Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Ship [TNT - US]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Beano wrote: »
    Have to say i really enjoyed this. The cooperation of the Navy really shows. Adam Baldwin seems to have packed on a few pounds though.

and thinning on top too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well I haven't seen it, but the blow by blow review on Pajiba that labeled it 'The Stand for morons' and opens with:

"Did you know that seven million people watched the premier of The Last Ship on Sunday night? Did you know that three million of them were legally brain dead by the end?"

It's a damn fully review that hilariously picks apart the absolute stupidity of the plot.

http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/the-stand-for-morons-the-last-ship-review.php

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

conorhal wrote: »
    Well I haven't seen it, but the blow by blow review on Pajiba that labeled it 'The Stand for morons' and opens with:

"Did you know that seven million people watched the premier of The Last Ship on Sunday night? Did you know that three million of them were legally brain dead by the end?"

It's a damn fully review that hilariously picks apart the absolute stupidity of the plot.

I'm in work trying not to die laughing at that, its utterly brilliant! :D

It is what it is, pure popcorn TV, I'll keep watching it cause I loves me some popcorn TV and when my brain picks up on some of the flawed logic (as it did the other night watching this) I'll mentally tell it to just shut up and enjoy the ride.

Pew Pew! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Yep that review pretty much sums up how idiotic things are on this show. Writers seem to have lost the ability to identify where the line is between artisitic license and unbelievable drivel is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah come on! Now I haven't read that review but why, oh why does everything have to be dissected and broken down into points relating to deviations from logic. The show is complete fun. It's a bunch of guys on a warship sailing around blowing helicopters out of the sky creating big fireballs. There's some back story tacked on to explain why they're all there and another to explain why sailing around is hard for the captain but, beyond that, I don't really want to see a deep exploration of the meaning of family and the value of statehood. That's just more time taken up doing things other than blowing helicopters out of the sky! It's almost the same reason I like Banshee. You know what you're getting and you either love it or hate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

squonk wrote: »
    Ah come on! Now I haven't read that review but why, oh why does everything have to be dissected and broken down into points relating to deviations from logic. The show is complete fun. It's a bunch of guys on a warship sailing around blowing helicopters out of the sky creating big fireballs. There's some back story tacked on to explain why they're all there and another to explain why sailing around is hard for the captain but, beyond that, I don't really want to see a deep exploration of the meaning of family and the value of statehood. That's just more time taken up doing things other than blowing helicopters out of the sky! It's almost the same reason I like Banshee. You know what you're getting and you either love it or hate it!

I think Peace summed up my attitude to shows like this.
    There's plenty of mindlessly entertaining stuff that I enjoy, but when the sheer lazyness of writers who clearly could not give two sh1ts veers the plot into the territory of offensively stupid, then a shows earn the vitriol that comes there way.
    I'll happily indulge stupid and pat it on the head, but if stupid stamps it's foot and demands to be taken seriously, I kick it in the stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

conorhal wrote: »

man that review is hillarious :p

'Then he braces himself and holds the fuse in place. They flip the switch, he’s massively electrocuted, but then everything is fine. The writers think that fuses function by holding the electricity in, and that when they “blow” they literally blow out of their slot. And so all that’s needed is for someone to hold them in really hard and wrestle with the electrons until they calm down.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That review makes it sound so bad that it might be worth watching :) I like ridiculous plots, explosions, etc. as much as the next man but this may have taken it a bit too far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It definitely went too far IMO. They had a huge amount of potential, and went to the trouble of actually using a real ship, and then just ruined it with stupid lazy nonsense.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and take a huge pinch of salt, but I expect the writers to at least try and come up with something that makes some kind of sense.

I'll keep watching for the moment in the hope that the pilot was just a rush job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wossack wrote: »
    man that review is hillarious :p

'Then he braces himself and holds the fuse in place. They flip the switch, he’s massively electrocuted, but then everything is fine. The writers think that fuses function by holding the electricity in, and that when they “blow” they literally blow out of their slot. And so all that’s needed is for someone to hold them in really hard and wrestle with the electrons until they calm down.'

Oh god I wondered what the hell was supposed to be happening in that scene but that explanation makes perfect sense. It just never dawned on me that the writers were that unbelievably stupid. I did get the fuel thing though, 'we only have 11% fuel in the tank, that will only last us 6 hours on maximum conserve.' So with minimum power usage a full tank of fuel won't even last 3 days? Were they getting daily fuel refills on their mission?

This show was a proper stinker. I'm glad to finally see some criticism of it because this thread had been making me wonder if there were two The Last Ships airing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Peace wrote: »
    Yep that review pretty much sums up how idiotic things are on this show. Writers seem to have lost the ability to identify where the line is between artisitic license and unbelievable drivel is.

You could say the same for Fargo and yet some people are saying its the t.v show of the year:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched the pilot earlier, pretty decent pilot, they ticked some stereotype boxes,
    captain is brave and badass, check
    lesbian, check
    russian are bad, check
    american superiority, check
    making it up as they go along, check
    bad science, check
    were the last hope for humanity, check

still like any show that has ever aired it can be torn to shreds in minutes by anyone with half a brain, just accept that its produced by michael bay and move on,

looking forward to more,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's a ridiculous show with bad acting, scripting, cgi etc but the premise is mildly interesting so will keep watching it for lack of anything else decent on at the moment. Really hope they just have one season and have planned for it accordingly. I firmly believe that many tv series like flashforward, the event, under the dome would have been so much better if they just been made under the assumption that it would only be one season.

don ramo wrote: »
    watched the pilot earlier, pretty decent pilot, they ticked some stereotype boxes,
    captain is brave and badass, check
    lesbian, check
    russian are bad, check
    american superiority, check
    making it up as they go along, check
    bad science, check
    were the last hope for humanity, check

still like any show that has ever aired it can be torn to shreds in minutes by anyone with half a brain, just accept that its produced by michael bay and move on,

looking forward to more,

Eh i think the lesbian is african american which should give them a double check

Jasus i'd say that Baldwin lad lost about 3 stone in between episode 1 and 2!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guinness is irish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was that an episode of south park team america world police last night.

they take people kidnapped from a war zone, tortured and interned without trial for 10 years and turn them back into people attacking the poor US underdogs, who still have superior and overwhleming firepower, meanwhile in real life the US claims the prisoners of guantameno are still attacking the US by refusing to eat like many do when they've been imprisoned without hope of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

was that an episode of south park team america world police last night.

they take people kidnapped from a war zone, tortured and interned without trial for 10 years an turn back into people attacking the poor US underdogs, who still have superior and overwhleming firepower, meanwhile in real life the US claims the prisoners of guantemno are still attacking the US by refusing to eat like many do when they've been imprisoned without hope of release.

You forgot the hilarious stereotype bad Russian guy at the end

I thought this was an improvement on the pilot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a shame they copped out of the nuclear war that the books about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

P_1 wrote: »
    It's a shame they copped out of the nuclear war that the books about

Might still happen, After all someone nukes London.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

was it not Paris?

either way, im enjoying it for the most part.

But i can really see a "last resort" vibe to it where in about 6 eps, they run out of things to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

was it not Paris?

either way, im enjoying it for the most part.

But i can really see a "last resort" vibe to it where in about 6 eps, they run out of things to do!
    I'm glad we have the Russians for episode 3, hopefully they'll reaveal their dastardly motives and we can be gone before someone get's pregnant.

Noblong wrote: »
    I'm glad we have the Russians for episode 3, hopefully they'll reaveal their dastardly motives and we can be gone before someone get's pregnant.

Won't that be a requirment that the baby carries some sort of immunity and is the only way to save the world? Thats hollywood disease cure 101 man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

I thought this was an improvement on the pilot though.

It was an improvement,but some of it is so bad, like where they thought the ship at the end was English just because of the accent 4 the love of god

they gave some type of verification code which matched the book they had, presumably it was a book given to all NATO navies or something, the russians may have captured a RN ship and got access to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Great episode again this week. I love that they pick right up where the previous episode left off. Really would love watching this in a block together! There were no clangers like the super-human captain sticking his hand in an electrical mains this week and it was a little better for that. It's a great uncomplicated series that knows what you want and gives it to you in spades! Explosions, big guns, warships, killing terrorists! What's not to like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thought this was a pile of crap. Hey, never mind that the known world's ended, Al Queda are still determined to kill as many American pig dogs as possible....so on, so forth. Was cringing watching it, eventually turned it off after 30 minutes. Absolute irredeemable crap.

So this week sees a couple of red shirts being killed off, a piece of tinfoil beat a russian fire control radar and a declaration of love between two people who were just inexplciably rescued (presumably by magic) from within 100meters of a ship they just bombed.

Also there is a class scene when the captain says they are going through a shallow bay at 'high tide'. The look the 2 sailors exchange made me wonder if they knew what high tide was.

Oh and the russians are reinforced to be super super bad when the captains shoots one of his own lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So this week sees a couple of red shirts being killed off, a piece of tinfoil beat a russian fire control radar and a declaration of love between two people who were just inexplciably rescued (presumably by magic) from within 100meters of a ship they just bombed.

Also there is a class scene when the captain says they are going through a shallow bay at 'high tide'. The look the 2 sailors exchange made me wonder if they knew what high tide was.

Oh and the russians are reinforced to be super super bad when the captains shoots one of his own lads.
    Good summary and I'm also backing out of the series; it's simply not stupid funny enough to continue watching. Last two episodes I spent most of them doing something else because I was so bored.

Advertisement