Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone else apply for tickets? I did and got a reply asking what county I was from and which previous shows I had attended. I was at three offtheball shows in the past. Always enjoyed the nights

So are you given preference if you were at a previous show? Or not at a previous show?

Strange response to get, isnt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

wonder if that fella off the podcast who had a great feeling about Mcilroy in the open put his house down on it like he told the rest of us to do...gob****e.

the podcasts are mediocre at best...the lads f*cked up royally,
    lets face it, so can ye quit creaming yourselves everytime they are making a "special announcement" which amounts to squat...in fairness what do u expect when you give an ultimatum to a billionaire, complete total and utter bollocks that he may be, he was shrewd enough to realise that they werent bigger than the show and that he could give them the flick quick and easy with a smooth transition, and thats whats happened, ratings still good and nobody would know they were
    ever there. that was a dumb move

not totally on topic but for the record, I think the lads that took over are doing a great job, it's just as entertaining and seems to have less ego and more decent constructive debate and discussion, in fact IMO more and more realise that Murph fella was just plain and simple annoying at the best of times.

it is a shame tho, has beens or coulda beens, not sure what you'd call them, either way the podcasts are just s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

its an absolute load of ****e. not to mention the problems they are having with audio. Is there an iphone in the middle of the table using that voice record app?

heard a bit of saddler going on about the death of his dog and initially i thought he was talking about his aul lad. muppet. (just wanted to stick that in)

looks like they had a pretty good background/research team in newstalk which they didnt bring with them.

brutal. dreadful. awful.

big shame
    wonder if that fella off the podcast who had a great feeling about Mcilroy in the open put his house down on it like he told the rest of us to do...gob****e.

the podcasts are mediocre at best...the lads f*cked up royally,
    lets face it, so can ye quit creaming yourselves everytime they are making a "special announcement" which amounts to squat...in fairness what do u expect when you give an ultimatum to a billionaire, complete total and utter bollocks that he may be, he was shrewd enough to realise that they werent bigger than the show and that he could give them the flick quick and easy with a smooth transition, and thats whats happened, ratings still good and nobody would know they were
    ever there. that was a dumb move

not totally on topic but for the record, I think the lads that took over are doing a great job, it's just as entertaining and seems to have less ego and more decent constructive debate and discussion, in fact IMO more and more realise that Murph fella was just plain and simple annoying at the best of times.

it is a shame tho, has beens or coulda beens, not sure what you'd call them, either way the podcasts are just s**t.

Your two contributions here are a bit biased. It might not be fo everyone but these are ridiculously over the top... Don't like it don't listen in fairness. They have only made one announcement thus far. Most popular podcast in Ireland since they started out. Not great maybe, but not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Your two contributions here are a bit biased. It might not be fo everyone but these are ridiculously over the top... Don't like it don't listen in fairness. They have only made one announcement thus far. Most popular podcast in Ireland since they started out. Not great maybe, but not bad either.

Lads, if anyone gets tickets but cant make it or has spare etc would they kindly give me a shout? I applied but nothing back so I assume im not in the running. Ill repay you with a drink. Might be water.

soc160 wrote: »
    Lads, if anyone gets tickets but cant make it or has spare etc would they kindly give me a shout? I applied but nothing back so I assume im not in the running. Ill repay you with a drink. Might be water.

@SecondCaptains: Big thanks to the crazy amount of people who applied for tickets to next Thurs live show.We'll be emailing winners on Mon morn #SoundAuldLot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

yeah, but in fairness that's what I am saying, I've had enough of it. my first contribution was a long while back when it first started, the audio was so poor it was unlistenable, my most recent contribution was after listening quite a bit, I find it amateurish and that they aren't all they are cracked up to be, the guests they have with the exception of a few are pretty much bottom barrel, Howard hotly tipping mcilroy without even being challenged on his logic as to why followed by a sympathiser to the Jamaican running team and the nasty supplement providers was just poor journalism and interviewing....so I had enough.

harsh words by me if it was only one big announcement, sorry. and I should probably have waited til I heard what they say before shooting my gob off.

I don't think I was being bias as i used be a big fan of the show and i just think what they produce now is crap, for want of a better word. i guess I'm just venting in frustration and as its a forum I think it's fair enough to slate as much as applaud the show, and well, I just think its garbage, I'd say the times will be gutted they've lost my single download and listenership ;-)

yeah, but in fairness that's what I am saying, I've had enough of it. my first contribution was a long while back when it first started, the audio was so poor it was unlistenable, my most recent contribution was after listening quite a bit, I find it amateurish and that they aren't all they are cracked up to be, the guests they have with the exception of a few are pretty much bottom barrel, Howard hotly tipping mcilroy without even being challenged on his logic as to why followed by a sympathiser to the Jamaican running team and the nasty supplement providers was just poor journalism and interviewing....so I had enough.

harsh words by me if it was only one big announcement, sorry. and I should probably have waited til I heard what they say before shooting my gob off.

I don't think I was being bias as i used be a big fan of the show and i just think what they produce now is crap, for want of a better word. i guess I'm just venting in frustration and as its a forum I think it's fair enough to slate as much as applaud the show, and well, I just think its garbage, I'd say the times will be gutted they've lost my single download and listenership ;-)

Far be it from me to stop you slating or applauding them or anyone. We all have free speech and our own individual taste. Knock yourself out. I just disagree with you.

I think the podcast is a nice little addition to sports media coverage for all of us. Good on the lads for trying anyway. I disagree with your broadside on the calibre of contributors. I think they have been surprisingly good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Why have they chosen JNLR day to make the announcement and have their first live show? It's hardly a coincidence.

I just got an email. 3 tickets. Whoop :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is the live show in place of the regular show this week? Or is it running as well as the regular show?

Also, I assume the live show will be podcasted, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Far be it from me to stop you slating or applauding them or anyone. We all have free speech and our own individual taste. Knock yourself out. I just disagree with you.

I think the podcast is a nice little addition to sports media coverage for all of us. Good on the lads for trying anyway. I disagree with your broadside on the calibre of contributors. I think they have been surprisingly good so far.

i'm not sure about the calibre of the guests. the regulars are just their buddies/siblings (richie sadlier/Us murph & shane horgan) or people with a gripe against newstalk (eamonn dunphy).
    nicky english is probably the best of the regulars, maybe because he's talking about what's current.

the sound is still dreadful. it sounded like oisin mcconville was mumbling the whole time on last weeks podcast. when you turn it up to hear what he's saying, you have to turn it down for the next person talking. seriously, you can even out the volume on a few songs for an mp3 player easily enough before transferring them, surely they can do something better here.

i'll still download it and listen to it though, as you say, it's a nice little addition, but it's not the be all and end all, and i wouldn't be too bothered if i missed one. i do think it's a shame that in the middle of the irish soccer season, i haven't heard anything about league of ireland football.

i reckon the big announcement will be something on sellotanta sports tv, like when the used to have the radio show broadcast late in the evenings a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Have to agree on the audio quality, it's shockingly poor at times.

It sounds to me like they're turning the faders up and down a lot which is making it inconsistent as hell. Like, when a person on the phone isn't talking, they appear to turn their fader down and then ram it back up when they start talking again. Really irritating to have the first few words of a sentence really quiet and then have your ears blown off.

Now, maybe this technique worked on the NT equipment, but it's not working on what they're using now IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I used to listen to the show years ago, (2008 ish), when i worked evenings, always enjoyed it but when i moved to 9-5 i didnt get the chance to listen. Downloaded the current episode of the podcast, enjoyed it, but more for the serious stuff, the stabs at humour dont really grab me tbh. Also while im aware its GAA season, i thought they focused a bit too much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I used to listen to the show years ago, (2008 ish), when i worked evenings, always enjoyed it but when i moved to 9-5 i didnt get the chance to listen. Downloaded the current episode of the podcast, enjoyed it, but more for the serious stuff, the stabs at humour dont really grab me tbh. Also while im aware its GAA season, i thought they focused a bit too much on it.
    In fairness there aren't many other sports on at the moment especially with the tour de France now over

So is the second announcement in today's podcast or Thursday at the live-show?

I am hoping for a free TShirt Thursday night, my old OTB TShirts are gone very tatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

I seem to be one of the unlucky few who missed out on a ticket. If anyone has one spare drop me a PM. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

So is the second announcement in today's podcast or Thursday at the live-show?

I am hoping for a free TShirt Thursday night, my old OTB TShirts are gone very tatty.

Eoin said last week that they would be celebrating the announcement of some news regarding the show on Thursday. I expected to hear that news on today's podcast but no mention at all.

Listened to yesterday's podcast...

No announcement = :(
    Tour de France discussion = :)
    No PBESO = :( :pac:
    Thursday show this week = :D
    Discussion on Sky vs BT Sports = :) at the start, but ended with :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I missed out on tickets as well. I have a mate over from Australia who would love to go so if anyone has a spare +2 could they let me know.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why is there a second show this week? Will that be a regular thing now?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why is there a second show this week? Will that be a regular thing now?

There's a live show in a pub in Dublin tomorrow night and they are going to make an announcement about the show at it. A podcast of this live show will be out Friday morning-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

4 days a week, they must be driving figures into the Irish Times website or something to think they can afford to keep going. Good news is good. :D:D

From The Times...
    The Second Captains podcasts at The Irish Times will move to four shows per week from the start of August, it was announced this afternoon.
    The top-rated show, featuring the multi-award winning team of Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan, has been broadcast on a weekly basis on irishtimes.com since May.
    “Second Captains has been a significant success to date for The Irish Times,” Malachy Logan, sports editor of The Irish Times, said today. “The announcement of additional shows will only add to the reputation of the broadcasters and The Irish Times for being at the forefront of the most informed analysis of national and international sporting issues.
    “Second Captains is delivered with an irreverence and humour that has endeared the team to a young audience that is often hard to impress.”
    Two of the new slots will be football specials, with the other two continuing to cover whatever is topical in the sporting world.
    “We’ve been blown away by the reaction to the show so far from our listeners at home and abroad and we can’t wait to broadcast at least four times a week from now on,” added Mark Horgan, producer of Second Captains. “We’re delighted to team up with the Irish Times and together we feel that this is just the start of where we can bring online radio in Ireland.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains-prepare-to-go-viral-1.1474899

Two football shows a week - I can't wait.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Two football shows a week - I can't wait.:)
    Can't wait either! I haven't listened very much to the podcast so far, because it's mostly GAA at the time, but I'll tune in to the two weekly association football shows!

Just home from the show, got my right size T Shirt :-)

I thought it was really good, free pint, free T Shirt, great guests. What more do you want. I think I'll def be on the camera tomorrow... Gonna look like a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Fair play to the IT. Love the Second Cap. Legends Tuna fish......:D

Was the show recorded for audio or visual purposes?

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Was the show recorded for audio or visual purposes?

Visual, it is going to be a video podcast I think. They had some audio issues during the recording. I hope they can clean that up.

Interestingly, they also mentioned before the show started that this would be shown to RTÉ. Heard it here first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement