Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options
  • 22-05-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Not long left til the second Grand Slam kicks off! Here's hoping for some surprises and shocks.:)

Starting on a low note though imo. Both Murray and del Potro have withdrawn. Murray's back is still causing pain & Delpo is suffering from bronchial spasm. Both players reached last year's QFs so they'll be losing out on ranking points, 360 points afaik.

So.......Nadal & Serena for the titles??:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Really not excited about this at all, especially the men's side.

Nadal winning this without breaking sweat is an amazing accomplishment but for fans its boring, no tension and that is what sport should be about.

Even a Nadal v Djokovic final doesn't excite me that much, I just want to see someone different in the mix.

Ladies side is a bit more open, but while Serena is an undoubted legend, I can't warm to her and Azrenka is a spoiled brat. I have money on her so I want her to win though:D

The rest? Aggy is in no form, Stosur or Kvitova have not done much recently while Sharpova missed last week because of illness, hope she is ok, actually warmed to her compared to Aza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Draws were made this morning.

On the men's side, Djokovic and Nadal could meet in the SFs. The Serb will be hoping to win the only Grand Slam that's alluded him so far and David Goffin awaits him in the first round. For me, two players stick out in his quarter- Dimitrov is a potential 3rd round opponent and Haas is lurking further down the draw. Both can give Djokovic a good test and all eyes will be especially on Dimitrov to see if he can pull off another win over The Djoker.
    Federer is in the same half as Ferrer & Berdych and could play either of those players in the SFs. He'll begin his campaign for an 18th GS against a qualifier.
    Due to Murray's withdrawal, Nadal has been given the #3 seed; the Spaniard will begin the defence of his title against Daniel Brands.

On the women's side, top seeds Serena & Maria are on opposite sides of the draw; Kerber, Aga and Errani are in the American's half of the draw (she won't lose sleep over that I'd say), whereas Azarenka, Li, Stosur and Kvitova are in the Russian's side. Speaking of Maria, she's begin her defence against Su-Wei Hsieh. Kvitova/Stosur could be her QF opponent; she's played each of them twice on clay and won them all.
    Serena will be hoping for a better run than last year; she'll play Anna Tatishvili in the opening round. Her recent form has been unbelievable and she's the overwhelming favourite for the title. In about 15 days, we'll probably be seeing Serena lifting the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen...unless someone pulls off a surprise.
    Azarenka will be hoping for a better result than last year when she was beaten in straights by Cibulkova. She can go a step towards a calendar GS but it's doubtful.

One particular match that catches the eye is Laura Robson vs. Caroline Wozniacki in the first round. Woz has been having a horrible run of results and Robson likes to collect big name scalps! I wouldn't bet against Laura adding another to her collection.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Easy draw for Serena, it's really up to her now. Potential banana skin in the quarter finals against Kuznetsova, apart from that I wouldn't be worried. I think she may struggle in the first week, but if she gets to the second week she'll win it.

On the mens side, I really hope we see a surprise of some form. Dream situation would be Tsonga to get his first grand slam title. In reality though I can't see past Rafa steamrolling his way through the draw for a record 8th title.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »
    One particular match that catches the eye is Laura Robson vs. Caroline Wozniacki in the first round. Woz has been having a horrible run of results and Robson likes to collect big name scalps! I wouldn't bet against Laura adding another to her collection.

Probably the most difficult R1 draw Woz has had for a while and yet she's lost in R1 quite a lot. Could be another early exit or Laura could flop, she seems to do better as the underdog. Probably the most interesting R1 match up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah I'd say Laura will beat Woz alright... Wozniacki has won just one match throughout the entire clay court season this year!

• Advertisement

Will miss Delpo, he's my second fave after Tsonga. Not sure I'll miss Murray much but it is funny that after all the hooha about whether they should change Rafa's seed for him he ends up as the #3 seed anyway.

I see Tomic is in the draw so he must be intending to play. Will be interesting to see what kind of reaction the French crowd give him, they're notoriously rude anyway but given it was a French guy that his dad assaulted they could get ugly. Lucky for him he'll probably be way out on some tiny court and unlikely to progress very far, he's terrible on clay.

Delpo is a big loss; he seems fairly popular wherever he goes and he's good on the clay. Missing RG will hopefully be good for Murray. He's got more points to defend at Wimbledon and clay is not his best surface....even though he spent years in Spain training. BTW, is this the same back injury that's been troubling him since around 2011?

On the bright side for Tomic, his dad won't be there. Could you imagine John's reaction if the French crowd give his son a hard time??

Delpo is a big loss; he seems fairly popular wherever he goes and he's good on the clay. Missing RG will hopefully be good for Murray. He's got more points to defend at Wimbledon and clay is not his best surface....even though he spent years in Spain training. BTW, is this the same back injury that's been troubling him since around 2011?

On the bright side for Tomic, his dad won't be there. Could you imagine John's reaction if the French crowd give his son a hard time??

Tomic's father may not be there but apparently he's still Bernard's coach behind the scenes :(

Preliminary schedule for Sunday announced, Serena the only big gun playing.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Yellow Lobster

What a dream draw for Federer, he actually has a chance of winning the French Open if he can find his best form. Djokovic is easily capable of beating Nadal in the semi final and then Federer is capable of beating Djokovic in the final. If Nadal were in half is chances would be non existent.

What a dream draw for Federer, he actually has a chance of winning the French Open if he can find his best form. Djokovic is easily capable of beating Nadal in the semi final and then Federer is capable of beating Djokovic in the final. If Nadal were in half is chances would be non existent.

I don't agree that Novak is "easily" capable of beating Nadal, but I certainly agree overall that if Novak can indeed take out Rafa, then Roger has a shot at winning. I don't really root for Roger normally but I'd be happy to see him win in Paris, it would throw a real curveball in the mix!

• Advertisement

So weird hearing Serena speak French :pac:

She sounded quite good too, proper pronunciation and all. I was enjoying it until Inverdale cut it off.

Tough loss for Hewitt, winning five games in a row to bring it back to 5-5, then losing eight points in a row to lose 7-5 :o
    Great win for Monica Puig, knocking out Petrova. Hope she gets Madison Keys in the 2nd round, would be an interesting match.

Oh Venus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Taped 9 hours of Itv 1 coverage expecting Itv to show the Nadal match. No joy, was it on Itv 4?

How do I get the order of play for Itv and Itv 4 coverage ?

Fiskar wrote: »
    Taped 9 hours of Itv 1 coverage expecting Itv to show the Nadal match. No joy, was it on Itv 4?

How do I get the order of play for Itv and Itv 4 coverage ?

I don't think you can? At the early stages of the slams there's so many matches they can't really have a schedule of what they show. I'm sure Nadal was on ITV earlier because at one point the 4 channels I have showing it were all showing Nadal, bar ES2.

Nice win for Monfils, knocking Berdych out! Raging I missed it.:( He's playing Gulbis in the next round. I wonder what Gulbis will show up.
    Surprised Wozniacki beat Robson...and in straight sets! Was expecting a more competitive match. Kinda disappointed.
    Djokovic-Goffin is 2nd on Chatrier tomorrow. I hope it'll be a good match; Goffin played so well last year.

Wozniacki match was surprising, Robson was awful, but Caro also gave nothing away.. a very good match by her. She also doesn't have the toughest draw imaginable, if she finds a bit of form a quarter-final showing isn't completely out of the question.

Yeah Laura was pretty poor. She's not good on clay anyway but she just wasn't there today. Played some really great stuff for the first 4 or 5 games but then just disappeared. Shame for her, she could have gotten a seed for Wimbledon with a better run, tough draw for her really, despite Woz's form she's still a top player.

• Advertisement

A good few seeds are gone already: Petrova, Venus, Berdych, Makarova, Monaco, Granollers, Goerges, Paszek, Dolgopolov, Mayer, Wozniacki, Pavy, Zakopalova and Safarova.

Heather Watson played a good match against Voegle. She just couldn't capitalise in the 3rd set, probably begin to tire. Glad to see her back. Another good win for Monfils! He'll play Tommy Robredo for a place in the 4th round. I'd fancy his chances in this match; he'd be feeling good from his wins and has nothing to lose.

Haas-Sock could be one to watch tomorrow. The veteran vs. the up-start. Sock wouldn't be the best on the clay but he had a great win over Garcia-Lopez in R1. He's got really good ground strokes & a decent serve Haas is seemingly invincible- coming back from hip and shoulder injuries that would retire the average player. It's last on Court 2 tomorrow. Hope it'll be shown on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Itv 4 showed a great match with local favorite Monfils v Gulis with Monfils into round 3. Needs to be a killer at the net and play the open court to progress.

Heather Watson played a good match against Voegle. She just couldn't capitalise in the 3rd set, probably begin to tire. Glad to see her back.

Funny how it only took Heather a few weeks to recover from glandular fever, or mono as our American friends call it. It took McHale a few months last year, and Soderling's been out for nearly two years with it!
    Fiskar wrote: »
    Itv 4 showed a great match with local favorite Monfils v Gulis with Monfils into round 3. Needs to be a killer at the net and play the open court to progress.

Monfils makes me so angry. He expends so much unnecessary energy playing stupid shots and running around like an idiot. He could wrap up matches so much quicker than he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Funny how it only took Heather a few weeks to recover from glandular fever, or mono as our American friends call it. It took McHale a few months last year, and Soderling's been out for nearly two years with it!

It's a really strange fever like that. I have on friend who got it over Christmas and was out for 6 weeks and another who got it over two and half years ago and they are still battling it. It seems quite prevalent among tennis players, I wonder if its anything to do with the lifestyle.

The two Monfils matches have been the most enjoyable so far. The big three women have all looked pretty solid so far. On the mens side it was nice to see Goffin raise his game at the French Open again as from what I can gather he hasn't had a great year, I feel really sorry for him with the draw he got seeing as he stood to lose a lot of ranking points. Ferrer seems to be playing very well and I could definitely see him reaching the final if he can play some of his best tennis.

Anyone know off the top of their head who Tsonga is set to meet in the quarters?

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Anyone know off the top of their head who Tsonga is set to meet in the quarters?

I believe it's Federer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I believe it's Federer.

That could be interesting, would love to see Tsonga or Ferrer in the final!

Mattek-Sands knocked out Li Na in 3 sets 5-7, 6-3, 6-2. Great win for the American. She's got a good chance of reaching the 4th round for the first time. Her next opponent is Paula Ormaechea; they've played once before on clay with Paula winning that. I'd favour Bethanie this time after her big win.

Jankovic-Stosur will meet in the 3rd round, possibly on Saturday. They've played 8 times previously, with Jankovic leading the H2H 6-2. However, they've met twice on clay and have one win each. Last meeting was in Stuttgart this year; Jankovic won in straight sets. Hoping for a good match. Both players look good and haven't really been troubled thus far. Not sure who to favour in this one tbh.

Mattek-Sands knocked out Li Na in 3 sets 5-7, 6-3, 6-2. Great win for the American. She's got a good chance of reaching the 4th round for the first time. Her next opponent is Paula Ormaechea; they've played once before on clay with Paula winning that. I'd favour Bethanie this time after her big win.

Jankovic-Stosur will meet in the 3rd round, possibly on Saturday. They've played 8 times previously, with Jankovic leading the H2H 6-2. However, they've met twice on clay and have one win each. Last meeting was in Stuttgart this year; Jankovic won in straight sets. Hoping for a good match. Both players look good and haven't really been troubled thus far. Not sure who to favour in this one tbh.

I'm really happy for Bethanie, but a bit bemused for Li Na. Are there any lingering injuries still, or has she just been playing poorly recently? Either way, glad for Bethanie, and if she can get past Ormaechea then I'd say she's got a decent shot at the quarter finals. Would be delighted for her if she did! Apparently she's after adopting a gluten-free diet too, which is apparently contributing to her resurgence.

Jankovic-Stosur will be interesting, hoping Jankovic can pull off the win! She's been playing so well recently. A lot of good matches tomorrow, hopefully things will get a bit more interesting now. RG has been a bit flat so far, in my opinion :o

Jankovic-Stosur will be interesting, hoping Jankovic can pull off the win! She's been playing so well recently. A lot of good matches tomorrow, hopefully things will get a bit more interesting now. RG has been a bit flat so far, in my opinion :o

That's because even after 5 days of play they haven't gotten past the second round yet! Such a joke this year.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I thought Sorana might at least take 4 or 5 games off of Serena :o
    She's seemingly unstoppable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement