Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Rightwing wrote: »
    What about the actors and bands like U2, should they pay nothing, because people will go to concerts, sell out a few hotels?

This has nothing to do with the subject in hand.

Since you mentioned it though, the above is nothing compared to contribution to regions in this country generated by the likes of Intel, Google, Apple and Microsoft. Ever been to Maynooth, Leixlip, Lucan, Celbridge before Intel set up? The effect of a corporation such as this upping sticks is unimaginably catastrophic.
    You can't have it every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

So far off topic here. Popped in to have a look at thread and debate and multinationals and impact to economy. Move on I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This was brought in by Charlie McCreevy, pretty much every scheme he brought in had one objective; garnering votes. SSIAs, decentralisation etc etc. The economics were generally an after-thought.

The main economic benefit to the country from rugby is foreigners coming over for internationals, correct? The numbers arriving for Rabo and HC games is probably a lot lower by comparison.

But you'd still have international games without the rebate, you'd just have the players coming home from England/France to play for the national team.

There's a lot more than just foreigners coming over for rugby matches.

But let's say that was it. How many international games are there in Ireland every year? 2/3 6N games and 2/3 AIs (which very few travel for).

An awful lot more travel to Ireland for Rabo and H Cup games every season.

But of course the rebates offer far more than just attracting tourism for the actual games. Keeping the best rugby players in Ireland is far more valuable than to our economy than just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It makes sense to me and is a big reason why the provinces have tasted their fair share, and more, of success.

If Munster werent making HC semi's and finals. We would not have seen the influx of new supporters. Seem applies to the other province. without the best players playing, there would have been far less supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

There's a lot more than just foreigners coming over for rugby matches.

But let's say that was it. How many international games are there in Ireland every year? 2/3 6N games and 2/3 AIs (which very few travel for).

An awful lot more travel to Ireland for Rabo and H Cup games every season.

But of course the rebates offer far more than just attracting tourism for the actual games. Keeping the best rugby players in Ireland is far more valuable than to our economy than just that.

Do you think? I'm not sure how we'd go about proving/disproving it but I would have thought that for all but the occasional game, the numbers of travelling fans is negligible.

You could also argue that, since the number of Irish people who go abroad for provincial games is probably higher than the number of foreigners who arrive, you would have to consider the amount of money leaving the economy and being spent in England and France by travelling Irish fans when assessing the overall benefit of the scheme.

Right, that's my last post on it! (Particularly since I'm actually in favour of the tax rebate...)

EDIT: But we can all agree that ROG would lose his rebate if he togs out for Racing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You could argue that those away trips we all go on convince the foreign fans to visit Ireland for a rugby game.

Tax rebates all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I really don't think you understand the aim of the rebate and what it has done for rugby in the country to be honest. Especially judging by the examples you've given.

Everyone knows it has done good for rugby.
    Everyone knows giving the horsing industry tax breaks was good for that industry
    Everyone knows giving tax breaks to film industry is good for the film industry
    Everyone knows giving breaks to any industry is good for that particular industry.

My point is about the fairness of these breaks. The more people that are excluded from the tax net, means those that are left will be paying more.

For instance
    Everyone knows giving the us the taxpayer tax breaks will also be good for the economy, we'll all have more to spend, people will be inclined to leave the welfare,,,,well why not give us the tax breaks then!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Everyone knows it has done good for rugby.
    Everyone knows giving the horsing industry tax breaks was good for that industry
    Everyone knows giving tax breaks to film industry is good for the film industry
    Everyone knows giving breaks to any industry is good for that particular industry.

My point is about the fairness of these breaks. The more people that are excluded from the tax net, means those that are left will be paying more.

For instance
    Everyone knows giving the us the taxpayer tax breaks will also be good for the economy, we'll all have more to spend, people will be inclined to leave the welfare,,,,well why not give us the tax breaks then!

Not really, such industries generate sporadic ancillary activity which in turn generates labour taxes and VAT. Those industries are small scale, relative to traditional secondary and tertiary sectors, without support they wouldnt sustain as they do and youd lose a whole lot in knock-on opportunities and the gap in revenues would be wider still than if the supports were not given

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not really, such industries generate sporadic ancillary activity which in turn generates labour taxes and VAT. Those industries are small scale, relative to traditional secondary and tertiary sectors, without support they wouldnt sustain as they do and youd lose a whole lot in knock-on opportunities and the gap in revenues would be wider still than if the supports were not given

But on the other hand, if you give tax breaks to the ordinary citizen, (instead of taxing them to the hilt) it will generate a massive multiplier effect across the economy as a whole. I would even hazard a guess that more people would be going to rugby matches!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jesus lads, from ROG to macro economics?????

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But on the other hand, if you give tax breaks to the ordinary citizen, (instead of taxing them to the hilt) it will generate a massive multiplier effect across the economy as a whole. I would even hazard a guess that more people would be going to rugby matches!

but anyway, the multiplier effect works opposite in recessionary times as people tend to hold onto disposable income a lot more. Which means less tax income equates to less governmental spending on public wages equates to less liquidity in the economy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've read through all this stuff about the tax rebate and not one person has actually given the real reason for setting it up.

It was done to provide professional sportspeople with a 'soft landing' after they retired. Given that most sportspeople stop participating (and earning) before the age of 40, the sudden loss of income without any prospect of a job outside sport (even graduates would have absolutely no work experience) can be catastrophic.

Yes there are high profile guys who'll earn a decent living from punditry, but they are in the vast minority. Switching immediately to coaching a la ROG is also extremely rare, Bernard Jackman spent a few years in the AIL before heading to Grenoble.

It's fair and it's right and yes other peripheral arguments can be made for it too.

rrpc wrote: »
    I've read through all this stuff about the tax rebate and not one person has actually given the real reason for setting it up.

It was done to provide professional sportspeople with a 'soft landing' after they retired. Given that most sportspeople stop participating (and earning) before the age of 40, the sudden loss of income without any prospect of a job outside sport (even graduates would have absolutely no work experience) can be catastrophic.

Yes there are high profile guys who'll earn a decent living from punditry, but they are in the vast minority. Switching immediately to coaching a la ROG is also extremely rare, Bernard Jackman spent a few years in the AIL before heading to Grenoble.

It's fair and it's right and yes other peripheral arguments can be made for it too.
    That's not the reason it was introduced at all. But it is another positive factor of it, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

sydthebeat wrote: »

Back in my day... when we starting a topic, we stayed on topic until the sun went down and the cows came home; or else it was a padding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

who_me wrote: »
    Back in my day... when we starting a topic, we stayed on topic until the sun went down and the cows came home; or else it was a padding!

Getting the word "paddling" wrong......

That's a paddling!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

sydthebeat wrote: »

ROG has a Masters in Business Economics :)

(He has a BA is in Economics & Psychology - the psychology could come in very handy for a coach).

That's not the reason it was introduced at all. But it is another positive factor of it, absolutely.
    If I said it was daylight outside, you'd contradict me IBF, it's starting to look like you're stalking me :eek:
    Minister McCreevy said the measures have been introduced as a reward for the contribution our sports stars make, as an acknowledgement for their relatively short careers and as encouragement for them to stay in Ireland.

If I said it was daylight outside, you'd contradict me IBF, it's starting to look like you're stalking me :eek:
    Well as long as you keep getting things wrong I'll be happy to correct you! :p

It's not why they were brought in. As I said it's another positive to the rebate, but it was brought in after a period of lots of Irish internationals playing abroad. And it did help to change things.

You said we nobody mentioned the real reason. I'm afraid keeping them in Ireland was one of the main reasons (actually THE main reason... Charlie was my TD!)... as your quote says!

Well as long as you keep getting things wrong I'll be happy to correct you! :p

It's not why they were brought in. As I said it's another positive to the rebate, but it was brought in after a period of lots of Irish internationals playing abroad. And it did help to change things.

You said we nobody mentioned the real reason. I'm afraid keeping them in Ireland was one of the main reasons (actually THE main reason... Charlie was my TD!)... as your quote says!
    Yep stalking...

Three reasons given and the last one is the one you're saying was the main one. Please name all those internationals playing abroad and don't start with Roy Keane please :D

Yep stalking...

Three reasons given and the last one is the one you're saying was the main one. Please name all those internationals playing abroad and don't start with Roy Keane please :D

Seriously? Keith Wood, Paul Wallace, Kevin Maggs, Conor O'Shea etc. Pretty much anyone who played for Ireland in the 90s!

• Advertisement

I wonder what was McCreevy's excuse for giving the horsing industry the grants and breaks? JP & Magnier needs a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I wonder what was McCreevy's excuse for giving the horsing industry the grants and breaks? JP & Magnier needs a few quid?

Ah here, give us a break mate....

Politics forum that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Okay, I've let this go on in the hope it'd come full circle. It hasn't. Stick to the topic people. The finer points of tax rebates isn't the topic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

(Perhaps if we neatly envelope our off-topic discussion within brackets; like so.)

A rugby ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Well well well I'm off 10 days and this comes out !!!

A great news for top 14 anyway. Having ROG as a kicking coach is more than prestigious. Wisniewski is gonna work with 2 of the best 10 in Europe, he can only raise his game!

Oh and maybe the whole Sexton/ROG "war" was just a fans/media bullsh*t ? I can't imagine Lorenzetti signing the 2 of them if a tenth of what I read about them is half-true...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lelantos wrote: »
    Getting the word "paddling" wrong......

That's a paddling!! ;)

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

iroced wrote: »
    Well well well I'm off 10 days and this comes out !!!

A great news for top 14 anyway. Having ROG as a kicking coach is more than prestigious. Wisniewski is gonna work with 2 of the best 10 in Europe, he can only raise his game!

Oh and maybe the whole Sexton/ROG "war" was just a fans/media bullsh*t ? I can't imagine Lorenzetti signing the 2 of them if a tenth of what I read about them is half-true...

They're good friends now, several players have come out and said that... BUT almost every player has qualified that by saying "after a rocky start" or something to that effect. Initially I don't think the fans/media were that far off the mark, seemed a fair bit of animosity, but that isn't an issue now. BOD said things cooled off when Sexton established himself as the clear first choice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tox56 wrote: »
    BOD said things cooled off when Sexton established himself as the clear first choice

So only this season then! :D:D

(I'm joking but it is kinda true actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    So only this season then! :D:D

(I'm joking but it is kinda true actually)

Yeah but you know what he meant, Sexton went through a rocky patch with his kicking and was dropped but at the same time I would have described him as 'first choice'. That doesn't make sense reading it back :p but i presume that was what BOD was talking about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering the move Sexton to 12 and bring on ROG at 10 was going on until this time last year it is actually only this season when Sexton has become the established first choice.

Ah sure BOD's only stirring it up, he didn't even expect to be playing next season !!

Advertisement