Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ahh, yes it is.

For whatever reason, touch doesn't have an Attach image button on my phone.

Not that hard - the words "picture to follow" or just wait until at a full browser is available.
    And how do you post a picture of an answerphone message.

There are call recording apps for most mobile platforms, very useful for dealing wiht people who like claiming they never said something.

But in retaliation for the smartass question, pedantic answer from original post:
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Given the cameraphone age, it's not much of an inconvenience to add a picture of any signs etc displayed on a business. Perhaps this should be a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not that hard - the words "picture to follow" or just wait until at a full browser is available.

There are call recording apps for most mobile platforms, very useful for dealing wiht people who like claiming they never said something.

But in retaliation for the smartass question, pedantic answer from original post:

Jesus, not everyone has a cameraphone. I don't. They have a battery life of about 3 hours. Stop being precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus, not everyone has a cameraphone. I don't. They have a battery life of about 3 hours. Stop being precious.

Perfectly reasonable suggestion, my Nokia Lumia battery is good for over two days. The amount of unsubstantiated rubbish thats posted in here needs some sort of verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

People just need to have more cop on when posting about a particular premises'. If someone sees a sign and says whats on it then there is no need for a picture.. If someone has news about something closing/opening that anyone else cant find for themselves then dont post it..simples!

Perfectly reasonable suggestion, my Nokia Lumia battery is good for over two days. The amount of unsubstantiated rubbish thats posted in here needs some sort of verification.

Indeed I've had 3 smartphones over past five or six years (and camera phones for longer), I've never managed to run the battery down in three hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,853 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The amount of unsubstantiated rubbish thats posted in here needs some sort of verification.

Really?

I value my reputation quite a bit. I don't post unsubstantiated rubbish. But sometimes I do post information that I've received from credible sources, which cannot be validated with a photo.

Any schmuck with Photoshop (or even Microsoft Paint) can put a "sign" into a photo of a business. Any schmuck with a marker pen and bit of paper can make a sign saying "closed for renovatons", stick it on the door of a closed business and snap a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Really?

I value my reputation quite a bit. I don't post unsubstantiated rubbish. But sometimes I do post information that I've received from credible sources, which cannot be validated with a photo.

Any schmuck with Photoshop (or even Microsoft Paint) can put a "sign" into a photo of a business. Any schmuck with a marker pen and bit of paper can make a sign saying "closed for renovatons", stick it on the door of a closed business and snap a photo.
    Jesus thats some fair try at straw clutching there. Who in their right mind goes around doing that and when have you ever seen such a thing in a thread like this or similar?

I think in the last few months there has been a load of rubbish deleted out of this thread alright, no need to take it upon yourself to be the person/s the comment is aimed at, people saying 'oh 'x' is closed today so it must be gone' when in fact 'x' was simply closed due to flood damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Please go back on topic....!

Newsstand on the corner of Middle St/Lower Abbeygate St closed down on Christmas Eve but reopened under new ownership in the New Year. It is now one of many XL stores that are around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Jesus thats some fair try at straw clutching there. Who in their right mind goes around doing that and when have you ever seen such a thing in a thread like this or similar?

Ahh, people who are trying to damage other people's businesses using idle gossip as a (remarkably effective) tool.

Im not takimg warnings personally - just pointing out that every time someone posts shyte, it's their repuration at stake.

And re "when have you ever seen such a thing": There was a very well covered case a few years ago where one car dealer started vicious rumours about another, which were spread in places I'd imagine including boards. There was no Photoshop in that case (that I know of!) because there was no requirement for pictoral evidence of changes. But requiring pics just adds an incentive to make falsies.

And back on topic .. I've seen the guy from the XL newsagent in Eyre Square Centre around the former Newstand. Likely it's the same franchisee/manager for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ahem!
    ErnieBert wrote: »
    Please go back on topic....!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

Seen jobs being advertised in the Galway advertiser for a new fast food outlet in Eyre square. Hillbillys are coming to town!!!!

I'm not a big fan of fast food but whenever i've made the trip to Cork i always make a point of having a bucket of hillbillys fried chicken. Yum yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

topcat77 wrote: »
    Seen jobs being advertised in the Galway advertiser for a new fast food outlet in Eyre square. Hillbillys are coming to town!!!!

I'm not a big fan of fast food but whenever i've made the trip to Cork i always make a point of having a bucket of hillbillys fried chicken. Yum yum!

Yeah it was posted a couple of pages back - glad to see someone shares my enthusiasm for the news! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Saw a 'Closing Down Sale' sign on the window of The Winding Stairs on Mainguard Street today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Yea saw that too today and just checked their FB page, 23 years in business.... I'm sure someone will be in there soon though in a new shop opening post soon enough. https://www.facebook.com/Jewellery.Galway

It's 1 Feb. Just went past Chez Azur, it's still closed, no matter what their answerphone says. And it aint due to flooding, Padraigs downstairs is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Townhouse gone from what I hear,cant get insurance renewal.
    Liked that place

The manager was on RTE news a few days ago saying they won't be open until the end of March because of the damage caused at the beginning of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

The manager was on RTE news a few days ago saying they won't be open until the end of March because of the damage caused at the beginning of the month.

I hope this is true we like to go in on a Saturday night and the staff are sound.
    I heard it from a pub on Quay street but they could have been talking siht,removed my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Is the noodle house gone or just renamed?

passed by it on sun and saw the changes, new ownership?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Is the noodle house gone or just renamed?

passed by it on sun and saw the changes, new ownership?

what/where is the noodle house?

• Advertisement

what/where is the noodle house?

Da Tang Noodle House on Middle St. It's mentioned earlier in the thread, the guy moved on to something else and Chi from Westside opened there.

Mr O'B reports that the Cara cabs office in Eyre Square beside AIB now has Big-O signs outside it. (No pix, 'cos his phone doesn't have a camera and he ain't a boardsie.)

There've been rumours for a couple of weeks about Cara moving out because they don't have enough drivers. No idea if there's any truth to 'em, but I gave up trying to get a cab from there in the mornings about 6 months ago because they never had a car available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They have been advertising in the Independent for the last couple of weeks as Chara Expert Taxis with the tag line 'over 500 taxis nationwide'. Not much use if they have none in Galway lol.
    Maybe the number is being answered from some sort of central call centre now.
    One of the same directors is still involved with them for recruiting drivers though.

Sign on Riordan's 'Reopening very soon under new management'. Saw them bringing in some kind of wreaths in Galway colours.

The offie in Murty Rabbits in Forster St is clsoed. No sign outside, but the bar staff confirmed it. No change to the pub part of the operation.

The former carpet world unit next to PC World is being fitted out for something - it wasn't obvious to me what for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The former carpet world unit next to PC World is being fitted out for something - it wasn't obvious to me what for.

Home store & more

Sign on Riordan's 'Reopening very soon under new management'. Saw them bringing in some kind of wreaths in Galway colours.

Reopened now. Looks the same except for a paint job. Menu is the same. Same staff seem to be working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

the Bentley has closed with the loss of 30 jobs
    Seen a page on Facebook by the former staff, asking for the former owners to pay the wage there owned.
    Nothing worst then cowards who don't pay staff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm actually shocked the Bentley stayed open as long as it has. I'm not saying that to be mean, but it was horrible, and I just can't understand how they kept that place going. Horrible that the owners haven't payed the staff either, that's just low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement