Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

O Malley's (fish shop) in galway shopping center being closed any time being passing back over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Phase 2 of The Gateway Retail Park is starting construction in June 2018 according to the construction information services site, hopefully in the next month's we'll have an idea of what stores are going to open, hopefully something not already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Jammyd wrote: »
    Phase 2 of The Gateway Retail Park is starting construction in June 2018 according to the construction information services site, hopefully in the next month's we'll have an idea of what stores are going to open, hopefully something not already here.

Is that the place out in Knocknacarra?

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is that the place out in Knocknacarra?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is it going to be where the big hole in the ground is next to Dunnes and B&Q in Rahoon?

• Advertisement

Is it going to be where the big hole in the ground is next to Dunnes and B&Q in Rahoon?

Yeah Exactly - https://brochures.bannon.ie/files/galway-gateway-shopping-park.pdf

They have fake brands in the brochure but not hard to tell what stores they are pitching for and gives a taste of who they might attract - already mentioned before but highly likely Harvey Norman will be an Anchor based on media reports that they are very close to signing a Galway location https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/harvey-norman-in-talks-to-open-two-new-stores-36584363.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Yeah Exactly - https://brochures.bannon.ie/files/galway-gateway-shopping-park.pdf

They have fake brands in the brochure but not hard to tell what stores they are pitching for and gives a taste of who they might attract - already mentioned before but highly likely Harvey Norman will be an Anchor based on media reports that they are very close to signing a Galway location https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/harvey-norman-in-talks-to-open-two-new-stores-36584363.html

Harvey Norman will not be opening in Knocknacarra as the units are two small they need something around 45,000 sq feet one of the companies that are opening in Knocknacarra will be Zara and the drive-thru will be kfc

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

m17 wrote: »
    Harvey Norman will not be opening in Knocknacarra as the units are two small they need something around 45,000 sq feet one of the companies that are opening in Knocknacarra will be Zara and the drive-thru will be kfc

Source ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Apparently Zara is only coming if H&M does too.

Great another KFC. I was hoping for a Nandos or one of the burger chains they have up in Dublin.

One of the units is 45000 square foot so I wouldn't rule it out, anyway all speculation at this point, my only rational for suggesting it would be there is there is no other vacant unit of this size available in the city and this is the only new retail build of scale to come on stream.

• Advertisement

This brochure really is a lot of PR bull****.
    RSA Insurance is listed as the Road Safety Authority!!:eek:
    They also think that Rahoon and KnocknaCarra are "Densley Populated" :confused:

I would be sceptical of a mega store like Harvey Norman locating on the West Side of City.
    It is on the wrong side for population catchment. East County Galway has 3 times as many people as West County Galway.
    The fact that it is only "Proposed M6 Galway City Bypass" or Expressway or Outer City Ring Road...
    That aint even submitted for planning (nearly 2 years behind schedule) it will be 10-15 years at this stage before will see it built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I would be sceptical of a mega store ... locating on the West Side of City. It is on the wrong side for population catchment. East County Galway has 3 times as many people as West County Galway.
    I'd agree with this. From Gort->Ballinasloe->Tuam feeding into the East side of the City I'd think it'd be more likely that you'll see more developements on the Ballybrit, Doughiska and even Oranmore side.

I've been told that a lot of people who live East of Craughwell go to Athlone instead, rather than fighting Galway traffic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Raw - the sushi place is permanently closed.

Paddy’s poutine is re-opening with an actual premises just across from Rouge in Dominick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

One of the units is 45000 square foot so I wouldn't rule it out, anyway all speculation at this point, my only rational for suggesting it would be there is there is no other vacant unit of this size available in the city and this is the only new retail build of scale to come on stream.

I was thinking here http://www.daft.ie/galway/commercial-property-for-rent/retail-units-for-rent/unit-7-wellpark-retail-leisure-galway-city-galway-122833/ was a likely place for Harvey now that Edwards Holding has lost it's hold on it but too small so if 45000sq ft is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Paddy’s poutine is re-opening with an actual premises just across from Rouge in Dominick street.
    They were meant to open on Friday last, but pushed it back for some reason. Passed it Saturday evening, bin bags still covering the window but nice neon sign in the front. I look forward to trying it (never did when they had the truck only) - nice addition along with the Chilli Shack, Dough Bros, Woozzas etc of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Higgins of shantalla have moved to there new premises this is the old shop this morningIMAG3254_zpsgj40oxm9.jpg

IMAG3255_zpszjzvewze.jpg

Higgins of shantalla have moved to there new premises this is the old shop this morningIMAG3254_zpsgj40oxm9.jpg

IMAG3255_zpszjzvewze.jpg

Now all they need is that NEW access road from SQR? (It even has the RIGHT turn lane pre-built for it)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Long established firm in Galway. Wish them all the best on the relocation

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They were meant to open on Friday last, but pushed it back for some reason. Passed it Saturday evening, bin bags still covering the window but nice neon sign in the front. I look forward to trying it (never did when they had the truck only) - nice addition along with the Chilli Shack, Dough Bros, Woozzas etc of Galway.
    Passed it last night, and they were open. They had a soft launch, it seems, open from 5pm last night (Thursday) till 10pm. Hoping they'll be open tonight to try it.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Passed it last night, and they were open. They had a soft launch, it seems, open from 5pm last night (Thursday) till 10pm. Hoping they'll be open tonight to try it.
    Popped in on Friday night (their second night open).

The place was pretty small, (I'm gonna guess enough room for 20 people?). Set up is pretty nice, with the food truck in the back tacked on to the building it appears. Place was packed. Service was a little weird, but we'll put that down to teething problems. Thought it was table service, but turned out you had to go to the terminal to order but then the owner (?) was going around to tables to make sure people had ordered.

Menu is basically burgers, poutine (as you'd expect...). Burgers were in or around €9. Add poutine for €3.50 extra, and you get a full size portion. Poutine alone is €6-7 depending on what you get.

Food was decent. Herself wasn't best impressed since the chips weren't crispy (even the ones not soaked in gravy) and the gravy was a little gritty... The burger was decent though. They had a bacon aoili on it which was nice.

Overall, pretty decent but I wouldn't be rushing to get back right away. Give them a few weeks to get settled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Have excellent burgers but they’ve changed their gravy for the poutine.

Worth checking out.

Miss Selfridge and Burton in the Galway Shopping Centre have closed - did this happen recently or did I just not notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Miss Selfridge and Burton in the Galway Shopping Centre have closed - did this happen recently or did I just not notice?
    End of April, leases were up and not renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Former Brogans re- open as The Ol 55 Bar. So much for the O'Malleys signage.

Guinness reportedly 4.40 a pint.

Suspicion confirmed: 😉 http://connachttribune.ie/harvey-norman-to-become-anchor-tenant-in-knocknacarra-retail-park-200/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Great news. Guess we'll keep checking here to see who fills out the rest of the units in the 14 or so months it's meant to take.

Looking back at older articles I found this interesting snippet to keep track of as well:
    The applicants have also indicated that Phase 3 – the full details of which have not been drawn up – will include space for a farmers’ market, a cinema and possible student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Vina Maria will be closed for the next two to three weeks as the premises are getting a make over will reopen for the May bank holiday weekend

Passed by again Tuesday after the bank holiday and it's still closed. Heard it's up for lease @€;60k. Most of their staff have new jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That new Poutine place on Dominic Street has been closed for "maintaince" now for quite a few days. Don't know if it's exactly as they say it is or not, but it seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Passed by again Tuesday after the bank holiday and it's still closed. Heard it's up for lease @€;60k. Most of their staff have new jobs

Noooooo! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Heard today that Red Eye Roast (had a cafe in Middle St for a while) now have a cafe at their factory site in Racecourse Business Park. Haven't see it yet myself, but apparently it's rather nice, and popular.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement