Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Ship [TNT - US]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

More just the isolation, one would presume all the other ships and indeed subs returned to report at some point during the ships 4 months in the arctic, even a nuclear sub generally maxes out at 6 months due to the amount of food it can store, they return and get infected etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought this week's ep was OK. They did have to address the crew concerns at some stage and I liked the paranoia that built up, or certainly had to build up under the circumstances. We also got to see what a complete bastard Rhona Mitra's assistant is. He really should be chucked overboard at their earliest possible convenience. I'm still in with this show. It can't be full steam ahead and Arm Torpedos every week really. Even that would get repetitive and boring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I'll be honest, kinda losing interest in this, mostly cause they haven't blown anything up in a few episodes.

Last one seemed a bit like a filler ep, but hopefully they'll be back to blowing stuff up next week, Michael Bay must have been on vacation or something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

KT10 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, kinda losing interest in this, mostly cause they haven't blown anything up in a few episodes.

Last one seemed a bit like a filler ep, but hopefully they'll be back to blowing stuff up next week, Michael Bay must have been on vacation or something. :pac:

Exactly! They have a DESTROYER!!! The trailer made a big deal out of the fact that they have a DESTROYER!!! Why are they not DESTROYING more stuff?!?

That's exactly what this show needs. Destruction, and lots of it.

:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Think this is going to be like Star Trek voyager, afraid to use their weapons because they have a limited supply that means no splosions :( and lots of touchy feely crap.

You can be sure captain and scientist will have some type of encounter aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm confidant of splosions this sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yay! The Russians are back. And yep, 'splosions! :p Next week should be good!

Where/when did Nathan James get a chopper though? I must have missed something!

Hanging off the back but I haven't seen it or heard it mentioned since the first ep, where the lab is they could conceivably store it but well the lab is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Haha, was just giving out about how handy they found the fix it button and then came the twist. WP show

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yay! The Russians are back. And yep, 'splosions! :p Next week should be good!

Where/when did Nathan James get a chopper though? I must have missed something!
    Hanging off the back but I haven't seen it or heard it mentioned since the first ep, where the lab is they could conceivably store it but well the lab is there!

Someone brought it up on the reddit the other day, those class of ships have 2 hangers, much bigger ship than you'd think.
    29fxiqa.jpg

• Advertisement

just watched it there... impressed..

Hmm, better episode, nice to see something get blowed up again, more blowing things up please, hopefully a full on exchange of fire in the next ep!

Last week was okay. Its good to see a story that extends beyond one episode too.

There wasnt too much to complain about except... wouldnt the captain have recognized the difference between the underneath of a russian chopper and an american one?

Still really liking this show! The tech looks pretty real as well. It just really occurred to me when they were in the situation room last week monitoring the search for the captain. Big set up for next week now so I just hope they don't bungle it. Lots still to like about this show! It's not clever but it knows how to entertain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

squonk wrote: »
    The tech looks pretty real as well.
    thats cause it is real, they film onboard the USS Halsey and the USS Dewey, and the USS Iowa which is a museum ship,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I like post-SHTF survival stuff so,

I spotted the tread here and thought I would give it go.

Its very well shot cinematography wise but its basically a Naval recruitment AD
    for idiot/kids.

I was expecting Something like on the beach (1958) but got the party
    posse

The story is set in a then-future 1964, in the months following World War III. The conflict has devastated the northern hemisphere, polluting the atmosphere with nuclear fallout and killing all life. Air currents are slowly carrying the fallout south. The only areas still habitable are in the far southern hemisphere.
    From Australia, survivors detect an incomprehensible Morse code signal from San Diego in the United States. The last American nuclear submarine, USS Sawfish, under Royal Australian Navy command, is ordered to sail north to try to make contact with the signal sender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(1959_film)

"New Kids on the Blecch" is the fourteenth episode from the twelfth season of The Simpsons. In the episode, a music producer selects Bart, Nelson, Milhouse and Ralph to be members of the next hit boyband, who record songs containing subliminal messages about joining the Navy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Kids_on_the_Blecch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Plenty Boom Boom this week!!
    Its a terrible show, but I love it!

Haven't watched the latest episode yet but, yeah, it's a real guilty pleasure! Putting it in context, Last Resort was an attempt to make a decent show out of a crap premise and it failed miserably. The Last Ship is just about making a crap show out of a crap premise and it's bloody fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That was epic! :p Over-the-top nonsense but it's great!

Forget this uber-realistic/gritty depressing nonsense.. more of this cheesy 80s-style stuff is what we need! :D

Great show this week! Plot holes you could drive an artic through. Overly incompetent Russians letting the lads run amok on the ship. It was almost real-life Scooby doo. "They're slipping through our fingers!" :). Smart Russian captain getting outwitted by the yanks! It was almost pure Saturday morning kids TV for a while there. It's just so damn good though! I'm laughing because it's precisely the sort of show I should detest but I love it and can't wait for more!!!!

• Advertisement

Great show this week! Plot holes you could drive an artic through. Overly incompetent Russians letting the lads run amok on the ship.

Anyone else get a surprise when the captain and his buddy break out of their cell only to bump into... the US team sent to rescue them!

Woa. How the f did they get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Anyone else get a surprise when the captain and his buddy break out of their cell only to bump into... the US team sent to rescue them!

Woa. How the f did they get there?

The note that Dr Scott passed to the captain told him when and where to meet. No surprise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

It's American patriotism on steroids, but I loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Think I'll have to call it a day on this, it should be a guilty pleasure for me plot wise, but it's just too bad. I seem to be in the minority but I much preferred Last Resort

2 more episodes before the end of the season? Hopefully they'll make a little more effort with the writing of the next season.

Ah balls! Only 2 more? :(. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's nothing wrong with the writing. It suits the show perfectly. We're not talking high brow drama here. It's cheap sparkly boom boom stuff. It works very well!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah balls! Only 2 more? :(. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's nothing wrong with the writing. It suits the show perfectly. We're not talking high brow drama here. It's cheap sparkly boom boom stuff. It works very well!

Have to agree, this is one of the few shows in which I actually enjoy turning my brain off. Normally I'm the first to pick up on plot holes and bad acting, but for some odd reason, it just isn't happening with this show.

Yep, season 2 will be 13 episodes though.

Have to say, enjoyed that, I did have to tell my brain to shut up when the Russian soldiers, firing from an elevated position, at a target 20 feet away, were still unable to hit the yanks despite them having no cover, but meh, good acceleration of the storyline, was thinking they'd drag stuff out into season 2 but glad to see they're not drag assing.

My only hope is they've saved a big chunck of this seasons budget for a balls-out battle in the final episode and we have a Star Trek moment...

ce032c511d292657a9549d8b7c2a764b14036968e421605da92ad167894fba7f.jpg

proper go Murica **** going on but i bloody love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Bit too ER for my liking this week. Not enough Ruskies.

Advertisement