Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Ship [TNT - US]

Options
  • 07-05-2013 8:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:eek: fracking awesome!!!.....a REAL ship!!, real weapons....location shooting!, holy batwings this looks awesome! :D

TNT has greenlit the action-packed drama series The Last Ship, starring Eric Dane (Grey’s Anatomy) and executive-produced by blockbuster filmmaker Michael Bay (Transformers). Based on William Brinkley’s popular novel, The Last Ship comes to TNT from Bay’s Platinum Dunes and its partners, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, whose credits include upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Bay, Fuller and Form serve as executive producers, along with showrunner Hank Steinberg (Without a Trace) and Steven Kane (The Closer). Steinberg and Kane wrote the series pilot, which was directed by Jonathan Mostow (U-571).

TNT has ordered 10 episodes of The Last Ship, with plans to launch the series in 2014. The story opens with a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the devastating tragedy. But now the crew and its captain must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors.

Dane stars as Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man who is authoritative and decisive, but also fair and courageous. A born leader and a loving father and husband, Chandler is respected and loved by the men and women under his command. The Last Ship also stars Rhona Mitra (Strike Back) as Rachel Scott, a strong-willed, intelligent and fearless paleomicrobiologist assigned to the Nathan James to investigate the cause of billions of deaths worldwide. Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) is Slattery, the ship’s second-in-command who worries deeply about his family and occasionally clashes with Dane’s Captain Chandler over the best course of action. And Tracy Middendorf (Boardwalk Empire, Mission: Impossible III) plays Darien Chandler, the captain’s wife.

“The Last Ship has all the elements of a big Hollywood blockbuster, from its epic storytelling to its top-notch cast headed by the perfect leading man, Eric Dane,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “Michael Bay and his fellow executive producers have shaped William Brinkley’s story and characters into an exceptional drama full of action, suspense, tragedy and triumph. The Last Ship is smart, fun television that takes you on a great ride.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

think we'll see the pilot in 2013?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

think we'll see the pilot in 2013?

Dunno...be nice if they did a pilot preview after the Falling Skies finale.
    Looks great though, anyone get Last Resort vibes?....was never an Eric Dane fan but he sure looks the part in this, and yer man from Chuck is well cast as well.

Wonder if this means Rhona Mitra will be killed off Strike Back?, i know Michela McManus from TVD and Awake, Alyssa Diaz from ABC Family's Chloe King.

Pretty solid cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402207/

Btw...if they follow the book it could be epic! :eek:
    The author seemed more concerned with the crew's interactions at being the last men and women in a post nuclear war world. With the women commandeering the ship and firing off the nuks to dispose of them, with tragic results.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402207/board/thread/204428056?d=209793898&p=2#209793898

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks like Last Resort v2.0 to me. Let's hope it gets a longer run than that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Funny. I was thinking the same thing. It definitely sounds like the Last Resort with the serial numbers filed off. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

still no date for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

squonk wrote: »
    Looks like Last Resort v2.0 to me. Let's hope it gets a longer run than that show.

Well it is on TNT so it has a better chance of a longer run

Thrill wrote: »

summer is a season not a date :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

summer is a season not a date :P

i thought summer was a show killer :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

how many promos?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I see this is starting on the 22nd, something to break up the summer slump

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just watched episode one it will be a fun summer show.

There really isn't anything original in this. I will say the set pieces look great and having the real ship helps with that.

I really don't see it getting anymore than one season unless it gets Under the Dome numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched episode one it will be a fun summer show.

There really isn't anything original in this. I will say the set pieces look great and having the real ship helps with that.

I really don't see it getting anymore than one season unless it gets Under the Dome numbers.

Been looking forward to this for a while.. it'll arrive from my cousins in about 15 mins so will report back after. If it's just one of those fun "go with it" kinda shows without any major flaws to break the atmosphere I'll be happy :)

Good start. I like the Captain and the Doc. First Officer seems good too.

CGI seemed alright for the most part
    except for the rather ropey helicopter crash on the ice

Will keep watching anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I honestly have my doubts on how it will play out but I'll give it a few more episodes to see. It really reminds me of the anime when a Japanese warship goes back in time to WW2 and can intervene in the outcome of the war so far but we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it a lot. Seems to be meatier than Last Resort, and it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed it a lot. Seems to be meatier than Last Resort, and it looks fantastic.
    Aye, was thinking of Last Resort as well. Can't see this lasting for more than one season, but tbh in stories such as this, any more would just be stretching it out. Will be fun to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, was thinking of Last Resort as well. Can't see this lasting for more than one season, but tbh in stories such as this, any more would just be stretching it out. Will be fun to see where it goes.

Be nice if this kept it to one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Visually impressive. Story line jumped over way too much. They'll definately stuggle to keep this going more than 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah theres a real Last Resort vibe to it alright but this would have far more scope for multiple seasons though because even if they manage to find & create a cure by the end of the first season they still have a world that's been absolutely decimated by the virus, collapsed governments, nuclear attacks, rogue military groups etc. so season two and beyond could be a mix of Jericho and Revolution where they're trying to rebuild society and reform a government. Not to mention that even when they have a cure they'd still need to find a way to mass produce it and spread it around to all the survivors; and given that the world is in crap those two tasks are going to be a lot easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I really liked it. The photography with the ship was really well done! I wasn't too put out by the CGI. I've watched enough SyFy shows now to spot really crap CGI and I thought largely this was a cut above in that respect. It was nice to see real helicopters being used for he action shots as well.

In general I thought it was Last Resort done properly. The cast so far are great and I'm actually impressed with how good Rhona Mitra is in this. She's largely been there for tits and ass value in anything else I've seen her in so this looks like a heavier role for her.

The story is quite meaty too and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it.I just hope they can keep up the same forward momentum. It'd be a shame now if the storyline developed into a 'villain/dire situation of the week' scenario with the overall arc taking a back seat for a while.

Its hard to believe this is a summer show really. So far this would be a very welcome addition to a fall schedule anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The American military see shows such as JAG, NCIS, etc, as shows that can be also propaganda tools. You'll notice a couple of recent movies that have a "feel good" factor have access to a large arsenal of boats, and The Last Ship is no different; they give a modern warship to be used on TV to help get people to sign up. I wonder what other branches of the military will give stuff to shows?

Back on topic, I wonder if the plagues maker will show their face, and either taking the cure, or infecting the ship, and the cure being tested on the crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the plot sounds really familiar :)

A ship is sent to find a cure to save the world from a plague

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149437/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_107

The American military see shows such as JAG, NCIS, etc, as shows that can be also propaganda tools. You'll notice a couple of recent movies that have a "feel good" factor have access to a large arsenal of boats, and The Last Ship is no different; they give a modern warship to be used on TV to help get people to sign up. I wonder what other branches of the military will give stuff to shows?

True.. Didn't the Air Force see a surge after Top Gun came out? Still a classic movie though :)
    Back on topic, I wonder if the plagues maker will show their face, and either taking the cure, or infecting the ship, and the cure being tested on the crew?

I can see the latter happening for sure - probably when someone key is exposed (maybe the XO or Captain himself), and they're forced to trial the it's-still-not-ready cure that they've been working on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Have to say i really enjoyed this. The cooperation of the Navy really shows. Adam Baldwin seems to have packed on a few pounds though.

Advertisement