Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Good stuff this week,particularly Richie Sadlier's tale of a face off with Stan in Coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Any word on those developments they mentioned two weeks back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

soc160 wrote: »
    Any word on those developments they mentioned two weeks back?

Not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

The audio for Shane Horgan seemed much improved this week. I think Trevor Hogan is a great addition to the show, really good analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Syferus wrote: »
    I think you need to listen to more podcasts if you think Second Captains is too good for the internet.

Woof!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Woof!
    I listen to Football Weekly religiously but it doesn't have the same calibre of guests, quality of insight and (obviously) breadth of coverage as Second Captains

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Reekwind wrote: »
    I listen to Football Weekly religiously but it doesn't have the same calibre of guests, quality of insight and (obviously) breadth of coverage as Second Captains

I disagree to be honest. I think Football Weekly is second to none when it comes to soccer.

Really enjoyed Richie's segment this week on punditry. Found it really interesting to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't want to overstress this because we do, happily, live in a world where we can listen to both. But for me FW is more an extension of the football pages; that is, you get good journalists doing a good round-up of European football. Which is fine

SC goes beyond this is bringing slightly more cerebral and eclectic approach to the table, often through the quality of the input/interviews. You wouldn't have heard Richie's piece on FW and you wouldn't have heard Eamon Dunphy talk about class divisions in 1950s Dublin. This, plus getting the likes of Darragh O'Se and Oisin McConville in a room to talk GAA, is what elevates SC above a podcast for me. It feels much weightier and like it should be on the radio

Again, I love FW and listen to it obsessively but it doesn't have this same strength of content. Which is probably why I listen to both

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Really enjoyed it again this week, but I think it is time to put PBESO to bed, it is getting very laboured.

If they want to engage social media they should run some competitions, it might get their name out to a larger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Just listened back to a few football show podcasts yesterday. Ken Earlys news round really was an outstanding half an hour of radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

In addition to yesterdays podcast, they're releasing one today in light of Brian O'Driscoll being dropped from the Lions squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

BOD Special is up now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Great work by the team in getting the Bodcast special arranged and uploaded so soon.

It reminded me of the old days hearing McDevitt discussing the main story of the day, and not going over old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Skid X wrote: »
    Great work by the team in getting the Bodcast special arranged and uploaded so soon.

It reminded me of the old days hearing McDevitt discussing the main story of the day, and not going over old news.

i usually listen to the podcast on wednesdays when driving, and was thinking this morning how pointless the once a week is. if they did a shorter one more frequently it would be better.

as for the input, richie sadlier over the past few weeks is quickly becoming another johnny giles, reminiscing about times past and his playing days.

don't recall hearing him or shane horgan on off the ball since also.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

as for the input, richie sadlier over the past few weeks is quickly becoming another johnny giles, reminiscing about times past and his playing days.

I agree about Sadlier. He has nothing like the playing career or experience of Giles etc, so should stick to analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Google reader now gone, what other feed sites can we use to import into beyond pod?

Nwm2 wrote: »
    I agree about Sadlier. He has nothing like the playing career or experience of Giles etc, so should stick to analysis.

I disagree, his anecdotes about hazing in the Millwall dressing room, the FIFA world youth championships, squaring up to Stan in coppers and the late frank sadlier were all very enjoyable.

The light relief in these stories along with the in depth analysis is what made these guys popular in the first place. I for one don't want a clinical, analysis only approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

niallo24 wrote: »
    Google reader now gone, what other feed sites can we use to import into beyond pod?

http://feeds.feedburner.com/secondcaptainsitcom

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No Richie again this week, he's off in Asia looking for a new Frank -

BOwX_HCCYAAqGYY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

New podcast up. They are having a live show next week in the Grand Social where they are going to make a special announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Cazale wrote: »
    New podcast up. They are having a live show next week in the Grand Social where they are going to make a special announcement.

I think the Live Show will celebrate the announcement which will actually be made on next Tuesday's podcast. Any guesses as to substance of the special announcement? Surely it is either an increase in the number of IT podcasts per week or else a permanent slot on Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

How do you apply for tickets to the live show? Text, e-mail or twitter? Can't listen to it at the moment and really wanna go and apply asap......

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

The email address they gave for ordering tickets was live@secondcaptains.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I think the Live Show will celebrate the announcement which will actually be made on next Tuesday's podcast. Any guesses as to substance of the special announcement? Surely it is either an increase in the number of IT podcasts per week or else a permanent slot on Radio?

At at a guess I would say it will be about an extra weekly podcast, most likely a football show - which would be great. As time goes on the chances of a permanent slot on radio is getting less and less I think. However, Dan Healy's not very active twitter account is following @secondcapains and three of the lads. Maybe there is still a chance, but given Healy's recent public utterances it would be a very slim one.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

At at a guess I would say it will be about an extra weekly podcast, most likely a football show - which would be great. As time goes on the chances of a permanent slot on radio is getting less and less I think. However, Dan Healy's not very active twitter account is following @secondcapains and three of the lads. Maybe there is still a chance, but given Healy's recent public utterances it would be a very slim one.

Their own TV slot on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Game On interview last night by Hugh Cahill with an Irish athlete who had been in Tyson Gay's training camp showed up again how sorely missed the OTB originals are.

The interviewee kept saying that yes, intentional drug taking was cheating, intentional oh yes, yes of course.

The elephant in the room being that Gay and Powell are saying they trusted others to mix up their supplements and so they did nothing intentional.

Cahill never pressed him on this - didn't seem to pick the equivocation up at all. Wouldn't have got away with that with McDevitt asking the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I can't see the lads using their Irish Times podcast to announce anything that is not directly related to the irish times in some way. Maybe it's video podcasts. Maybe it's more shows. But I don't see them announcing a move to RTÉ or the like (unless of course the Irish Times are involved directly).

Anyone else apply for tickets? I did and got a reply asking what county I was from and which previous shows I had attended. I was at three offtheball shows in the past. Always enjoyed the nights

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah, I got the same e-mail. It mentions the show is being filmed on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Weekly webcast would be my guess. Streaming live on IT's site, with opportunities for people to email questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement