Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Its a shame we haven't got a totally sports orientated radio station. Something like an Irish version of Talk Sport. I think there would be a keen interest in it.

Balls.ie reporting that second captains have got the green light from rte as regards TV show.
    http://balls.ie/football/second-captains-rte-show-gets-green-light/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hope they get B-Hop on again sometime, his interviews were always hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Looking forward to this already. Love the podcasts over the last few weeks.

Second Captains ‏@SecondCaptains 50m
    We're very excited to confirm that our new TV show Second Captains Live will begin on Sep 10th on RTE 2! Thanks for all the tweets everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Here's the skinny: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/second-captains-rte-tv-show-1053822-Aug2013/

The first episode of “Second Captains Live” will air on 10 September, the night of Ireland’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Austria in Vienna...
    “Think Gamesmaster meets Crystal Maze meets Live at 3 meets Golden Girls with the set being a tasteful recreation of the Aztec zone.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Listened to the Second Captains for the first time last week, for the Kelly interview.

Have to say it - Eoin McDevitt is the best interviewer in this country, in any genre. I really hope he sticks with it because he gets more out of an interviewee than any other media person in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Here's the skinny: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/second-captains-rte-tv-show-1053822-Aug2013/

The first episode of “Second Captains Live” will air on 10 September, the night of Ireland’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Austria in Vienna...
    “Think Gamesmaster meets Crystal Maze meets Live at 3 meets Golden Girls with the set being a tasteful recreation of the Aztec zone.”

Makes sense that they might be long term successors to Dunphy et al.....

I'm sure Johnny Giles would give them a hand in that direction, they seem to get on well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I remember Roddy alright, he's kind of hard to forget. Was it Wensdays nights, just before 8? Never on the football show though. Maybe they'll cover the LOI in the 3 o'clock podcasts.

Last time Roddy was on the Football Show was during the Ireland v Estonia game. Roddy and Ken were rowing about how Ireland would get slaughtered in the Euros

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Last time Roddy was on the Football Show was during the Ireland v Estonia game. Roddy and Ken were rowing about how Ireland would get slaughtered in the Euros

Who was saying which?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Who was saying which?

They were actually in agreement i.e. Ireland were going be slaughtered. It's Eoin, Murph and whole load of irate texters who they were rowing with. How right they were in the end.

It got a bit heated. I remember Ken coming out with the line - "Journalism is a search for the truth" and he accused Murph of being a fan with a microphone.:D You won't get radio like with the "new" OTB crowd, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Guess they're pretty happy to have quit Newstalk now. They have their heads screwed on and hopefully the TV show is a big success.

• Advertisement

According to The Mail the show has been commissioned by RTE's new comedy department, not the sports department. Which made me winch a bit when I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Anyone else have issues with the audio quality with @secondcaptains?

When you are listening the volume of the voices goes up and down, sometimes nearly blows my ears off when they laugh or raise their voices to emphasize a point. Turn it down and it becomes inaudible at points.

I don't have any problems like this with other pods like Football Weekly or The Game??

Maybe they need someone like Producer Ben?

Good show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Anyone else have issues with the audio quality with @secondcaptains?

When you are listening the volume of the voices goes up and down, sometimes nearly blows my ears off when they laugh or raise their voices to emphasize a point. Turn it down and it becomes inaudible at points.

I don't have any problems like this with other pods like Football Weekly or The Game??

Maybe they need someone like Producer Ben?

Good show though.

the sound has been like that since the get go. it made GAA unbearable as oisin mcconville is the worst mumbler in the world and it's a pain in the hole when he says something funny that everyone else laughs at.

young horgan hasn't been taken on by RTE according to thescore.ie. looks like their gentleman's agreement could only go so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

It's ruining a decent show for me, hopefully they sort it out soon.

young horgan hasn't been taken on by RTE according to thescore.ie. looks like their gentleman's agreement could only go so far.

Can you give a link? I can't find anything on the website about this.

Can you give a link? I can't find anything on the website about this.

http://www.thescore.ie/second-captains-rte-tv-show-1053822-Aug2013/

in the text under the photo. maybe i'm misreading it. balls.ie say all 5 will be there.
    either way, will be interesting to see what hick (and horgan) will bring to the show.

http://www.thescore.ie/second-captains-rte-tv-show-1053822-Aug2013/

in the text under the photo. maybe i'm misreading it. balls.ie say all 5 will be there.
    either way, will be interesting to see what hick (and horgan) will bring to the show.

I think you misreaded it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Only time I really notice the dip in sound is when Richie Sadlier is on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I wonder will they delay today's Football podcast for the CL draw? Would be a shame if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Jaysus, Graham Hunters line was shocking. Unlistenable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sound is poor alright at times, especially when Ken laughs or goes off on a rant, blows the ear off you..

My reading of the score article is that the '4 out of 5 ain't bad' comment refers to the fact that the photo only includes 4 out of the team. Can't imagine they wouldn't all be there.

I assume the work Simon & Mark do is largely behind the scenes, wouldn't be missed unless one of them left. Looking forward to the TV show now..

dulpit wrote: »

My reading of the score article is that the '4 out of 5 ain't bad' comment refers to the fact that the photo only includes 4 out of the team. Can't imagine they wouldn't all be there.

I assume the work Simon & Mark do is largely behind the scenes, wouldn't be missed unless one of them left. Looking forward to the TV show now..

The five of them are involved alright.

BTWciVQIgAAUhlt.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is that a spoof of an album cover, looks vaguely familiar...

Is that a spoof of an album cover, looks vaguely familiar...

The only sofa related album covers I can think of is The Cranberries first two albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A bit cringey really, Did a photography student from Griffith College take that? Put your shirt on mate for christ's sake, you look too old for that kind of horseacting.

Piece in the times about leaving Newstalk, new TV show...etc

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/second-captains-find-a-new-pitch-1.1518580

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seems to be a new show up today.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Seems to be a new show up today.

they'll be a bit too busy tomorrow with the tv show i'd imagine. interesting to see what kind of viewership they'll get since the match will more than likely be of no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

they'll be a bit too busy tomorrow with the tv show i'd imagine. interesting to see what kind of viewership they'll get since the match will more than likely be of no consequence.

That's a bit unfortunate for them. On the other hand, the TV show has been getting good promotion on RTE (I saw adverts during Ireland v Sweden and during the All Ireland Hurling final).

I like the idea of a Monday Podcast - the weekend's Sport is still fresh in the memory. Perhaps they should consider a permanent move to Mondays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Football show at six too. Brilliant, i can listen to it on the way to five a side: the way it's meant to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement