Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I don't get why French Open have 3 days of first round matches scheduled! It should put them on 2 days like Wimbledon. Then if the weather is dire, nobody panics. Having 1R over 4 days due to rain would be disastrous!!

Monfils had 4 MPs against Robredo...lost them all! All square atm, 6-6. TB just starting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Raging I missed Isner/Harrison earlier. Disappointed with the final score too. Looks like Harry tanked it for 2 sets.

The two matches I was most looking forward to tomorrow (Djokovic-Dimitrov and Jankovic-Stosur) are the matches on last on Chatrier and Lenglen!!!:mad::mad:

Stupid family gathering!!!:mad:

Edit: Don't like the blonde hair on Aga. Hope she changes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Looking forward to Stan v Jerzy myself and seeing if Nishi can do the near impossible and beat Paire:eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That down-the-line slice winner by Sharapova was beautiful. Hilarious to think how adept she is at playing on clay now :D

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Stan v Jerzy myself and seeing if Nishi can do the near impossible and beat Paire:eek:

Nishi did it. Paire showed quite a bit of his old self there, couching violations, shouting at the umpire, being an all round mental case. Still. He showed a lot more focus for the most of his matches. Interesting to see how he goes from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,763 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just heard that Rafa and Novak will meet in the semis if both progress. That's great. Can't wait.

Mattek-Sands is through to her first R16 at Roland Garros. She earlier beat Ormaechea in 3 sets 4-6, 6-1, 6-3. Bethanie will play either Kirilenko or Voegele next; could well be Maria as she just took the first set on a TB.

French hope Bartoli lost in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) to 2010 champion Schiavone. Ouch! The Italian will play Azarenka next, who didn't look great in her match earlier today. Frankie could get a win over her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

walshb wrote: »
    Just heard that Rafa and Novak will meet in the semis if both progress. That's great. Can't wait.

I thought the semis would be 1st seed vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd?

I thought the semis would be 1st seed vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd?

The top 2 seeds are put in the draw first in separate halves. The #3 and #4 seeds are drawn randomly next. So it's random which half they end up in. Could get 1 vs 3, 2 vs 4 or 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3.

• Advertisement

Its been an underwhelming start to the week sadly for me, Monfils to his credit provided a lot of entertainment and surprises but not much else really.

Lets be honest, Nadal and Djokovic is a nailed on semi and I can't see Tsonga beating Federer, maybe Almagro or the fast improving Anderson can defeat Ferrer.

Women's side has been dull but at least their is a few possible upsets on the cards, Azarenka or Maria could be beaten and if the Gods on her side, maybe and its a small maybe Vinci could trouble Serena.

Lets hope next week is more exciting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Fogini and Monfils are the interesting characters, as usual.

The death of Nadal has begun.

With Djoko injured, and Federer a geriatric, my money is on Tsonga.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Serena to face Kuznetsova in the quarters, that will be a tricky one. If Serena can win then the title is surely hers.

Almagro so much more natural ability than most, but no bottle. Mental midget.

Well done Robredo on beating him but I can't see how he beats Ferrer.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Almagro so much more natural ability than most, but no bottle. Mental midget.

Well done Robredo on beating him but I can't see how he beats Ferrer.

Oh. I guess what I'm looking at on Setanta isn't live?

Have to think that the Tsonga/Federer (presumably) QF will be the one to watch, and probably winner of that makes F?

Would love to see Kuznetsova take to Serena in the QFs...maybe even beat her. Svetlana has only won 2 of her 8 matches against Serena, but they are 1-1 on clay and they haven't played each other since 2009. I hope it's a good match; women's side has been a bit meh for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Feds lost this game. His head seems gone. Won't recover. Only 3rd set and Simon only one break up, but I can just feel that's Feds gone. Can he recover!?!

Pity. Tsonga will flippin trounce Simon.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong but I dunno...seems nervous after the fall.

Can't believe what I'm seeing after that first set!

Fed has self destructed...and Simon is free to look very good.

I hate Simon.

On the one hand I'd rather Jo didn't have to play Federer, but on the other I hate Simon!

Radwanska/Ivanovic probably won't get on tonight, or won't get finished, unless Simon runs away with this in the 4th.

Federer/Simon match is going pretty quickly. 4 sets finished and they've only been on court for a little over 2 hours.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't have doubted Fed...but god he nearly let that one go! Break back point while serving for the match! Heart was in my mouth. Serious serving by Roger in that last game.

Hard luck Edward Cullen!

Aggy is not as cute with the crappy blonde hair:(

Her hair is not just blonde,it's BLONDE!! Too harsh on her imo.

I thought Schiavone would give Azarenka a better challenge than that. 6-3, 6-0. Not good for a former French Open champion. Vika will play the winner of Mattek-Sands and Kirilenko in the QFs; that match is going on serve atm, 5-5 all in the first set.

Tommy Haas created his own bit of history earlier in beating Youzhny. He's in his first ever Roland Garros QF, thus completing his set of Grand Slam QFs. He is the first German man since Stich & Karbacher to reach the quarters in 17 years. And he's the oldest Slam quarter-finalist since Agassi at 2005 U.S. Open. Go Tommy!!:)

More concentration at key moments for Kohlschreiber and that match could have been quite different. Ah well. Would be amazing if Haas could pull off a win in the quarters!

Sloane has actually turned up, this should be a good match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Can someone update me on how the tournament has been so far? Been super busy with college, so haven't had a chance to watch any matches. Any really good matches so far, or any surprises?

Can someone update me on how the tournament has been so far? Been super busy with college, so haven't had a chance to watch any matches. Any really good matches so far, or any surprises?

Nothing unusual to report. Serena's demolishing opponents, Masha's been good, Djokovic and Nadal have been good and bad and Federer was pushed all the way by Simon yesterday. Biggest surprise for me was Monfils taking out Berdych in the first round.

Wawrinka-Gasquet match has been the best match so far imo. Such a great match!!! Amazing winners from both players, loads of them hitting the lines. Stan came back from 2 sets down to win it. 6-7, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, 8-6

Men's QFs: Djokovic-Haas, Wawrinka-Nadal, Ferrer-Robredo, Tsonga-Federer
    Women's QFs: Williams-Kuznetsova, Radwanska-Errani, Azarenka-Kirilenko, Jankovic OR Hampton-Sharapova

Jankovic-Hampton is on right now. Jelena 5-0 in first set. Been pleasantly surprised by the Serbian; she's in good form.

3 matches to look out for tomorrow: Aga-Errani followed by Tsonga-Federer on Chatrier from 1pm and Robredo-Ferrer on Lenglen.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,763 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gasquet's 5th time in a slam to lose a 2 set lead:eek: Some breathtaking one handed backhand winners today from both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RosyLily wrote: »
    Nothing unusual to report. Serena's demolishing opponents, Masha's been good, Djokovic and Nadal have been good and bad and Federer was pushed all the way by Simon yesterday. Biggest surprise for me was Monfils taking out Berdych in the first round.

Wawrinka-Gasquet match has been the best match so far imo. Such a great match!!! Amazing winners from both players, loads of them hitting the lines. Stan came back from 2 sets down to win it. 6-7, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, 8-6

Men's QFs: Djokovic-Haas, Wawrinka-Nadal, Ferrer-Robredo, Tsonga-Federer
    Women's QFs: Williams-Kuznetsova, Radwanska-Errani, Azarenka-Kirilenko, Jankovic OR Hampton-Sharapova

Jankovic-Hampton is on right now. Jelena 5-0 in first set. Been pleasantly surprised by the Serbian; she's in good form.

3 matches to look out for tomorrow: Aga-Errani followed by Tsonga-Federer on Chatrier from 1pm and Robredo-Ferrer on Lenglen.

Unlikely that Federer will win it outright then, I guess? Hasn't Tsonga proved to be a little tricky for him in the past? Could be a good match, that one, might try and catch it tomorrow. I'm still thinking of sticking a little bet on Federer for Wimbledon. He's 9/2 on Paddy Power, which I think are pretty good odds. I'm still quietly confident he has the better of Murray and Djokovic on grass. I'd be a bit concerned about Nadal if he's in good form, but it could be worth a small bet!

I love Wawrinka! I think he's a great player, and his matches always seem to be quite exciting. Could be a decent match against Nadal. I'm glad he's having a good run.

Is Serena looking like she's going to win it then? It's amazing how strong she still is after all these years. It's like she's been around forever. How is Sharapova looking? She's been very hit and miss in the past. Surprised to see Jankovic back on form. Haven't heard anything about her in a long time, I've always thought she was better than what she's achieved though, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Unlikely that Federer will win it outright then, I guess? Hasn't Tsonga proved to be a little tricky for him in the past? Could be a good match, that one, might try and catch it tomorrow. I'm still thinking of sticking a little bet on Federer for Wimbledon. He's 9/2 on Paddy Power, which I think are pretty good odds. I'm still quietly confident he has the better of Murray and Djokovic on grass. I'd be a bit concerned about Nadal if he's in good form, but it could be worth a small bet!

Hard to know with Federer. Tsonga has proved a tough customer for him in the past. They've played once on clay which Federer won but that was in 2011. Will be interesting to see who the crowd will support. French love Fed and Jo.
    I love Wawrinka! I think he's a great player, and his matches always seem to be quite exciting. Could be a decent match against Nadal. I'm glad he's having a good run.

Great match from Stan. He was the fresher player by the end of it. Hope he has enough in the tank for Nadal.
    Is Serena looking like she's going to win it then? It's amazing how strong she still is after all these years. It's like she's been around forever. How is Sharapova looking? She's been very hit and miss in the past. Surprised to see Jankovic back on form. Haven't heard anything about her in a long time, I've always thought she was better than what she's achieved though, if that makes sense.

Looking like it's Serena's title. Someone will have to do something special to beat her. Masha hasn't dropped a set, looking in good form. She should beat JJ in QFs. Aza (who only started to play well today against Schiavone) will probably be her SF opponent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement