Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Salthill definitely needs something, Salt is too try hard without much to back it up.

IMO Salt gave up trying altogether when they completely changed tack and dumbed down their offering. Now it’s just run of the mill fare, nothing to make it stand out from the crowd.

westgolf wrote: »
    Was a diner type of operation not supposed to be going into the unit that was built on the site of the former aib branch ?

That unit is owned by the same people who own Salt and the Galleon. I did hear tell ages ago that they were going to turn it into a diner/deli type place. But I guess they decided to go down that road with Salt instead. I think there’s talk now of having a “pop-up” restaurant in the new unit in the short term but I’ve no idea what form that’s going to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

That unit is owned by the same people who own Salt and the Galleon. I did hear tell ages ago that they were going to turn it into a diner/deli type place. But I guess they decided to go down that road with Salt instead. I think there’s talk now of having a “pop-up” restaurant in the new unit in the short term but I’ve no idea what form that’s going to take.
    Still looking to pursue the mccambridge style shop model with aims to open in July it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

JnarF wrote: »
    loriexxx wrote: »

Closed by the EHO for an uncertain amount of time.
    Apparently it's changing hands soon anyways from original owner.

Sorry but was the reason for the closure? Was their once for food, was alright if a little over priced

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

IMO Salt gave up trying altogether when they completely changed tack and dumbed down their offering. Now it’s just run of the mill fare, nothing to make it stand out from the crowd.

IMHO Salt was so overpriced the likes of me would have never bothered to step in there until they went out of business which tbh I didn't expect to take long. If they've gotten some sense maybe I'll check out their menu prices again.

... just checked it out... €7 starters and €14 for mains (inc 2 sides) is way more reasonable. The bbq brisket and ribs sound tempting. It's true that maybe basic compared to what they were going for. They're obviously struggling to find their niche.

• Advertisement

IMHO Salt was so overpriced the likes of me would have never bothered to step in there until they went out of business which tbh I didn't expect to take long. If they've gotten some sense maybe I'll check out their menu prices again.

... just checked it out... €7 starters and €14 for mains (inc 2 sides) is way more reasonable. The bbq brisket and ribs sound tempting. It's true that maybe basic compared to what they were going for. They're obviously struggling to find their niche.

I agree the menu was quite expensive but the food was very good. I said from the beginning they should do an early bird or set menu to widen their customer base. I wish they’d tried that before changing direction altogether.

Yes, prices are cheaper now but the food is average and the menu very limited. It’s basically the same few items under different headings, e,g. crispy chicken as a main, crispy chicken burger or chicken salad. Same for brisket, fish etc. Makes it very easy for the kitchen but really limits customer choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Sorry but was the reason for the closure? Was their once for food, was alright if a little over priced

Thanks
    Can see the closure order on HSE website as linked above. It'll only quote a directive for now. Full report normally follows and can be viewed later. What I heard was inadequate separation of food types between cooked and uncooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I agree the menu was quite expensive but the food was very good. I said from the beginning they should do an early bird or set menu to widen their customer base. I wish they’d tried that before changing direction altogether.

Yes, prices are cheaper now but the food is average and the menu very limited. It’s basically the same few items under different headings, e,g. crispy chicken as a main, crispy chicken burger or chicken salad. Same for brisket, fish etc. Makes it very easy for the kitchen but really limits customer choice.
    Food was bang average when we went before the menu change, service was also poor and very slow. Wouldn't even think to go back again. Black Cat, Oslo and whatever the Fisherman is now would seem better options.

Food was bang average when we went before the menu change, service was also poor and very slow. Wouldn't even think to go back again.

Perhaps I should clarify that my remarks are based on the evening food which was always good to excellent on the many occasions we ate there. I can’t comment on the day-time menu. The menu is the same all day and night now.

We always had great service but a new manager started a couple of months before the change of direction and from what I could see his management style had a demotivating effect on the wait staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Westside Tavern closed last week or so , what happened??

• Advertisement

Monahan's garage on the Tuam Road have acquired the last house between their two sites and it was demolished today - presumably for a bigger car park for the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry people, a lot of hearsay and follow up posts removed.
    This thread is for information, not speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

More hearsay without solid official source removed.
    Please save it for the pub and not a public forum where you are anonymous with no response from the establishment

Westwood subject of planning application that would lead to its demise were ABP to approve............ ..https://galwaybayfm.ie/developer-pushes-ahead-with-plans-to-demolish-city-westwood-hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

youngrun wrote: »
    Westwood subject of planning application that would lead to its demise were ABP to approve............ ..https://galwaybayfm.ie/developer-pushes-ahead-with-plans-to-demolish-city-westwood-hotel/
    It was sold a year and a half ago. Its demise is certain http://www.thejournal.ie/westwood-hotel-galway-student-housing-2-3238176-Feb2017/

It was sold a year and a half ago. Its demise is certain http://www.thejournal.ie/westwood-hotel-galway-student-housing-2-3238176-Feb2017/

Has to go through planning process yet . Nothing is certain. Look at Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How big is the site? Imagine they would make a nice profit if they sold the Hotel again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

It was on the front of the tribune I think last week about going for the planning. It looks like a big enough site from being in there before. They are planning 400 students if i'm not mistaken with the application so must be big enough.
    Just did some detective work there though, you can reserve a room up until the 30th September... no more dates available after that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

jenno86 wrote: »
    Paddys Poutine has been closed for over a week now due to maintenance.

I passed yesterday, it is still closed for maintenance.

But they were at the Westend Street Festival on Monday. Hope they sort whatever might be going on.

It was on the front of the tribune I think last week about going for the planning. It looks like a big enough site from being in there before. They are planning 400 students if i'm not mistaken with the application so must be big enough.
    Just did some detective work there though, you can reserve a room up until the 30th September... no more dates available after that....

Reason for asking - could they not have got another Brownfield Site that is similar size but not doing anything as productive as the Westwood Hotel is currently doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

could they not have got another Brownfield Site that is similar size but not doing anything as productive as the Westwood Hotel is currently doing?
    For that you'd need someone who was willing to sell ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Reason for asking - could they not have got another Brownfield Site that is similar size but not doing anything as productive as the Westwood Hotel is currently doing?

Did you have anywhere close to thee university in mind?

serfboard wrote: »
    And proximity to the university, access to the main road, similar density for redevelopment.

The other option would be to buy up a lot of individual adjacent properties over time but even that wouldn't be guaranteed to work or get permission.

Did you have anywhere close to thee university in mind?

Higgins site of new shop is still vastly underutilised. Old site to be converted all the same into student apts Not as close to the North Campus as Westwood site but closer to the South Campus, town and shopping amenitiys.

serfboard wrote: »

Or forced....

Or forced....

Student accommodation does not warrant a CPO

The other option would be to buy up a lot of individual adjacent properties over time but even that wouldn't be guaranteed to work or get permission.

You've just described the purpose of one particular small dept in the University

Student accommodation does not warrant a CPO
    Was referring to the Westwood Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

loriexxx wrote: »

Closed by the EHO for an uncertain amount of time.
    Apparently it's changing hands soon anyways from original owner.

http://www.thejournal.ie/food-businesses-closed-down-fsai-4059723-Jun2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

topcat77 wrote: »

Here's the official report

*Edit* For anyone who can't get to the page I've added the reasons outlined in the report
    Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs
    Annex II Chapter II Article 5 (1, 2a-g)

There was no evidence that a food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP was in
    operation. Critical control points have not been identified and controls have not been put in place to
    prevent, eliminate or reduce hazards, which may lead to a risk of unsafe food being produced.

Annex II Chapter IX (5)

High risk food items including Brie, Blue Cheese Mayonnaise, Mayonnaise, Cooked Chicken, Feta
    Cheese and Goats Cheese were found to be stored at between 10oC and 12oC in the refrigerated
    saladette unit. As there was no food safety management system in place, the staff in the kitchen or the
    food business operator were not aware that the unit was not working effectively, potentially rendering the
    foodstuffs unsafe.
    One of the upright chest freezers located in the basement was undergoing a defrosting cycle. Partially
    thawed chicken nuggets were found inside the unit which was at a temperature of -12oC. Food items had
    not been transferred into the upright freezer unit which was operating adjacent prior to defrosting the
    unit. If the foodstuffs had been refrozen, it could render the foodstuffs unsafe.

Annex II Chapter IX (2)

A cooked chicken breast was stored in an uncovered container adjacent to a container of uncovered raw
    mince in one of the refrigerated drawers despite the availability of sufficient storage to allow for
    complete segregation of cooked and raw food items. Storing such items in close proximity increases the
    risk of cross contamination which could render foodstuffs unsafe.

Annex II Chapter I (4)

There was no hot water available at the only designated wash hand basin in the kitchen. Using cold/luke
    warm water reduces the effectiveness of hand washing which could increase the risk of contamination of
    food stuffs.

Annex II Chapter I (1)

The painted wall surfaces and window cill surrounding the area where waiting staff leave used crockery
    and cutlery was in filthy condition. Some of the wall surfaces in this area have been clad with a spongelike
    sound proofing material which is not a readily cleanable surface to have in a food premises.

Annex II Chapter XII (1,2)

There was no evidence that the food business operator had undergone food safety training and therefore
    is not qualified to supervise or train new staff or have the knowledge necessary to implement a food
    safety management system. There was no evidence that the staff working in the kitchen had received any
    food hygiene training commensurate with their work activity. Lack of food hygiene training may limit the
    ability of staff to carry out their activities in a safe and hygienic manner.

S.I. No. 489/2014 - Health (Provision of Food Allergen Information to Consumers in respect of NonPrepacked
    Food) Regulations 2014.
    Part 2

Information regarding the presence of Allergens in menu items was not provided on the menu or any
    other part of the premises which was easily accessible for customers. This information is required for
    customers with a food allergy who require accurate information about the food they purchase in order to
    avoid serious and sometimes fatal consequences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement