Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I doubt it's that high.

He was on a central contract right through the Celtic Tiger probably had a central contract for what 12 years? Can you claim sponsorship income back as well? How much can you claim back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He was on a central contract right through the Celtic Tiger probably had a central contract for what 12 years? Can you claim sponsorship income back as well? How much can you claim back?

You can only claim a percentage of your tax back, not everything. It's also only for your best 10 years. ROG wouldn't have hit the big money until after 2003 or 2004 when he became clear first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Back of the napkin calculations suggest he'd needed to have earned 600k a year for 10 years to get €1m back in tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    Emmm, that part was completely tongue in cheek.

The question from the interview, ROG's call to Sexton before his contract was made public, the reply from Sexton, ROG's assurance to Sexton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Buer wrote: »
    Wouldn't be near it. Say he earned an average of 300k for his best 10 years. Whatever tax he paid on €3m he would get 40% back. It would be about €500k I would think.

That is still large enough that no playing contract in France would have made it worth his while. A no-brainer to retire.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    The question from the interview, ROG's call to Sexton before his contract was made public, the reply from Sexton, ROG's assurance to Sexton?

Well the question was obviously serious but the rest of it quite clearly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That is still large enough that no playing contract in France would have made it worth his while. A no-brainer to retire.

Carter's short term contract with USAP was reputed to be worth 700k (he got to play 5 games before getting injured). James Hook's contract was worth a similar amount per annum. Wasn't Wilkinson getting close to 1m per annum when he went to Toulon first of all. Contempomi was also offered huge money and by all accounts (Jackman anyway), the French think ROG is god over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I couldn't see ROG commanding very big money (for the Top14 that is) at his age. Although you never know with fellas like Boudjellal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I couldn't see ROG commanding very big money (for the Top14 that is) at his age. Although you never know with fellas like Boudjellal.

He'd command big money compared to what he would have got from Munster but he'd be well down the list of Top 14 salaries which have dropped a fair bit overall.

Sexton is on €650k and Bryan Habana is on €550k; ROG wouldn't be in that league at all. I'd say €300k would be the absolute max, probably a fair bit less, and that ain't enough to justify giving up his tax relief here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    Well the question was obviously serious but the rest of it quite clearly yes.

I think ROG was being straight when he said he contacted Sexton, why would he lie? I think Sexton's reply may have been tongue in cheek but with a grain of wtf in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would presume ROG's contract offers would have been a few years ago so would have still been in good form and had a few years left. Anyway Munster was always incredibly important to ROG so I would believe that was his main motivation to stay. Not every player is purely out for the money, I am sure money is a factor but these players are people and care about clubs and places too.

phog wrote: »
    I think ROG was being straight when he said he contacted Sexton, why would he lie? I think Sexton's reply may have been tongue in cheek but with a grain of wtf in it too.

I think we can take him at his word that he contacted Sexton, that's a given.

The stuff about Sexton being concerned about coming back from the Ireland camp and ROG being in the Racing side. That was tongue in cheek. Just that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Buer wrote: »
    Wouldn't be near it. Say he earned an average of 300k for his best 10 years. Whatever tax he paid on €3m he would get 40% back. It would be about €500k I would think.

i'd say his rebate would be between 400-500k, no rebate on income from endorsements etc

so it'd be enough to clear the mortgage on his family home and maybe eat into some of the debt on some of his investment properties.

one of the big issues for the lads who retired in recent years is that they bought/were encouraged to buy investment properties during the boom, a lot of them have houses or apartments in negative equity while many of them bought their principal private residences during the boom at peak prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bamboozle wrote: »
    one of the big issues for the lads who retired in recent years is that they bought/were encouraged to buy investment properties during the boom, a lot of them have houses or apartments in negative equity while many of them bought their principal private residences during the boom at peak prices

Yeah..OT but Frankie has a court case going on at the moment http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/rugby/frankie-sheahan-in-court-to-dispute-banks-property-claims-597965.html :(

athtrasna wrote: »

POC, amongst a group of others, has been involved in legal action against Pa Whelan (of the IRFU) too over failed investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Okay folks, way off topic now...

Advertisement