Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,767 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

YES it does, even a Primary School. :D

There's already a primary school down the road, and another one not far up the road too. I'm not sure the neighbourhood needs another one.

(I've never understood why people snipe about schools being put in commercial zones: seems to me that areas designed for lots of people and cars are better for a 400-person educational institution than residential estates are.)

Back on topic, the long closed convenience store in Prospect Hill that I mentioned was being fitted out for something weeks ago is still being fitted out. Work seems to have stopped, but there's signage for Arabica inside waiting to be put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Back on topic, the long closed convenience store in Prospect Hill that I mentioned was being fitted out for something weeks ago is still being fitted out. Work seems to have stopped, but there's signage for Arabica inside waiting to be put up.

The owner of Arabica is recently deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The owner of Arabica is recently deceased

One of them, tragic it was too. Wasn't there two brothers involved in the business?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There's already a primary school down the road, and another one not far up the road too. I'm not sure the neighbourhood needs another one.

(I've never understood why people snipe about schools being put in commercial zones: seems to me that areas designed for lots of people and cars are better for a 400-person educational institution than residential estates are.)

It doesnt - ya missed the point completly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic everyone. Remember the scope of this thread is information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Spotted a shop called "Retro Revival" on Merchants Road, opposite Mayoralty House. Don't think it was there a week or two ago. Looks to be retro clothes or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xckjoo wrote: »
    Spotted a shop called "Retro Revival" on Merchants Road, opposite Mayoralty House. Don't think it was there a week or two ago. Looks to be retro clothes or some such.

Is that shop not up on Middle St?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is that shop not up on Middle St?

Think it was here, in the smaller door to the right. Dunno anything about it. Just saw it on the way to work this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maplin gotta be Maplin right to the end.

I suppose Harvey Normans will fill that gap a bit when it opens.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I suppose Harvey Normans will fill that gap a bit when it opens.

I miss Harvey's so much, is there a date/venue for it yet?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Bredabe wrote: »
    I miss Harvey's so much, is there a date/venue for it yet?

Speculation but I would guess it will be in the Phase 2 of the retail park out in Knocknacarra on the basis there isn't many units available of the size they would look for.. unless they re-jig Wellparks empty units

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Gateway-Shopping-Park-Knocknacarra-Co-Galway/364374/#img=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Jammyd wrote: »
    Speculation but I would guess it will be in the Phase 2 of the retail park out in Knocknacarra on the basis there isn't many units available of the size they would look for.. unless they re-jig Wellparks empty units

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Gateway-Shopping-Park-Knocknacarra-Co-Galway/364374/#img=4

Slightly off topic but that advert describes Galway as Ireland’s third largest city. When did that happen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Redo91 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but that advert describes Galway as Ireland’s third largest city. When did that happen?!

Before Limerick City Council was abolished, Galway had been classed as bigger based on defined city limits e.g.

2011 Census Galway 75K
    2011 Census Limerick 58K

Now its c.80K Galway and 94K Limerick as at April 2016.. Don't think anyone in Galway really cared but plenty of debate on boards on the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A new gin bar opening on Forster Street - Hyde Galway. Part of the Pucan group.

I'm not sure of which building it's going into though, possibly one of the buildings at the entrance to Forster Court?

https://www.facebook.com/HydeGalway/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Just passed Higgins's timber factory in Shantalla and there's a car transporter parked outside on the main road with the top section lowered as if unloading cars. Lot of activity in the car-park too. Wonder if it's going to be a car sales place?
    Higgins are moving the shop here and there current site will be used as student accommodation apartments
    IMAG3199_zpsgrj9oklu.jpgthis will be Higgins new hardware shop and timber supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

m17 wrote: »
    Higgins are moving the shop here and there current site will be used as student accommodation apartments
    IMAG3199_zpsgrj9oklu.jpgthis will be Higgins new hardware shop and timber supplies

Source ? Student apartments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wha?

Nout on the Council's planning site about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,767 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »
    A new gin bar opening on Forster Street - Hyde Galway. Part of the Pucan group.

I'm not sure of which building it's going into though, possibly one of the buildings at the entrance to Forster Court?

https://www.facebook.com/HydeGalway/

Nah, it's just a complete new fitout for the bar in the only-renovated-last-year Forster Court hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nah, it's just a complete new fitout for the bar in the only-renovated-last-year Forster Court hotel.

That would make a lot more sense alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

McSharry's Pharmacy going into the "Hanley House" building on The Crescent.

It being just across the road from the varying doctors rooms in The Crescent this should be good for them - not so good maybe for Hogan's Pharmacy which is only down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

serfboard wrote: »

It bing just across the road from the varying doctors rooms in The Crescent this should be good for them - not so good maybe for Hogan's Pharmacy which is only down the road.

Claddagh Medical Centre across the road is moving into Hanley House from next week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Wha?

Nout on the Council's planning site about it.

knew there were apartments going up. didn't realise it was student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Vina mara has been closed since Friday night. Not answering or returning my calls since

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Vina mara has been closed since Friday night. Not answering or returning my calls since

I walked passed tonight and it looks like they are doing it up. Sign up says they will be opening up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Vina Maria will be closed for the next two to three weeks as the premises are getting a make over will reopen for the May bank holiday weekend

dok_golf wrote: »
    knew there were apartments going up. didn't realise it was student accommodation.
    There are (or there used to be) better tax breaks for student accommodation.

serfboard wrote: »
    Claddagh Medical Centre across the road is moving into Hanley House from next week as well.
    Both of these are now open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Any idea of the date when they switch over to the NEW shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Any idea of the date when they switch over to the NEW shop?

Passed by on SQR @4.30 and there was three units of the fire brigade at the silo structure at the back, lot of smoke too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What's SQR?

Seamus Quirke road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement