Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Considering the move Sexton to 12 and bring on ROG at 10 was going on until this time last year it is actually only this season when Sexton has become the established first choice.

Ah sure BOD's only stirring it up, he didn't even expect to be playing next season !!

Did Sexton start many/any games at 12 for Ireland? Can't really use that as evidence to suggest he wasn't first choice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tox56 wrote: »
    Did Sexton start many/any games at 12 for Ireland? Can't really use that as evidence to suggest he wasn't first choice
    None, he moved there during the game on five or six occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Seriously? Keith Wood, Paul Wallace, Kevin Maggs, Conor O'Shea etc. Pretty much anyone who played for Ireland in the 90s!
    When there was practically no professional rugby in Ireland. Please try harder! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

rrpc wrote: »
    When there was practically no professional rugby in Ireland. Please try harder! :pac:

Luckilly the IRFU know what they're talking about on this one..
    The decision taken by the IRFU in 1999, following a disastrous World Cup campaign, to invest heavily in keeping Ireland's best players at home rather than let them be lured to England, and to a lesser extent France, was the turning point for Irish Rugby.

The IRFU acknowledges the tax allowances made available by the State to Irish Professional Sports people domiciled in this country, whereby an athlete can reclaim 40% of the tax paid on his/her sporting income at the end of a 10 year period. This initiative has had a positive impact in assisting the IRFU retain players in this country.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Luckilly the IRFU know what they're talking about on this one..

;)
    Nice selective quoting there :p. The amendment to the TCA was not until 2002 at which point pro rugby was well established here. Not the 90s.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Nice selective quoting there :p. The amendment to the TCA was not until 2002 at which point pro rugby was well established here. Not the 90s.

Well they were hardly going to push through a tax rebate in a few hours.

It was the reason it was brought in. Certainly more so than giving rugby players a "soft landing" which could be better achieved in other ways. And it was very successful so fair play to the IRFU and McCreevy and whoever else orchestrated it.

EDIT: And there's nothing selective about that quoting, they follow each other on the page but nothing else is really related to the rebates. It's funny how when talking about the professional game and keeping professional players in Ireland the very first point they made was thanking the government for the rebates!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tox56 wrote: »

No but equally you didn't see BOD, Kearney, Heaslip, or POC being moved to a different position that they don't play in so someone else could come on and play in their position even though they weren't injured. Either D'arcy came off or ROG came on for Sexton himself.

No but equally you didn't see BOD, Kearney, Heaslip, or POC being moved to a different position that they don't play in so someone else could come on and play in their position even though they weren't injured. Either D'arcy came off or ROG came on for Sexton himself.

I think you're right in that you couldn't call Sexton the definite first choice until... probably the New Zealand tour?

Before then it would not have been surprising at all to see ROG starting. It was madness!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ROG came on in all three tests against NZ for Sexton, D'arcy, and then Wallace in the last one.

ROG came on in all three tests against NZ for Sexton, D'arcy, and then Wallace in the last one.

Yeah but I don't think there was any doubt Sexton would start all of them.

At the very least... When they brought out Wallace to start at 12 rather than Sexton I'd imagine the point was hammered home to ROG.

• Advertisement

I dunno they still brought on ROG for Wallace.

Sexton was ahead of ROG but established first choice I'm not so sure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Travelling back from a conference in Northern Italy and the train stopped at a town where I think Sexton should have looked for a club!

181250_10151659930507700_1033910246_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

ROG was interviewed by Newstalk today about his mobpve to Racing, he said he had a few French clubs offering tasty deals for him to go and play with them, he said he wanted to finish his playing career with Munster. A one club man.

He was asked about playing fairy Racing if required and he said when he accepted the offer to coach Racing but before it was announced he contacted Sexton to let him know, Sexton's response was one of wtf, now when I go to play internationals I'll have you stepping into my boots at Racing, ROG put himout of his misery and told him he was there as a coach only.

As always, it was an open and honest interview, worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Any link to it?

Will be disappointing to those who thought Sexton had a say in back room staff selection at his new club.

Any link to it?

Will be disappointing to those who thought Sexton had a say in back room staff selection at his new club.

Try OTB as they usually do podcasts.

Never thought about that, some here suggested Sexton would have been consulted, maybe he was but listening to ROG then that's probably unlikely.

Here's a link to the Journal, seems like a similar interview http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ronan-ogara-munster-retirement-racing-957815-Jun2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

phog wrote: »
    ROG was interviewed by Newstalk today about his mobpve to Racing, he said he had a few French clubs offering tasty deals for him to go and play with them, he said he wanted to finish his playing career with Munster. A one club man.

He was asked about playing fairy Racing if required and he said when he accepted the offer to coach Racing but before it was announced he contacted Sexton to let him know, Sexton's response was one of wtf, now when I go to play internationals I'll have you stepping into my boots at Racing, ROG put himout of his misery and told him he was there as a coach only.

As always, it was an open and honest interview, worth a listen.

Did they put it to him that it was the tax rebate that made the difference between him refusing to play in France or not? Didn't hear the interview (It was on George Hook I think?) but the articles I saw on it all said wanted to finish at Munster and didn't mention the massive rebate he gets because of that? I'm a Munster fan and think ROG is a legend, but think it's ultimately a money decision. The guy loves rugby, there's only one reason he's hung his boots up.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Did they put it to him that it was the tax rebate that made the difference between him refusing to play in France or not? Didn't hear the interview (It was on George Hook I think?) but the articles I saw on it all said wanted to finish at Munster and didn't mention the massive rebate he gets because of that? I'm a Munster fan and think ROG is a legend, but think it's ultimately a money decision. The guy loves rugby, there's only one reason he's hung his boots up.

He could have played another year at Munster as a contract was on the table. At 36, you can't hold it against him that he retired.

If he retired next season, all those coaching jobs would still be there.

Not getting your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

ROG had an offer from Munster to play for another season - if he wanted to continue playing he could have stayed and got his tax rebate.

Strings didn't seem to be too worried about his tax rebate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

jm08 wrote: »
    ROG had an offer from Munster to play for another season - if he wanted to continue playing he could have stayed and got his tax rebate.

Strings didn't seem to be too worried about his tax rebate.

I reckon Strings will go to Connacht next season...he only has a one year contract at Bath and still looks in flying form and hasn't suffered any major injuries in his career.

ROG's tax rebate should be pushing €1,000,000 - a lot of money to go out (at the top after the HCup) with. Another season, watching the young guns take over may have been too much to ask.

• Advertisement

It was on OTB and no he wasn't asked about the tax rebate. Tbh, it may very well have been a factor in his decision but I get the feeling that ROG wanted to finish his playing career with Munster. Finishing playing and then getting a coaching role in a top club in France is the icing on the cake for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The interview with Hook wasn't very good.
    Hook sounded and acted like a star-struck giggling teenager.
    "Can you speak French, g'wan give us a few sentences, g'wan..."
    You'd swear he was the first Irishman to ever emigrate.

EDIT: to be fair to Rodge, he sounded bored about halfway through and was getting tired of Hook's guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He could have played another year at Munster as a contract was on the table. At 36, you can't hold it against him that he retired.

If he retired next season, all those coaching jobs would still be there.

Not getting your point.

Well he'd probably have been offered far more money to play for Racing next year over Munster but to get the tax break it would mean he'd have to play on for two more seasons, as he'd have to play another back in Ireland & possibly run the risk of getting a serious injury or not being wanted by a province the following year.

I'd say the tax break definitely played a role in him not taking a retirement holiday like Shane Williams has or a player coach role. I know Munster had a contract on the table but in my opinion I'd say he couldn't face fading into the background with Munster like he did with Ireland, he's too much of a competitor for that so I'm glad he went out of Munster on his own terms.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Well he'd probably have been offered far more money to play for Racing next year over Munster but to get the tax break it would mean he'd have to play on for two more seasons, as he'd have to play another back in Ireland & possibly run the risk of getting a serious injury or not being wanted by a province the following year.

I'd say the tax break definitely played a role in him not taking a retirement holiday like Shane Williams has or a player coach role. I know Munster had a contract on the table but in my opinion I'd say he couldn't face fading into the background with Munster like he did with Ireland, he's too much of a competitor for that so I'm glad he went out of Munster on his own terms.

I too, am glad he went out on his own terms.

Can't be compared to Williams for many reasons. Not sure French clubs were looking for him as a coach but not sure.

The tax rebate in this case seems to have worked. A factor in keeping a great in Irish rugby wanting to be a "one club man". Hopefully it keeps current and future greats playing in Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not sure French clubs were looking for him as a coach but not sure.

Definately think Clermont offered him a contract as a player/coach (but coaching in their academy). Think it might have only been for a year as well. (They could really have done with someone like him).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I too, am glad he went out on his own terms.

Can't be compared to Williams for many reasons. Not sure French clubs were looking for him as a coach but not sure.

The tax rebate in this case seems to have worked. A factor in keeping a great in Irish rugby wanting to be a "one club man". Hopefully it keeps current and future greats playing in Irish rugby.

I didn't compare him to Williams, I stated that without the restriction of having to play another season in Ireland he could have gone on a last money making retirement season somewhere like Williams has but he didn't so there's no comparison.

I don't know how this can be claimed as an example of the tax rebate working as I doubt the intention of it was to block an aging player who was no longer playing near international level (4th or 5th choice in his position) from plying his trade abroad in the twilight of his career. An unintended consequence, and maybe a bonus for nostalgia junkies, but I'd rather it was restructured so that current stars are kept, not those on the wane.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I didn't compare him to Williams, I stated that without the restriction of having to play another season in Ireland he could have gone on a last money making retirement season somewhere like Williams has but he didn't so there's no comparison.

I don't know how this can be claimed as an example of the tax rebate working as I doubt the intention of it was to block an aging player who was no longer playing near international level (4th or 5th choice in his position) from plying his trade abroad in the twilight of his career. An unintended consequence, and maybe a bonus for nostalgia junkies, but I'd rather it was restructured so that current stars are kept, not those on the wane.

I have no doubt it played a small part in keeping him in his height too. The larger keeping force was his loyalty to his community, as stated by the man himself. BOD and POC are other worthy examples. Could have plied their trade anywhere in the world but didn't/don't for similar reasons. Has to be respected imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG's tax rebate should be pushing €1,000,000 - a lot of money to go out (at the top after the HCup) with. Another season, watching the young guns take over may have been too much to ask.

I doubt it's that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »

Emmm, that part was completely tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I doubt it's that high.

Wouldn't be near it. Say he earned an average of 300k for his best 10 years. Whatever tax he paid on €3m he would get 40% back. It would be about €500k I would think.

Advertisement