Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Glad you have finally clarified the situation. It’s a shame you didn’t see fit to put a sign up in the window of the Fisherman with that information. You might be kind enough to do so now so to reassure the customers who bought gift vouchers but don’t read this forum.

Bit rich saying your new FB page has been live for the last month. The Fisherman page is still live so how was anybody to know to look for the Wilde’s page? You need to update the Fisherman page with your new details instead of leaving your customers in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You'd have to have some neck on you to go in to a totally different business and make demands re: something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. Some people have no clue about the stress such damage to a business causes. Vouchers were probably the last thing on their minds and I don't think it's too much to show a little understanding in cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

You'd have to have some neck on you to go in to a totally different business and make demands re: something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. Some people have no clue about the stress such damage to a business causes.

Sorry, I really don’t understand how you can say it has “absolutely nothing to do with them” when the same people are owners or part owners of all the businesses. The Fisherman restaurant Twitter page promotes the shop as “our fish shop outlet”. In this case, the owners caused stress to customers who bought vouchers in good faith by not putting a simple notice up on the premises and on FB. If they were more clued in they could have avoided causing stress to anybody, including themselves.
    Vouchers were probably the last thing on their minds and I don't think it's too much to show a little understanding in cases like this.

People are usually understanding when things are explained but they weren’t in this case. IMO, the flooding story is a little “fishy” considering the Fisherman was in operation up until New Years Eve/day at least. Surprisingly, they then launched the Wilde’s on the Bay FB page on 9th January (not a month ago as they said in their post yesterday) and they already had their new logo and artwork ready to go. Hard to imagine they were able to get all that organised while dealing with an unexpected flooding incident.

For any local business people who are interested, I think the moral of the story here is very simple. Be honest and upfront with your customers and keep them informed. Treat them as you would like to be treated. It’s not hard to do folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a question about whether a voucher is valid, please ask the establishment directly.

Back to shops opening/closing please

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Has anyone been to the new burger place in Newcastle, Wholly cow. Looking forward to trying it. In my opinion Galway is missing a consistently good burger restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

loriexxx wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the new burger place in Newcastle, Wholly cow. Looking forward to trying it. In my opinion Galway is missing a consistently good burger restaurant.

Go back 1 page and read posts #3050 - #3056.

Just to point out the obvious it's usually a good idea to go back a page or two if you haven't seen the thread for a while. Also, you can search this thread (link at top). It's a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Go back 1 page and read posts #3050 - #3056.

Just to point out the obvious it's usually a good idea to go back a page or two if you haven't seen the thread for a while. Also, you can search this thread (link at top). It's a thing.

Set up is different on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

Went there today for the first time. Not a massive fan of beef burgers but these were delicious. The chips were nice too. The pickles and onion chutney were really nice. I like my burgers medium, this is probably why i don't order burgers anymore, and this was. Obviously its not to everyones taste so maybe mention you want it well done when you do order. 8 outa 10 for me. Looses marks on low quantity of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

As regards the new burger place.. Order as you like.. Im sure they have plenty of options?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

smurf492 wrote: »
    As regards the new burger place.. Order as you like.. Im sure they have plenty of options?.

Odd comment.
    Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Well as a post here has elaborated it sounds like you can get what the hell you want on your burger ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Handsome Burger have arguable the best burgers I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Redo91 wrote: »

I’ve eaten there three times, the first time the food was so salty it was barely edible and the other times there was zero seasoning. On all occasions the food took over 40 minutes to arrive, which isn’t really acceptable for a burger and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I’ve eaten there three times, the first time the food was so salty it was barely edible and the other times there was zero seasoning. On all occasions the food took over 40 minutes to arrive, which isn’t really acceptable for a burger and chips.

To each their own I guess. I find the burgers to be spot on. The toppings are great and their burger sauce is lovely. They are constantly adding to the menu too which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Redo91 wrote:

They give me halloumi chips. These make me very very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Teddy and Co in Eyre Square centre have had a "closing down" sale for a while. Today there's a new sign saying "Last Day".

Former convenience store on Prosepct Hill (the one that's been closed for years) is being fitted out for something. So is a shop on Dominic St down from Just Art It.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Cooke's shop on Shantalla Road (visible on Google Maps here) is closed. A pity to see a shop that has been there for a long time gone.

The sign is gone, but the premises itself looks like it is being refurbished - to be turned into what, I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

serfboard wrote: »
    Cooke's shop on Shantalla Road (visible on Google Maps here) is closed. A pity to see a shop that has been there for a long time gone.

The sign is gone, but the premises itself looks like it is being refurbished - to be turned into what, I don't know.

Coffee shop probably! Bound to do well if it were, Galway is Addicted to Coffee ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

youngrun wrote: »
    Coffee shop probably! Bound to do well if it were, Galway is Addicted to Coffee ..
    Yep, that was my guess too! And there's precedent for exactly this type of transition with Molloy's shop in Renmore being turned into The Full Duck Cafe.

Mind you, a coffee shop might do alright with plenty of local residents in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep, that was my guess too! And there's precedent for exactly this type of transition with Molloy's shop in Renmore being turned into The Full Duck Cafe.

Mind you, a coffee shop might do alright with plenty of local residents in the area.

And Mcmanus shop now Mocha beans also doing well. Saw El Presidente Browne and NUIG top brass there today , seal of approval

Is there no end to the Coffee Gravy Train?! :)I doubt anyone in town is able to sleep given the amount of black fuel they consume!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

And Mcmanus shop now Mocha beans also doing well. Saw El Presidente Browne and NUIG top brass there today , seal of approval

Is there no end to the Coffee Gravy Train?! :)I doubt anyone in town is able to sleep given the amount of black fuel they consume!

Professor Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh is the President now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Redo91 wrote: »

I was a big fan of handsome burger before they moved into Caribou. I have found the meat is not as nice and every time I have been in I have had at least a 45 min wait. It is a great spot to be based in just hope they can improve the heir service and get the food back to the quality it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Funny enough the wife and I were looking for something other than the pub to do last night. We thought of just taking our books to a cafe to avoid temptation but they all seem to shut around 6pm. Is there no late night caffeine in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Funny enough the wife and I were looking for something other than the pub to do last night. We thought of just taking our books to a cafe to avoid temptation but they all seem to shut around 6pm. Is there no late night caffeine in Galway?

Javas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The secret garden is the place for you guys, near Massimo on Sea Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Both the above and Tartare.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cafe Express in Eyre Square seems to be open til about 9. Cafe Nero next to it til about 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not sure where this should go but there is what looks like a 2 page advertising with a lot of quotes by Mike crowe about a new hotel and apartment development in doughiska. It seems rather out of scale to the rest of the development in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not sure where this should go but there is what looks like a 2 page advertising with a lot of quotes by Mike crowe about a new hotel and apartment development in doughiska. It seems rather out of scale to the rest of the development in the area.

It's here:
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/plans-submitted-council-major-mixed-use-doughiska-development/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

A planning application to convert the Elverys in Liosban to a restaurant has been rejected.

There were a string of objections relating to the size, lack of detail, current supply of restaurants, lack of parking and traffic.

One of the possible tenants mentioned in the objections was Starbucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement