Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So good to see Stan playing well all year. I was worried his performance in Australia would be a one off, but he's done it again. Rafa has looked iffy his first few matches, but I think the psychological effect of playing Rafa will be the main issue for Stan. He's good enough to beat him, but is he mentally strong enough?

Looking forward to Tsonga/Federer. I was actually heartbroken last year when Djokovic saved MP's to beat Tsonga in the QF's. I fancy his chances against Federer, again it'll come down to the mental strength. He really should have beaten Djokovic last year but bottled it at the vital moment. Hopefully he'll have learned from that.

The women's has been very dull. I'm not sure there's been a single good match yet? Sharapova looks good as long as it's not windy, her ball toss goes to pot if there's wind, which is fine in the early rounds but Vika or Serena will punish her if it happens against them. Hard to see past Serena winning it, I would rather see literally any of the others win it, even Vika, but barring an ankle roll I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The women's has been very dull. I'm not sure there's been a single good match yet? .

I haven't watched the women with interest in quite some time. I find it too slow. Like watching womens soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So good to see Stan playing well all year. I was worried his performance in Australia would be a one off, but he's done it again. Rafa has looked iffy his first few matches, but I think the psychological effect of playing Rafa will be the main issue for Stan. He's good enough to beat him, but is he mentally strong enough?

Not on clay, recent encounter was a battering and he will be fooked after that match with Gasquet, should be a straight forward 3-0 Nadal.:(

Aggy blonde:(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Knew that Serena would be troubled by Kuznetsova! 3rd set here we go :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

God damn Spanish television won't show any matches unless there's a Spanish person playing. Currently showing the Ferrer match instead of Federer. :mad:

Found a website to stream the Federer-Tsonga match. Federer playing very poorly so far. Practically gave away the first set and seems to have completely lost momentum since then. Tsonga a break up already in the second set.

Jo is doing well to keep his composure here but I'm getting horrible flashbacks to last years missed MP's and eventual loss. My nerves won't take a 4th set.

I think Jo is holding up well. It's Federer who is really struggling here. He just can't seem to get himself back into it, really fighting for every point, it seems.

^ Jo is holding really easily, Roger isn't troubling him at all. But I still won't get my hopes up, you can't write Roger off, and you can't rule out the nerves getting to Jo eventually.

• Advertisement

Double fault for Tsonga to break in the third set. Federer pretty much handing it over to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fed must break back right now or else its game over.

Edit: And he did. Can he hold serve.

Fierce return there for Federer to break back.

Back on serve, Jo getting a bit tight though, Federer still not playing great but a mistake or two from Jo could be all he needs to get back into it.

That's the game I'm afraid.

Fed just can't live with the brute serving and power during Tsonga's service games. Jo is always doing very well at the net and also retrieving everything.

Annoyed as I'm a massive Fed fan and he has been ultimately meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Wow! What a powerful display from Tsonga!! Really impressed with that!! Couldn't have happened to a better lad!:)

Tsonga did really well, fair play to him. Federer had a couple of chances to pull it back, but he ultimately blew it. Giving away that first set sealed it, I think.

I really thought Kuznetsova would have the better of Serena in the 3rd. Going 2-0 up and having BP to go 3-0.:( Doubt Errani will beat Serena in the SF.

What really struck me about the women today was the difference in power between the two matches. Was flicking back and forth between the two today, and honestly Errani looked like she played in slow motion compared to Williams/Kutz. Going to be 6-0/6-0 to Serena sadly, no amount of skill and spin can make up for the sheer difference of power between the too.

Edit: Well maybe not that bad of a scoreline...but it'll be easy enough for Serena anyway

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

John.Icy wrote: »
    What really struck me about the women today was the difference in power between the two matches. Was flicking back and forth between the two today, and honestly Errani looked like she played in slow motion compared to Williams/Kutz. Going to be 6-0/6-0 to Serena sadly, no amount of skill and spin can make up for the sheer difference of power between the too.

Edit: Well maybe not that bad of a scoreline...but it'll be easy enough for Serena anyway

This! It was incredible. Radwanska/Errani looked like a practice match compared to Serena and Sveta!

Really happy for Tsonga :) Surprised it was in 3 sets, was expecting a 5 setter. I think he'll beat Ferrer to get to the final, and if it's against Djokovic I think he may have a chance. If it's against Nadal, I can only see it going to Nadal, no matter how much the crowd will be on his side. Honestly though, I'd be the happiest person alive if Tsonga wins his maiden slam this weekends :):)

• Advertisement

This! It was incredible. Radwanska/Errani looked like a practice match compared to Serena and Sveta!

Really happy for Tsonga :) Surprised it was in 3 sets, was expecting a 5 setter. I think he'll beat Ferrer to get to the final, and if it's against Djokovic I think he may have a chance. If it's against Nadal, I can only see it going to Nadal, no matter how much the crowd will be on his side. Honestly though, I'd be the happiest person alive if Tsonga wins his maiden slam this weekends :):)

I'm going to be rooting for him. Hopefully he can keep it together mentally.

John.Icy wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if it was 6-0, 6-0 to be honest. There's the top 3 and then there's a massive gulf between them and the rest of the top 10. Radwanska is extremely skillful and quick and her lob is probably the best in tennis at the moment, but when it comes down to it the power wins out, which is kind of a shame really.

I would be very surprised if Errani manages to take more than 4 games from Serena. No disrespect to Sara, she's skillful and fast, but I think Serena's power will over-power her in the end.

I would love to see Tsonga will his first Grand Slam at RG. 30 years since a Frenchman won. Imagine the crowds if he won!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sad to see Aga knocked out, I love watching her play and not a fan of Errani at all. Even though I'm a Federer fan I'm glad to see Tsonga get through, such an exciting player to watch.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if Errani manages to take more than 4 games from Serena. No disrespect to Sara, she's skillful and fast, but I think Serena's power will over-power her in the end.

Wrestling equivelant of Serena v errani.

Wawrinka really struggling against Nadal. Two breaks down in the first set.

Nadal has taken the first 6-2. Wawrinka visibly frustrated. How tough was that match against Gasquet? Is it possible Wawrinka is just exhausted? He looks a bit tired to me. Nadal does look very good though, at the same time.

Nadal is just better than Stan especially on Clay.

In their 9 matches, Stan has won only 1 set which was back in 2007, four of those wins were on clay and quite comfy.

Wawrinka never had a chance even if he had not exhausted himself against Gasquet.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=W367

Wawrinka is trouble here, 4-1 down to Nadal. Doesn't look like the same player that played against Gasquet. To me he seems tired. Still playing some good shots but not enough. Djokovic won the first set against Haas. It's 6-5 in the second to Djoko, going on serve.

Azarenka-Sharapova will be the other women's SF. I think Masha will have too much for Victoria; Belorussian hasn't played the best this past week. Think I'll watch that one on mute.:p

Men's QF are seriously underwhelming. Haas with a slight opportunity to make it a bit more interesting in this 2nd set, but still, women's matches were far more interesting.

• Advertisement

The Azarenka-Sharapova match could be close. Either way, doesn't seem likely that either of them will be able to beat Serena.

Wawrinka back on serve in the second. Overall, I have to agree though, the men's matches haven't been all that riveting. I find Djokovic particularly boring to watch.

Broken again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement