Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

"Messi??"
    "Hey kid!"
    "Kobe Bryant???"

Make it stop!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I love Jo...but Christ if he loses in 3 to Ferrer...after destroying, granted a poor enough, Federer in 3..I'll be royally pissed off that I miss out on a Federer/Nadal final because he got the jipes.

If anyone finds Tsonga's game, could you return it to RG? Not the same person that beat Federer.

RosyLily wrote: »
    If anyone finds Tsonga's game, could you return it to RG? Not the same person that beat Federer.

Over 50 unforced errors!

Ferrer is the Azarenka/Sharapova of the mens game. Utterly awful to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Such a boring match. Although after the Nadal/Djokovic anything would be boring. Feel a bit cheated that Federer got knocked out for this though.

Ah nice to see David so happy.

But the crowd jeered Tsonga off the court.

Flipping tools.

The French crowd are awful.

Quite surprised Tsonga went out with a whimper. I think it was a combination of the occasion and him not being able to handle Ferrer's game.

All-Spanish final. Nadal is now 1/10 to win on PaddyPower.

Jeeezzz, that crowd are awful!! Tsonga probably feels bad enough without being jeered off court.:mad:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't even watch the final set. Can't believe the crowd would boo Tsonga :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RosyLily wrote: »

Thats the problem with Tsonga and his aggressive brand of tennis.
    When its good its very very good but when its bad its horrid.
    He played out of his skin against Federer but was rubbish today.

Would have been nice to see a Federer - Nadal final but being objective Federer would do well to even get one set .
    His single handed backhand has no chance against Nadal's spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm really happy that Ferrer has reached the final. He has been a great player over the last few years and is one of the top players who plays in some of the smaller tournaments.. I'm really glad that he has now reached a GS final.

However the final is going to be pretty straightforward, unlikely it will be anything but Rafa in straight sets.

Well Ferrer has pushed Nadal to three sets in their last two matches this year on clay. Could have won it in Rome.

He could get a set. It won't be as bad as last year's FO match between them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well Ferrer has pushed Nadal to three sets in their last two matches this year on clay. Could have won it in Rome.

He could get a set. It won't be as bad as last year's FO match between them!

Very interesting Semi-finals. First was like a war zone with two gladiators trying to eliminate each other at all cost. As a Nadal fan, I am very glad he won. The second was just very disappointing to say the least- I knew David was going to win but I thought it will be in 4 or 5 sets. The match was just over 2 hours, at that point, Nadal and Novak were still in the middle of the 3rd set.

Interesting you say Ferrer has pushed Nadal in recent weeks because I actually think he has improved a lot and desperate to win the FO. The most important element to this is regardless of the outcome on Sunday- Nadal becomes No 5 and Ferrer will be No 4. I wonder how that will affect seedings at Wimbledon.

I am aware Wimbledon officials do not stringently follow the rankings but we could potentially have Nadal as the Number 5 seed. That will be very interesting indeed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

BV4 wrote: »
    Poor call there from the umpire cost Novak a break. I don't see why they don't just use hawk-eye?

In order for hawkeye to be used the margin for error has to be within a certain range. Quite a small range, as you'd imagine. For whatever reason, on clay, the ball bounces differently and the margin for error is too high.

Why TV channels insist on using it to look at replays I don't know. It's not accurate. There was a call during Sharapova/Jankovic the other day that the hawkeye replay said was in but on the slow mo replays of the actual footage it was clearly out.

Anyway.... I can't imagine two less interesting finals. I love Sharapova but she's not going to trouble Serena, and I can't stand either Nadal or Ferrer these days. Plus it's going to be such a f**king grunt fest between them. Will be interesting to see how often Sharapova's noise gets mentioned compared to Nadal and Ferrer's. I'm guessing theirs won't be brought up at all.

Roll on grass season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep apart from today's game and Gasquet v Stan, its been an incredibly dull few weeks. Respect both ladies for their achievements but have no fondness for either, Serena is pretty unlikable while Maria's game is quite one dimensional.

On the men, I won't watch because the result is not in doubt, Rafa leads Ferrer 15-1 on clay, and Ferrer's only win was back in 2007. It will be one sided and will have no tension.:(

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F401&oId=N409

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yep apart from today's game and Gasquet v Stan, its been an incredibly dull few weeks. Respect both ladies for their achievements but have no fondness for either, Serena is pretty unlikable while Maria's game is quite one dimensional.

I didn't even thing today's match was that good. The last set was fine but Novak wasn't there in the first and third, they were completely one sided.

I think Federer/Simon and then Stan/Gasquet were the only two matches that were actually good for the whole match. Sveta/Serena was good in parts. The rest, men's and women's were a snooze fest.

Both Nadal and Serena will plough through. I've a lot of respect for Serena, but she has no personality on court. I like Nadal's drive, but again, not a huge fan of him either and I don't see Ferrer really having any chance there.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Serena has no personality on court?! Baffled by that comment. I don't think you could encounter a more passionate player than Serena on court!

Serena has no personality on court?! Baffled by that comment. I don't think you could encounter a more passionate player than Serena on court!

I don't find her that interesting to watch and I certainly don't get as drawn into her games as I do others. I think Nadal, even though I'm not his biggest fan, is ten times more visibly passionate and has much more of an on-court personality than Serena. I'm not saying that she doesn't care, clearly she does, I just don't find her that interesting to watch.

• Advertisement

About an hour and a half till the massacre begins!
    Well I hope it won't be a massacre anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

DELETED BY MOD

I've deleted posts like this twice before. Last warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

the_monkey wrote: »
    Such s shame , I knew even when Djokovic was 4-2 up the drugged up little dirty cheat would win .
    He blackens the game he's a vile little rat , he's 27 he should be starting to decline in the next few years , it can't come soon enough , it actually puts me off playing

Moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

the_monkey wrote: »
    Such a shame , I knew even when Djokovic was 4-2 up the drugged up little dirty cheat would win .
    He blackens the game , he's a vile little rat , he's 27 he should be starting to decline in the next few years , it can't come soon enough , it actually puts me off playing

IMO, there is no place for such hate here, it lowers the whole tone.

I'd love to see Maria give us something to cheer for today, it would be fantastic to see a three set game !

Serena won it pretty easily in the end. Nothing too exciting about it.

Serena speaks French???

Decent effort from Sharapova. How she still goes on court against Serena after 9 years of losses amazes me. She's actually improved since the Olympic final beat down. I hate to see her lose, especially to Serena, but you can't deny she's the best player. Maria didn't play badly today, she played better in the 2nd set than she has for a long time against Serena, but Serena stepped it up too. Which in a way is good to see. So many people moan that Serena never even gets out of 1st gear when she's playing. Maria made her at least go into 2nd today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Serena won it pretty easily in the end. Nothing too exciting about it.

Serena speaks French???

Yeah she started learning French after she got a new coach who is French. They are also dating as well.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Yeah she started learning French after she got a new coach who is French. They are also dating as well.

Hope that doesn't end in tears.

Gutsy stuff from Sharapova, she didn't really do much wrong today, Serena was just too good.
    What's also terrible for Maria is she's probably playing the best tennis of her career, yet she's not receiving much acknowledgement for it cause she's being upstaged by Serena for so much of it! Miami final, Madrid final, and now RG :(
    I'd love her to win a slam this year, but it's really not looking likely with the way Serena is steamrolling everyone left right and centre!

• Advertisement

Gutsy stuff from Sharapova, she didn't really do much wrong today, Serena was just too good.
    What's also terrible for Maria is she's probably playing the best tennis of her career, yet she's not receiving much acknowledgement for it cause she's being upstaged by Serena for so much of it! Miami final, Madrid final, and now RG :(
    I'd love her to win a slam this year, but it's really not looking likely with the way Serena is steamrolling everyone left right and centre!

Since Wimbledon 2011 she's been in 4 Slam finals and 2 SF out of 6 Slams, and an Olympic final. She is doing so well, but as you say, Serena upstages all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement