Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Looks like we're in for the Novak-Rafa semi final. Yes! Who you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I find Djokovic-Nadal matches kinda boring. Their rallies can be good, but are dragged out imo. If they reach the SF, I'll probably watch it but I won't be glued to it like other matches. Poor Stan. Just start preparing yourself for the grass season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

walshb wrote: »
    Looks like we're in for the Novak-Rafa semi final. Yes! Who you got?

Would prefer Novak to win because a final between Rafa and Ferrer scares me by how dull and obvious it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I seem to be in the minority, but I love Nadal v Djokovic matches. I love how much of the match is psychological and how important momentum is and how much it can change. I hope Djokovic wins or else the final will be borefest.

The other semi final should be pretty entertaining. Neither has won a Grand Slam and both would represent a new face in the final (I know Tsonga reached the AO final in 2008 but that was before the big 4 had a stranglehold on the finalist places). Both will also think that due to their opponent this is the best chance they have of winning a grand slam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm rooting for Tsonga to go all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm rooting for Tsonga to go all the way!

Me too.

I'd prefer Djokovic/Tsonga in the final. I could just about accept Jo not winning if it meant Novak getting his career slam.

The women's tournament in general has been quite dull up until the QF's, where the men's was the opposite.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Regarding tomorrows matches, I'm picking Sharapova in two sets, and Errani to win 6 games off of Serena :P

Azarenka off to a great start.

Sharapova's first serve isn't too great. She's getting a handle on it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The roaring going on in the Sharapova Azarenka match is like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around in a barrell :D

The roaring going on in the Sharapova Azarenka match is like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around in a barrell :D

I have it muted, have the beautiful strains of the Stone Roses playing over it instead! :)

Azarenka getting back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bloody hell Sharapova, she sure does things the difficult way! So happy she's in the final :D

Sharapova takes it. Thought she looked pretty poor from time to time though and I think the rain delay really hindered Azarenka just when she was starting to build up some momentum.

Serena doing a demolition job on Errani, it's like watching her practice. She's just physically too much. 6-0 in the first set in about 20 minutes.

Serena doing a demolition job on Errani, it's like watching her practice. She's just physically too much. 6-0 in the first set in about 20 minutes.

It's crazy isn't it? Serena's hitting partner Sascha would probably give her a better match!

I think I would feel robbed if I'd paid for a ticket to see this.

That was pitiful for Errani, but I don't think anyone could have beaten Serena today, she must be the greatest female player of all time. Not a good showcase for the women's game at all though, not that I've found the men's particularly riveting either. Possibly the dullest latter half of a tournament I've seen in a long time.

I think Serena will beat Sharapova in the final. She's just too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I only saw the end of the Williams match and to be honest it pretty pitiful. Williams is a great player but the womens game would be so much better without her. Her matches are very rarely enjoyable viewing and when ever I have the choice of her match or someones else's, the other match wins every time. To put it simply she is too good.

I haven't been able to see as much of the French Open as I would have liked but from what I have seen it has not been a particularly exciting or memorable tournament. The hilight for me so far is probably the Isner v Haas match. Tsonga v Ferrer could be a great match if neither chokes under the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think Serena will beat Sharapova in the final. She's just too good.

She will destroy her .

Serena is very machine-like. She very rarely seems to make any mistakes. I think too though that there is just a lack of competition in the women's game right now. There's no one really there to challenge her. I guess Sharapova is in with a shout, but even then I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena win it in straight sets. There doesn't seem to be anyone coming up to match her.

Most of the problem with the Serena-Sharapova match-up is that Maria is beaten before she even steps on the court. If Maria can somehow get Serena out of her head, then she has a chance, just like we saw in the Miami final. However, it's a big, big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Serena is very machine-like. She very rarely seems to make any mistakes. I think too though that there is just a lack of competition in the women's game right now. There's no one really there to challenge her. I guess Sharapova is in with a shout, but even then I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena win it in straight sets. There doesn't seem to be anyone coming up to match her.

Sharapova has no chance ,her game is meat and drink for Williams.
    Sharapova is weak mentally and hasnt beaten Serena in 9 years .
    It will be a procession.

• Advertisement

Sharapova has no chance ,her game is meat and drink for Williams.
    Sharapova is weak mentally and hasnt beaten Serena in 9 years .
    It will be a procession.

Only when it comes to Serena. I don't think you could call her weak mentally in any other aspect.

I did see her mention in her press conference today that it bothers her that she always loses, and that her game obviously doesn't work against Serena so she has to try something different. If she means what she's saying it's progress for her because not that long ago a journo asked her a similar question and she seemed offended at the thought of even acknowledging that her game doesn't work against Serena.

Her serve will need to be 100% on Saturday to even be in with a shot. It was terrible today, it was a blessing that Vika's was worse.

Her serve will need to be 100% on Saturday to even be in with a shot. It was terrible today, it was a blessing that Vika's was worse.

It really was poor. Serena won't let her away with the kind of mistakes she made today.

Basically, Sharapova will need to play the best match of her career thus far to beat Serena.

Although this match feels very different, nobody is even entertaining the idea that Sharapova might put up a fight to Serena. Serena will probably actually feel more pressure than Sharapova will though.

It's something like 10 years since Serena was even in the final of RG, so it's possible her nerves will be worse. If that's the case Maria needs to capitalize on it from the get go and put everything away.

Worse case scenario is that it's windy on Saturday. Then it won't matter how nervous Serena is, Maria's serve will be gone and it'll be a beat down.

I've gotten so used to it now that I don't even pretend to believe it might be different. Even in Miami when it went to 3 I never thought she'd actually pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭BV4

Poor call there from the umpire cost Novak a break. I don't see why they don't just use hawk-eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree. Disgraceful that the call was let stand.

I'm not watching this but it seems like a cracker. Hope Novak takes it to a decider.

Tie break in the 4th. Nadal served for the match at 6/5 and Novak broke him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Would love to be watching this, sounds like a cracker

• Advertisement

3 set points to Novak!

Yes, we have a 5th set!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement