Friday.
    Isnt really any could about it, it says 28th and the store is merchandised and signs etc are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

antoobrien wrote: »
    I heard that it was bought as a single lot for use as a hostel/hotel (no links). Time will tell.

Looks like your info is correct. It now has big orange signs (and an orange flag) on it saying 'HOSTEL' and no mention of a bar.

An Pucan has been painted yellow out front and the inside looks ready to go. Hope the frontage is just an undercoat 'cos it looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Across from where it used to be and HMV was never a rip off. They were competitive with most online retailers and often cheaper than Amazon.

I've often found them better than Amazon, just recently picked up The Gazette's Beautiful Deformity while I was in London for £9.99, while the Amazon price is currently £14.41, and I think it was a bit more expensive last time I checked.

Even ordering from hmv.co.jp I found them better than amazon.co.jp

Links234 wrote: »
    I've often found them better than Amazon, just recently picked up The Gazette's Beautiful Deformity while I was in London for £9.99, while the Amazon price is currently £14.41, and I think it was a bit more expensive last time I checked.

Even ordering from hmv.co.jp I found them better than amazon.co.jp

The HMV of old which is what you still get in England and we had here was fantastic. You could preorder in something and if the price on the system was 8 euro then that's what you paid even if it was 20 on-shelves. Soon as HMV went into difficulty, amazon jacked up the prices of all media and it's yet to come down. Films which upon release were £12 on amazon suddenly shot up to £16 or£18 and haven't came down since. All of the Arrow Blu-Rays and DVDs are at least £5 cheaper in a HMV store than on amazon. Sure HMV had a few ridiculous prices but overall they were competitive and often the cheapest place to get something.

They need to hire someone who has a clue about game prices because what they were charging for games across all systems was a bad joke.

Thargor wrote: »
    They need to hire someone who has a clue about game prices because what they were charging for games across all systems was a bad joke.

HMV were always the cheapest for games, they would regularly be up to 20 euro cheaper on release day than Gamestop.

Java John's opens this Friday, can't see it lasting long considering it's location. It's a little out of the way for anyone who fancies a coffee while in town

Seriously, I don't get people ragging on HMV when they were often the best by far :confused: Girlfriend got her 3DS there way cheaper than Gamestop or Smyths

Darko, where is this Java John's place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seriously, I don't get people ragging on HMV when they were often the best by far :confused: Girlfriend got her 3DS there way cheaper than Gamestop or Smyths

Opposite The Abbey on Francis St.

It's just down from the Town Hall Theater and across form the church there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It's just down from the Town Hall Theater and across form the church there.

Opposite the Abbey?

Ah that's not too far out of the way at all, I sometimes go down to the Corrib Tea Rooms and that's a wee bit further

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah that's not too far out of the way at all, I sometimes go down to the Corrib Tea Rooms and that's a wee bit further

Never tried it. What's it like for food?

Food wise I only ever had the soup there, but it was good.

HMV were always the cheapest for games, they would regularly be up to 20 euro cheaper on release day than Gamestop.

Java John's opens this Friday, can't see it lasting long considering it's location. It's a little out of the way for anyone who fancies a coffee while in town
    Well they must have changed their policies since I stopped going in there because all I remember was 60 euro price tags on games going for 30 down in GAME and ancient games for a tenner in other shops still going for 30-40 up there.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Opposite the Abbey?

Yup.

If you're in the mood then it's not far but footfall there is going to be considerably less than just a couple of hundred meters up the road. I would imagine and hope that they stay open later in the evening and attract people attending the theater.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Well they must have changed their policies since I stopped going in there because all I remember was 60 euro price tags on games going for 30 down in GAME and ancient games for a tenner in other shops still going for 30-40 up there.

HMV was always god for game and a new release in there was always cheaper than anywhere else. The had a great system in place when after a few months the price of a game would drop to 27 and then to 18. It wasn't uncommon to see a relatively new release on sale for 12 euro or so. People say HMV was expensive but the people saying it never seem to have been inside the doors in a decade.

I'm looking at my Cabin in the Woods steel-book which I paid 16 euro for on day of release and in HMV and which was recently price at £22 on amazon. Beside it is my boxset of the complete MASH which cost me 50 euro while amazon had it for £65 at the same time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Quite nice, but can sometimes run out of certain meal components and are quite strict on substitutions as they only prep enough for however many dishes they expect to sell on any day (admittedly I haven't been there for several months, so the above may be completely outdated :p)

• Advertisement

People say HMV was expensive but the people saying it never seem to have been inside the doors in a decade.

To be fair there was a time when it was ridiculously expensive

I remember back about 10+ years ago, I'd be going to Dublin for a gig and I'd pop into Sound Cellar for my metal CDs :D I'd have a look in HMV and their metal section was a joke, if they had anything that wasn't mainstream, they'd slap an "Import" sticker on it and charge over 30 euro if not more. I remember a Blind Guardian album that they were looking for €39.99 for, that Sound Cellar had for €20

It was a joke back then, but they copped themselves on big time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement