Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 john15

Papa rich going in.

The fisherman in salthill is finished. New owners taking over. Was speaking to the manager couple of days ago

Reguarding The Fisherman I baught a voucher off them just before the Christmas, I rang them this evening to book a table and they said they are closed until the end of January so hopefully I haven’t wasted my money 🀔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Matt's Sandwiches on Newcastle Road (old butchers premises opposite AIB, beside 37 West / G&L) is ready to open. Counter is stocked with bars etc. and they seem to be done working on it so I'd expect to see it open on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,853 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

john15 wrote: »
    Reguarding The Fisherman I baught a voucher off them just before the Christmas, I rang them this evening to book a table and they said they are closed until the end of January so hopefully I haven’t wasted my money ��

Poor form to be selling vouchers if they knew they were going out of the place.

I'd be paying a visit to their retail outlet in Galway Shopping Centre for a discussion ....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Papa Rich going in where Royal Villa was above Aquarium..

Fisherman going for a re brand to a more generic restraunt not specializing in seafood.. re opening in same building!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Papa rich going in.

Jaysus, that we'll be restaurant no. 4. They are flying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Jaysus, that we'll be restaurant no. 4. They are flying it!

Opening no. 5 if you count the in-store operation in Joyce's in Knocknacarra. Some speed and pace of expansion alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mother fckers in head,told the young lad to get me vouchers for Xmas ,he got them Xmas week,went into shop 3 times since and paper over windows and closed for stocktake signs up,and we're active on FB up till the 3rd Jan..

Anyone know who runs this place .. out if ****in order selling vouchers for Xmas presents when they obviously knew they were closing.

Aside to that I'd just gotten back into vinyl because of them being there ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Hi, anyone know what is going in to the old AIB in Salthill.

Between the new AIB and black cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭howyanow

kal7 wrote: »

Im not sure what is going in but surely it will be restaurant/food related?
    It is nice to see a new building there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Mother fckers in head,told the young lad to get me vouchers for Xmas ,he got them Xmas week,went into shop 3 times since and paper over windows and closed for stocktake signs up,and we're active on FB up till the 3rd Jan..

Anyone know who runs this place .. out if ****in order selling vouchers for Xmas presents when they obviously knew they were closing.

Aside to that I'd just gotten back into vinyl because of them being there ffs.
    They've gone into liquidation if Wikipedia is correct https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Records From reading Facebook posts on the Liffey valley page, I don't think the staff knew they were going. I'd say they a bit annoyed now too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

kal7 wrote: »

I was told it's going to be occupied by a well known food store on Shop St, Galway, very well known for their fine soup and sambo's at lunch time ;)

I can't name them because it's not confirmed.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭howyanow

I was told it's going to be occupied by a well known food store on Shop St, Galway, very well known for their fine soup and sambo's at lunch time ;)

I heard the same but didn't want to say as it could just be rumours! didn't that building home to rumours nightclub years ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

No it's not them. It is however being run by one of their former staff.
    It will be Salt Deli and sandwich bar from the guys from Salt a few doors down. Will do hampers etc as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

westgolf wrote: »
    Opening no. 5 if you count the in-store operation in Joyce's in Knocknacarra. Some speed and pace of expansion alright.

That's run by Papa Rich too?!?

I had no idea. I remember trying it a couple years ago and it was terrible. They might be wise to advertise who makes it or give some samples for those who remember how bad it used to be.

I haven't tried the recent "street food" incarnation but noticed it looks way nicer and it's staffed by a fella in the afternoons. I'm guessing its no longer a scoop as much garbage as you can into a takeaway container for a fiver operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They've gone into liquidation if Wikipedia is correct https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Records From reading Facebook posts on the Liffey valley page, I don't think the staff knew they were going. I'd say they a bit annoyed now too.....

Very p*ss poor they even came to Galway if the companies finances were this sh*t they only had a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Very poor alright. " It is understood that vouchers bought for people as Christmas presents will no longer be honoured."... Thanks

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/01/06/news/head-shuts-record-store-in-belfast-as-company-goes-into-liquidation-1225995/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

VHI healthcare in Eyre Square beside O'Connells is no longer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Offtopic posts deleted.

This thread is for information to others about what shop have opened or closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I noticed as I was driving by that a new burger restaurant has opened opposite the hospital, Wholly Cow.

It's beside Tolteca and Jalan Jalan. Décor looks very nice. Reading up on it online I see they hand cut their own chips and make their own sauces and pickles. They also do "vegetarian" chips cooked in rapeseed oil and "regular" chips cooked in beef dripping. So a cut above your average burger place. I hope they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Reguarding The Fisherman I baught a voucher off them just before the Christmas, I rang them this evening to book a table and they said they are closed until the end of January so hopefully I haven’t wasted my money ��

I don't see how the new owners would honour them vouchers sadly. It'll be part of the duck group of restaurants(full duck/sitting duck)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭testtech05

D Trent wrote: »
    VHI healthcare in Eyre Square beside O'Connells is no longer

I see one of the buildings beside Tesco Express on the Headford road has a large VHI sign on it now, perhaps they have moved out there.

I don't see how the new owners would honour them vouchers sadly. It'll be part of the duck group of restaurants(full duck/sitting duck)

Given that the owners of the Fisherman have other businesses in Galway and presumably want to maintain customers goodwill, I would have assumed they would insist on the new owner taking on liabilties such as gift vouchers. If I was in possession of a Fisherman voucher which was not honoured, I would go straight round to the fish shop in the Galway Shopping Centre which the male half of the Fisherman owners is associated with. Otherwise I would call into Quay Dental in Woodquay which is owned by his wife. There can be absolutely no excuse for selling gift vouchers when you know you are closing the business.

As an aside, the Fisherman website and FB pages are still live. Is it possible that the owners decided on a change of direction and are going to be running the new restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

I noticed as I was driving by that a new burger restaurant has opened opposite the hospital, Wholly Cow.

It's beside Tolteca and Jalan Jalan. Décor looks very nice. Reading up on it online I see they hand cut their own chips and make their own sauces and pickles. They also do "vegetarian" chips cooked in rapeseed oil and "regular" chips cooked in beef dripping. So a cut above your average burger place. I hope they do well.

Have never had a 'gourmet' burger before, so tried here. Was nice enough, however, seemed expensive for what you got and staff seemed a bit confused.

Tried both types of chips, didnt taste much of a difference. The portion sizes for the chips were TINY for what you paid (especially if they put the chips into the same box as the burger). Overall was a bit disappointed, although I will say I tried them on their first or second day open, so hopefully room for improvement (especially with their chip portions!!!).

Have never had a 'gourmet' burger before, so tried here. Was nice enough, however, seemed expensive for what you got and staff seemed a bit confused.

Tried both types of chips, didnt taste much of a difference. The portion sizes for the chips were TINY for what you paid (especially if they put the chips into the same box as the burger). Overall was a bit disappointed, although I will say I tried them on their first or second day open, so hopefully room for improvement (especially with their chip portions!!!).

Thanks for the info. I think it’s fair to say that staff in a new restaurant usually seem confused so hopefully that will pass! Disappointing that the chip portions are so small, especially when they are charging separately for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks for the info. I think it’s fair to say that staff in a new restaurant usually seem confused so hopefully that will pass! Disappointing that the chip portions are so small, especially when they are charging separately for them.

I tried there today. They gave me their student special - €10 - even though I told them I wasn't a student.

Burger was lovely, chips portion was more than enough (and they were great), 7Up was, well... 7Up.

Staff seemed on the ball too. I'll definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Given that the owners of the Fisherman have other businesses in Galway and presumably want to maintain customers goodwill, I would have assumed they would insist on the new owner taking on liabilties such as gift vouchers. If I was in possession of a Fisherman voucher which was not honoured, I would go straight round to the fish shop in the Galway Shopping Centre which the male half of the Fisherman owners is associated with. Otherwise I would call into Quay Dental in Woodquay which is owned by his wife. There can be absolutely no excuse for selling gift vouchers when you know you are closing the business.

As an aside, the Fisherman website and FB pages are still live. Is it possible that the owners decided on a change of direction and are going to be running the new restaurant?

You would call into Quay Dental? Are you actually serious right now. I'm sure that would pan out just great.
    Selling the vouchers wasn't great but they do have the fish shops which would be under the same umbrella organisation so should be required to be honoured there but suggesting a different business is quite frankly nonsense.
    Purchase of the lease by another group may or may not have included an allowance towards outstanding vouchers, not uncommon in these scenarios. Best bet is call and ask... not in a crazy demanding way but in a polite enquiry fashion as new owners aren't responsible for what happened before they came in the door.

JnarF wrote: »
    You would call into Quay Dental? Are you actually serious right now. I'm sure that would pan out just great.
    Selling the vouchers wasn't great but they do have the fish shops which would be under the same umbrella organisation so should be required to be honoured there but suggesting a different business is quite frankly nonsense.
    Purchase of the lease by another group may or may not have included an allowance towards outstanding vouchers, not uncommon in these scenarios. Best bet is call and ask... not in a crazy demanding way but in a polite enquiry fashion as new owners aren't responsible for what happened before they came in the door.

I certainly am serious. If I had a €100 voucher for the restaurant and the fish shop wouldn’t give me a full refund I would pursue it further. By refund I mean a refund of the voucher value in cash or to the credit card used to purchase the voucher. Sorry but your proposal of €100 of raw fish wouldn’t work for me. I would want what I paid for or a refund, simples. Quite frankly, Galway is a small place and business owners can’t expect to treat customers shoddily and hide behind a “different” business.

I don’t think anyone would suggest acting ”in a crazy demanding way” with the new owners. They can’t be held responsible if the previous owners were shysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Even better, don't bother with vouchers. 40% of them are never redeemed so businesses love them. I'll never understand why people turn perfectly good legal tender into monopoly money that expires and is useless everywhere but one shop. On the occasions I do receive a voucher I treat it as if it's burning a hole in my pocket and try to get rid of it asap. On the other hand, my wife holds on to them for nearly a year and then has a treasure hunt trying to find them but still claims they're great as they're somehow guilt free. Really at this point if all you're doing is exchanging vouchers at Christmas you should just wire each other money or, if you're sending sending equal amounts, just not bother which is the same amount of thought that went into the voucher in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Have you actually asked them about the voucher and if they are giving refunds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 wildesonthebay

Dear customers,

The Fisherman Restaurant received torrential flooding in their basement during the very bad storm we endured in Salthill many weeks ago. As there was repair work to be done, the owner decided to change the direction of the restaurant altogether. There has been ongoing renovations as of recent, and the name has been changed to ‘Wilde’s on the Bay’. Nonetheless, we will of course honour all gift vouchers previously purchased in The Fisherman. It is still the same owner, staff etc. We hope to be back open and resuming to normal business in the coming fortnight.
    Any threats to other businesses such as ‘Quay Dental’ or our fish shop at The Galway Shopping Centre will not be tolerated as they are separate businesses.
    If there are any more questions, please chat to Wilde’s on the Bay’s Facebook page, that has been published for the last month, and we will be more than happy to deal with your queries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement