Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Crazy to think that in two weeks we'll already have the Wimbledon draw to be discussing! :D
    Will Serena be able to pull off the notoriously difficult RG-Wimbledon double?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martina Hingis is still hot! (ITV4), The French seem to have their own Le Barmy Army band.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Could there be any less hype for today's final? I honestly even forgot it was on at one point :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I have to be carefull here
    But no hope at all 3- 0 to Nadal .
    I might just stop watching tennis for 5 years , he should be off his best by then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Tony Ripe

They should really just give Rafa the trophy now, a waste of everyone's time and energy playing this final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I know it's early days, but Ferrer is doing pretty well so far. He doesn't seem intimidated or anything. He has some pretty great shots in his repertoire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

All over folks,well done Rafa.

Lets hope Wimbledon is more open.:(

Some crazy person running on court.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nadal averaged 4m ,or 13 feet behind the baseline when receiving in his match against Djokovic .
    Crazy stats ,couldn't do that on my local court ,I'd be up against the fence !

They badly need to speed the courts back up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats these protesters about? Flare just been set off at the mens final, apparently at the same time as one on one of the other courts, another protester high in the stand (missed it and only heard the commentator talking about it. And now Rafa looking rattled during the rest of the game.

Some crazy person running on court.

The person with the flare. Looked like he didn't even get a chance to run, grabbed and body slammed over the hordings by security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whats these protesters about? Flare just been set off at the mens final, apparently at the same time as one on one of the other courts, another protester high in the stand (missed it and only heard the commentator talking about it. And now Rafa looking rattled during the rest of the game.

Protesting against President Hollande apparently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Protesting at how boring the final is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Protesting at how boring the final is?

Can't blame him if that was true, I tapped out when Rafa won the first set, pleased that I lasted so long.

Just a waste of time which is a huge shame as I love watching a Slam final on a Sunday.:(

Apparently it was protests against the gay marriage law/bill that they passed or are in the process of passing in France at the moment?

Two people in the stands had a sign saying "France stomping on children's rights" or something to that effect.

They were on LongLong too.

BMU8MvLCYAEKiv3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Christ. Who payed the commentators to say this was one of the best French Opens in a long, especially on the women's side?????

Usually the women's RG is the most exciting of all the slams because it's so random, literally anyone could win it. This year it was as NID as the men's has been for the past 8 years.

Roll on Wimbledon. (where Rafa will be seeded 5th :) )

Usually the women's RG is the most exciting of all the slams because it's so random, literally anyone could win it. This year it was as NID as the men's has been for the past 8 years.

Roll on Wimbledon. (where Rafa will be seeded 5th :) )

Queens starts tomorrow.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Queens starts tomorrow.

I know, but we were talking about Slams ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Expected Serena and Rafa to win, to be honest. RG usually throws up loads of surprises- not much this year. Errani and Vinci (defending champs) were beaten in the final by Makarova/Vesnina, 7-5, 6-2. It's the Russian team's first Grand Slam.

Roll on the grass season!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

John.Icy wrote: »
    Christ. Who payed the commentators to say this was one of the best French Opens in a long, especially on the women's side?????

Was that on Eurosport by any chance ,they havent a clue .
    How Mats Wilander gets on tv is baffling ,for a guy who won so many majors he hasnt a clue ,constantly spouting nonsense .
    Give me Simon Reed and Frew McMillan anyday.

I thought Jim Courier was good on ITV; like their coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

Agree with on the Courier front, thought he did an awesome job and i liked his pre match analysis of the players throughout. I'm a massive murray fan and i missed him big time. Jst wasn't the same for me. Roll on queens. RG for me this year was just Blah....apart frm novak/rafa match.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I thought Jim Courier was good on ITV; like their coverage.

Because I have Setanta Ireland I could only get ITV's coverage on weekends when it was on ITV1, which is a shame. They had Davenport on too, who, in my opinion, is the best commentator out there. So well informed and professional. Hope she's on with BBC during Wimbledon.

Shame John Inverdale still can't tell the difference between a game and a match.

Fairly boring tournament, what I saw anyway. I'm excited about Wimbledon. Thinking of sticking a little bit of money on Federer to win it, he's 5th or 4th favourite. I like Lindsay Davenport's commentary too.

Oh yeah! I remember Lindsay doing Today at Wimbledon with Johnny Inverdale and Boris; she was really good!! I think she's back this year. She tweeted earlier in the week about her family's "big European adventure". Hope that means she'll be around for Wimbledon!

ITV had a great selection of commentators this year- Santoro, Courier, Davenport. Not too shabby!!

I think Davenport works primarily for Tennis Channel or whatever it's called but she squeezes in the odd bit of freelance whenever she gets a chance, so hopefully she'll be on a bit. Hope the BBC don't bother with McEnroe this year, such a tool. Some of the stuff he was coming out with on the US commentary at RG was ridiculous. Loves the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Immediately thought/hoped those were anti-doping protesters at first.

Nadal is a laughable at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Nadal dominating in a tournament after coming back from a seven month injury, unbelievable.

Also Serena, in the best condition of her career at 31, winning the womens making it a double, the two most unbelievable players in tennis.

Truly a great day for the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement