Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

From a blog of last night at The Social....
    In what could be seen as a stroke of brilliance by the Irish Times in recruiting the team for online broadcasts and now selling spot advertising

http://wearestarcom.tumblr.com/post/56511139458/the-second-captains-irish-times-official-launch

I assume this means that The Irish Times is going to be selling advertising slots on the podcasts, which would make perfect sense really.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I assume this means that The Irish Times is going to be selling advertising slots on the podcasts, which would make perfect sense really.

Not surprised at all really. Hopefully it'll just be the standard 3 ads (start, middle and end) and won't be taking the piss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I'm surprised they haven't done so already because I don't think the IT's finances are in too healthy a position. Although maybe they wanted to put a run of shows out there to establish a consistent listenership before they started selling advertising spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm surprised they haven't done so already because I don't think the IT's finances are in too healthy a position. Although maybe they wanted to put a run of shows out there to establish a consistent listenership before they started selling advertising spots.

Who'd listen to ads on a podcast? Would you not just fast forward through them?

Last nights show...
    Second Captains ‏@SecondCaptains A little something for the weekend: our live show available now http://irishtimes.com/secondcaptains #4showsaweek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Marh Horgan said this on twitter

"2 shows on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday. Second Captains at 3pm and Second Captains Football at 6pm on both days"

So it is not quite spread evenly across four weekdays but it is still great that seven days won't elapse between shows any more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Probably. The IT don't really mind though, they'll still be getting some advertising money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

The Guardian have promos for their other interactive stuff on their Football weekly stuff. Usually one at the start and another half way through, if your out walking or in the gym etc you probably wouldn't be bothered skipping the ad, or if it's in the middle of a segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

as long as they keep them short and sweet it would be more hassle to fast forward past them, than to just listen to them. can't imagine they'd be too lucrative though?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Ciaran

bur wrote: »
    as long as they keep them short and sweet it would be more hassle to fast forward past them, than to just listen to them. can't imagine they'd be too lucrative though?

They've been getting 20,000+ listens for the last few shows on the Times' website which is 40% of what they were getting on the radio. That should be worth some reasonable advertising revenue, shouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I heard an IT ad on Today FM today, and I couldn't help but think how funny it'd be if they bought some ad spots during OTB and advertised the podcast. :P

There's going to be a Second captains TV show.

"The next Live Show will be at RTE studios" - Mcdevitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

There's going to be a Second captains TV show.

"The next Live Show will be at RTE studios" - Mcdevitt.

Sounds like it. Will it be a joint effort with the Irish Times?

I've been saying for years that an Irish version of something like Australia's Footy Show (AFL and Rugby League) would be a roaring success in the right hands. They could be the men for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Outstanding. They're in the door at rte? Out-flippin-standing!

:-D:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

There is a football show supposed to be appear tonight, isnt there? Or am I checking the site for nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

It's on itunes.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    It's on itunes.

At work, dont have itunes here :-(

Not on Irish Times webste :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

http://feeds.feedburner.com/secondcaptainsitcom

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

On IT site now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IT supposed to be putting up a paywall later in the year, I winder will the podcasts introduce a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Will the show be live on RTE television next Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

IT supposed to be putting up a paywall later in the year, I winder will the podcasts introduce a subscription?

I did think it's one element of the kind of new Times added value multi-media content needed to induce subscribers - but the podcasts would still be freely available as part of the metered 'soft paywall' content.

But, if the TV show takes off as an informal RTE/IT joint venture it might afford the opportunity to hard sell the podcasts as part of an IT subscriber-only package. Though in itself few if any will subscribe solely to access the podcasts - easily "pirated" too.

The decision to drop Premiership highlights should give the proposed TV show "extra legs" ... and Ken may even have to finally make acquaintance with Airtricity League. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm biased for sure but that Michael Meehan interview was when of the most entertaining interviews they've ever done. The guy is very comfortable talking in comparison to most current and former players

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus that interview with the UFC fighter was awful, Eoin tried his best but the fighter (name escapres me) came across terribly.

Haven't listened to the football show yet, that'll be my drive home this evening though.

I'm biased for sure but that Michael Meehan interview was when of the most entertaining interviews they've ever done. The guy is very comfortable talking in comparison to most current and former players

He came across very well alright. And he wasnt afraid (eventually) to pick an all-Ireland winner when asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Ya that UFC guy sounded like an awful ejjit! It was boring and he didnt come across as likeable or interesting, all the sh yte talk of money and cars, not the kind of guy I would be too interested in winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

At least he was honest about it. Can't imagine too many footballers admitting they only moved for money when it is usually the case. He definitely needs a new PR manager.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    At least he was honest about it. Can't imagine too many footballers admitting they only moved for money when it is usually the case. He definitely needs a new PR manager.

Agreed. I actually enjoyed his interview because it sounded like he was being completely honest and not reading from a script or from a bank of prepared answers.

• Advertisement

I was very disappointed with the football show.

Their GAA coverage is top notch though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement